Media Literacy and Fake News (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ayo

Spirit Grocer
    Reaction score
    The Canadian Journalism Federation is taking fake news very seriously. I've worked with media literacy for years, and this is - to date - the most expansively public approach that I've seen, in advance of the Federal Election.

If you are engaged online, you have likely been subjected to something that was not true, and yet there isn't much pursuit in trying to determine factual accuracy of the articles and information. And most of us - probably every single one of us here - have fallen for it.

Recent polling by Ipsos, Earnscliffe Strategy Group and MIT researchers suggests nearly all Canadians have come across misinformation online, yet only 40 per cent feel they know how to differentiate between fake news and the real thing.

The polls also found 90 per cent of Canadians admitted to falling for fake news in the past, and only a third of them regularly check to see if the stories they’re consuming are legitimate.

I don't think that their approach is going to be enough. I think the most effective utility it will have is bringing awareness. But fuller approaches to media literacy are going to be necessary to combat the deluge of increasingly deceptive media. These are hard skills that can be learned, but with the advent of new 'deep fake' technology, media literacy is going to have adapt, too.

I would like to see greater emphasis on media literacy in the US. Because even though this statement is for the Canadian audience, it definitely - maybe even more so - applies to the US where news is more infotainment and sensationalized than it is up here:
    “To be an engaged citizen, you have to have access to quality journalism… you have to understand what is quality journalism and what is not,” said Richard Gingras, vice-president of Google News.

Another source includes one approach - the SPOT approach: https://www.manitoulin.ca/news-media-canada-launches-new-tool-to-help-people-spot-fake-news/

SPOT is an acronym that acts as a simple way to remember the four principles of identifying misinformation. It works like this:
    S: Is this a credible source? Check the source of the article—and be skeptical.
    P: Is the perspective biased? Think critically and look for varying viewpoints on an issue.
    O: Are other sources reporting the same story? Be your own fact-checker and verify the validity of the story.
    T: Is the story timely? Check the date the story was published—sometimes, stories use old information to take advantage of a timely occurrence.

It's obviously not enough, but a decent start.

The mental gymnastics Trump supporters go through to find excuses for his behavior or a reason to kiss his backend never cease to amaze me.

Yes, the media makes mistakes, yes they have bias, so everything they report is a lie? So everything they post that's negative about Trump is fake?

Do you Trump supporters know any doctors or nurses in NYC or Jersey? I do.

It's a warzone. People are dying in the halls before they can be triaged.

Yes, one news station ran a video of an Italian Hospital and misrepresented it as a NYC hospital, yes that's improper, but to use that to discount or disprove the chaos that is actually happening in NYC hospitals is THE. WORST. KIND. OF. PARTISANSHIP.

So the other station was lazy and got duped by a fake nurse. So that must mean that there is no shortage of supplies and these nurses aren't asked to go do that right?

A personal friend of mine is a nurse practitioner, they don't have proper PPE, the docotors make her deal with the COVIDs because "she's more expendable than the doctor" This is her first assignment after graduating NP school.

Get over your flocking selves with the "fake news" "COVID is exaggerated" bull poop.

I have lost family members, friends, a former coworker, and now one of my students is sick.

But fake news....

It’s retroactive rationalizations for choices they know will never change.

That’s why when examined against one another to find some larger guiding philosophy, there is never coherency, and therefore nothing to really debate(in the classic sense of debate as persuasion). Because the only coherency that makes these often diametrically opposed ideas make sense is partisan devotion. You would be better off trying to convert a Saints fan to a Falcons fan than trying to convince a Trump voter to abandon ship using facts, logic, and pointing out hypocrisy.

Only through that prism does the mountain of hypocrisy and diametrically opposed defenses and excuses make sense.

I’m open to debating this hypothesis, but I haven’t really heard a convincing counter-point.

The mental gymnastics Trump supporters go through to find excuses for his behavior or a reason to kiss his backend never cease to amaze me.

Yes, the media makes mistakes, yes they have bias, so everything they report is a lie? So everything they post that's negative about Trump is fake?

Yes, one news station ran a video of an Italian Hospital and misrepresented it as a NYC hospital, yes that's improper, but to use that to discount or disprove the chaos that is actually happening in NYC hospitals is THE. WORST. KIND. OF. PARTISANSHIP.

So the other station was lazy and got duped by a fake nurse. So that must mean that there is no shortage of supplies and these nurses aren't asked to go do that right?

A personal friend of mine is a nurse practitioner, they don't have proper PPE, the docotors make her deal with the COVIDs because "she's more expendable than the doctor" This is her first assignment after graduating NP school.

Get over your flocking selves with the "fake news" "COVID is exaggerated" bull poop.

I have lost family members, friends, a former coworker, and now one of my students is sick.

But fake news....

Good post....

Three posts in the Fake News thread that aren't about fake news, instead they're about condemnation, recrimination and lecturing fellow posters.

OK.

The "nurse" was a mental patient who went on a video rant and Bernie Sanders and CBS ran with it. Terrible.

Perhaps we should find other mental patients and put them on video too.

Three posts in the Fake News thread that aren't about fake news, instead they're about condemnation, recrimination and lecturing fellow posters.

OK.

The "nurse" was a mental patient who went on a video rant and Bernie Sanders and CBS ran with it. Terrible.

Was the nurse a mental patient? I thought she was just a fake nurse.

OK.

Yet you ignore lie after lie by this administration.

Yet you ignore the total lack of leadership that is causing death to fellow Americans.

I think the death rate in New York is what three times the amount from 9/11.

Oh yeah we are talking about the same guy that bragged about having the tallest building after it. Oh by the way that was a lie also.

But keep bringing up two things to hang your hat on.

She must have been a very serious case...if she wasn't a troll.
    Watching the news "triggered" her, she said.
    After Bernie Sanders' campaign and CBS picked up her story, it was run world-wide by the British press and Aljazeera.
    Shortly after that, the whole story collapsed as her social media posts came to light.

Yet you ignore the total lack of leadership that is causing death to fellow Americans.

Oh yeah we are talking about the same guy that bragged about having the tallest building after it. Oh by the way that was a lie also.

Hi Moose.

Perhaps you should start a thread about that.
    Wait, there's already a daily Trump tracker thread.
    Suggestion: Less talk about your fellow posters. More talk about the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

Dadsdream

Trump has always been a liar seeking grandiose publicity. Take it back to 1983.. He's nothing special... but he sure was rubbing elbows with money laundering operations for over a decade.

Hi Moose.

Perhaps you should start a thread about that.
    Wait, there's already a daily Trump tracker thread.
    Suggestion: Less talk about your fellow posters. More talk about the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

Dadsdream

Hi DD

We are in this thread that was created about fake news what months ago.

About Canada no less.

This thread has become the find the handful of things that were wrong in the 24 hour news cycle of hundreds of sources that don't pucker up and smooch as well as Fox news.

I know all can't be as good as the TV dinner guy you love. Or was that someone else in love with the fox news Swanson guy?

The thing I was pointing out is just how silly it is for this thread to still be talking about a nurse from weeks ago while daily you ignore the complete lies from this administration.

Complete lies that kill Americans!

Please continue you quest for the truth in news here.

Be safe

"anxiety and bi-polar depression."

I suffer from anxiety and depression. I am not a "mental patient." That term is derogatory and dismissive. Please stop slandering people.

In addition, why is the word nurse in quotes? The implication is that she was not a real nurse. That's not true. Even in the social media posts that you claim show her to be a fake, she says she is a nurse.

Also, since you have jumped back into the topic, what are your thoughts on post 610 in this thread?

Watching the news "triggered" her, she said.
    After Bernie Sanders' campaign and CBS picked up her story, it was run world-wide by the British press and Aljazeera.
    Shortly after that, the whole story collapsed as her social media posts came to light.

Nurses don't have enough PPE so they are wearing the same mask and gown etc from patient to patient. This is against all protocol and in another time, they would be scolded and written up for doing such a dangerous thing and putting themselves and patients at risk. For some political reason the CDC has grown lax.. gone backwards on this.

Welcome to Trump world..

Do you still want to talk about one dottie nurse?

Hi DD

We are in this thread that was created about fake news what months ago.

About Canada no less.

This thread has become the find the handful of things that were wrong in the 24 hour news cycle of hundreds of sources that don't pucker up and smooch as well as Fox news.

I know all can't be as good as the TV dinner guy you love. Or was that someone else in love with the fox news Swanson guy?

The thing I was pointing out is just how silly it is for this thread to still be talking about a nurse from weeks ago while daily you ignore the complete lies from this administration.

Complete lies that kill Americans!

Please continue you quest for the truth in news here.

Be safe

American Airlines has 100 sick flight attendants.

Do you still want to talk about one dottie nurse?
    No, I want to talk about irresponsible reporting on the part of CBS and other media outlets.
    After all, this is a thread about Media Literacy and Fake News.

For instance, what do you say about a media outlet that only fact-checks one presidential candidate and not the others?
    I'd call it slanted. What would you call it?

1586885556303.png

Since Super Tuesday, Dale has written roughly 30 fact-check reports on President Trump. Meanwhile, Biden was only scrutinized once by the CNN reporter, and it came after the network's March 16 debate where both he and Sanders were fact-checked for their entire debate performances.

Dale wrote 38 pieces fact-checking Trump from Jan. 18 through April 10, and only one for Biden over the same time period. A different CNN reporter, Holmes Lybrand, also did one fact check on Biden’s comments about gun control on March 21.

The last time Dale himself fact-checked Biden individually was on Jan. 6 when the former lawmaker repeated his debunked claim that he opposed the Iraq War while in the Senate.

But fake news....

This also ignores something that is critical in this comparison. In almost every case where it is shown that a news agency reported incorrect information, they will come out and admit they did so and correct their error. Trump will not do that, he will simply act as if he never said what he is on video saying.

Also, in all fairness, the news agency never actually represented that the hospital was in NYC. Yes, that was the most obvious inference to be made, but they never said that it was a New York hospital.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom