Media Literacy and Fake News (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ayo

Spirit Grocer
    Reaction score
    The Canadian Journalism Federation is taking fake news very seriously. I've worked with media literacy for years, and this is - to date - the most expansively public approach that I've seen, in advance of the Federal Election.

If you are engaged online, you have likely been subjected to something that was not true, and yet there isn't much pursuit in trying to determine factual accuracy of the articles and information. And most of us - probably every single one of us here - have fallen for it.

Recent polling by Ipsos, Earnscliffe Strategy Group and MIT researchers suggests nearly all Canadians have come across misinformation online, yet only 40 per cent feel they know how to differentiate between fake news and the real thing.

The polls also found 90 per cent of Canadians admitted to falling for fake news in the past, and only a third of them regularly check to see if the stories they’re consuming are legitimate.

I don't think that their approach is going to be enough. I think the most effective utility it will have is bringing awareness. But fuller approaches to media literacy are going to be necessary to combat the deluge of increasingly deceptive media. These are hard skills that can be learned, but with the advent of new 'deep fake' technology, media literacy is going to have adapt, too.

I would like to see greater emphasis on media literacy in the US. Because even though this statement is for the Canadian audience, it definitely - maybe even more so - applies to the US where news is more infotainment and sensationalized than it is up here:
    “To be an engaged citizen, you have to have access to quality journalism… you have to understand what is quality journalism and what is not,” said Richard Gingras, vice-president of Google News.

Another source includes one approach - the SPOT approach: https://www.manitoulin.ca/news-media-canada-launches-new-tool-to-help-people-spot-fake-news/

SPOT is an acronym that acts as a simple way to remember the four principles of identifying misinformation. It works like this:
    S: Is this a credible source? Check the source of the article—and be skeptical.
    P: Is the perspective biased? Think critically and look for varying viewpoints on an issue.
    O: Are other sources reporting the same story? Be your own fact-checker and verify the validity of the story.
    T: Is the story timely? Check the date the story was published—sometimes, stories use old information to take advantage of a timely occurrence.

It's obviously not enough, but a decent start.

Hi beach dude!

I am glad you are of the camp that even the tiny shirt goes way over your head.

The drunk guy getting rolled in the quarter was an analogy. It was comparing the idiot that social medias all his stuff and then complains when he has criminals at his door.

But yes I am sure you would be the drunk guy that gets rolled and cry's about crime rather than look inward to fix
    obvious problems.

It kinda fits like crying about the Mexicans stealing your jobs chant build a wall rather than look at why they are. You know looking inward for answers rather than point your lazy finger. You see it fits like a glove.

It really wasn't complex. You simply used a second example to make sure that everyone understood that your moral compass is off, as if it wasn't clear from the first.

No need for a third BTW, we got it.

And you think they’re alone in that among the major networks? Really?

I'd have to say Morning Joe is analysis and commentary and sometimes heavy handed, but more factual than Fox.

I like NPR.

Hey,@Beach Friends, good job on this catch.

Let me even support your cause a bit more.

I had not seen or read Barr’s full quote. But I had seen this snip of what he had said (I don’t remember where, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t MSNBC, meaning that other outlets also took the opportunity to take this low-hanging fruit out of context.)

From my perspective, Barr had said what Todd accused him of saying, and honestly, without your post, I would have just kept on believing that that’s what he said. So good on you for bringing this to our attention, because it showed me a direct example of my perspective being what appears to be intentionally influenced.

Now here’s the thing. In light of new information, I am absolutely changing my opinion.

Can you self-evaluate and do the same when presented with new information?

Hey,@Beach Friends, good job on this catch.

Let me even support your cause a bit more.

I had not seen or read Barr’s full quote. But I had seen this snip of what he had said (I don’t remember where, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t MSNBC, meaning that other outlets also took the opportunity to take this low-hanging fruit out of context.)

From my perspective, Barr had said what Todd accused him of saying, and honestly, without your post, I would have just kept on believing that that’s what he said. So good on you for bringing this to our attention, because it showed me a direct example of my perspective being what appears to be intentionally influenced.

Now here’s the thing. In light of new information, I am absolutely changing my opinion.

Can you self-evaluate and do the same when presented with new information?
    Will you reevaluate your views on Trump Russia collusion and the Flynn investigation with all the recently released evidence that pokes even more holes in both investigations?

It looks like the dishonest Chuck Todd is back at his game again about purposefully not providing full context to a subject they are discussing.

Complete fact checking of candidate statements should include the fact the Biden’s claims of NAACP organizational endorsements are false.

CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin finally calls out co-host Joe Kernen on Squawk this morning. He might have over-stated it but he's totally right about Joe's posture over the past four months. Kernen has been rolling his eyes at coronavirus response and towing any line that Trump throws out there. I used to enjoy that show years ago but Kernen becoming the whiny MAGA boomer just got too much. Defend the policy, fine - I have no issue with that. But his incessant whiny, sarcastic tone about anything contrary to Trump interests has become a huge turnoff.

CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin finally calls out co-host Joe Kernen on Squawk this morning. He might have over-stated it but he's totally right about Joe's posture over the past four months. Kernen has been rolling his eyes at coronavirus response and towing any line that Trump throws out there. I used to enjoy that show years ago but Kernen becoming the whiny MAGA boomer just got too much. Defend the policy, fine - I have no issue with that. But his incessant whiny, sarcastic tone about anything contrary to Trump interests has become a huge turnoff.

This is unbelievable... Maybe they are all nuts.

[video]

Tucker modeling the blatant hypocrisy that is his chief attribute. Open carry for me but not for thee.

Let black lives matter protestors start carrying ARs around and see how people change their tune.

Tucker modeling the blatant hypocrisy that is his chief attribute. Open carry for me but not for thee.

Let black lives matter protestors start carrying ARs around and see how people change their tune.

Tucker had nearly 6 Million viewers last night, making his show the most watched show broadcast.

Congratulations to Tucker and his staff!

Carl appeals to prejudice and fear. The fact he's "popular" doesn't reflect well on his fans.

On the bright side, my parents seem to be seeing through the charade given the current pandemic and seeing clearly the right wing couldn't care less if they die for the sake of the economy.

Maybe the frozen fish trust fund guy needs his own thread. I really wasn’t going to pile on, but geez, he’s just too freaking stupid. Sorry, not sorry, this kind of moronic twaddle hit close to home with me. I have a close relative in law enforcement, someone who is an extremely good man. Someone who has worked 30 hours in two days recently. Someone who has been screamed at two times in very close quarters by people trying to provoke him. Someone who has gladly taken a knee in solidarity with legitimate protestors two times in two days. And this freaking trust fund idiot is speaking the worst sort of inflammatory bullshirt from his clean studio. What a contemptible dolt.

Maybe the frozen fish trust fund guy needs his own thread. I really wasn’t going to pile on, but geez, he’s just too freaking stupid. Sorry, not sorry, this kind of moronic twaddle hit close to home with me. I have a close relative in law enforcement, someone who is an extremely good man. Someone who has worked 30 hours in two days recently. Someone who has been screamed at two times in very close quarters by people trying to provoke him. Someone who has gladly taken a knee in solidarity with legitimate protestors two times in two days. And this freaking trust fund idiot is speaking the worst sort of inflammatory bullshirt from his clean studio. What a contemptible dolt.

But he had the most viewers by far in his time slot last night!!! Congrats to Tucker and his awesome staff!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom