Long term changes from the pandemic?? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GMRfellowtraveller

Reaction score
    do you anticipate any long term changes in this country?
    for the most part, i'm not sure we've responded to crisis moments very well - 9/11 did not have a lasting change (we're still fighting a war against people who did not attack us); Katrina? i still can't tell if the response to Katrina is a net positive; there have been a number of infrastructural disasters, but i don't think we've committed to overhauling failing infrastructure; we certainly learned precious few lessons from the banking collapse...
    so i don't really foresee us learning any sort of lesson here

HOWEVER, i do think there is any opportunity for significant changes
    Healthcare is the obvious one - no need to dig too deep on that one'
    Universal Basic Income - i think the upcoming month will show the benefit of UBI - 10,000s of families needing to scramble/adapt with out of school kids and the big hurt that's coming for the gig economy (and the fact that the bipartisan virus bill only covers about 20% of workers for sick leave) and the other 'law of unintended consequences' we're about to discover would be eased tremendously by a UBI
    IF we had a UBI, businesses could be a bit more flexible/redundant in their staffing practices - flexible 4 day work weeks would make it easier for families to adapt/respond to crises

i could forsee big accelerations to the work from home economy and LOTS more delivery services

thoughts?

this is a fine step, but i would argue that most of our recent health/food crises came from industrialized farming/livestock
    So, I will ask, how many pandemics has to come out of the Chinese wetmarkets before we politely ask our global neighbor to control it so it stops killing us? Is it the number of total pandemics or is there a certain death rate we have to reach?

I am also sure the Peoples Republic of China thanks you for your argument.

Last edited:
    I just want to go back to the days when The Walking Dead was more entertainment and less of a "how to" video.

Seriously, maybe we could spend more preparing for events that are certain to occur. No reason to be scrambling for medical supplies that will obviously be needed when our Chinese friends decide to give us yet another virus that attacks the respiratory system.

So, I will ask, how many pandemics has to come out of the Chinese wetmarkets before we politely ask our global neighbor to control it so it stops killing us? Is it the number of total pandemics or is there a certain death rate we have to reach?

I am also sure the Peoples Republic of China thanks you for your argument.
    The point I was making is that ‘we’ increase vigilance up and down the food production cycle
    No one is trying to
    Apologize for the wet market
    BUT the type of intervention that you’re talking about is exactly opposite of how Rs have wanted to interact on the global stage
    If we want a say in the ways parts of the world handles food, disease, et al, the we have to reverse and revamp our diplomacy efforts like 20 fold
    No more being isolationist ***** and treating the world like a middle school cafeteria

Last edited:
    You might not be apologizing for wet markets and China is right there with you so you are not alone. They are not apologizing for a pandemic that they caused again. Nope, they are pumping out propaganda and our media and some of our wonderful and faithful politicians are taking their marching orders and making Xi proud.

Curious to see if there is any effect on produce/farming
    We already had reports of produce rotting on trees/vines bc no one is there to pick them
    The virus and travel restrictions will certainly not help that

Otoh
    Those places that we plagued by overfishing could have an interesting bounce back and we might be able to put in some smart fishing practices into play with people who had been resistant to them
    - yes Farb, even in China

There is a thread for immigration and china virus if you want to take the immigration/America bad posts there.

That is true, the amount of pollution will be down for a few days at the least and that is always a good thing. I am sure you saw that the canals in Venice are so clear people can see the fish. At least the Italians that are not dead or in over crowded hospitals.
    It does seem like this would be a good time to implement some type of reforms for the environment but I have lost a lot of faith in the ones that we elected to do that so I am sure nothing will happen positive out of this that does not come from the people themselves.

That is true, the amount of pollution will be down for a few days at the least and that is always a good thing. I am sure you saw that the canals in Venice are so clear people can see the fish. At least the Italians that are not dead or in over crowded hospitals.
    It does seem like this would be a good time to implement some type of reforms for the environment but I have lost a lot of faith in the ones that we elected to do that so I am sure nothing will happen positive out of this that does not come from the people themselves.

Except that it has been determined that the water has cleared because there is no or little boat traffic (which kicks the sediment up) causing cloudy/muddy water conditions....The sediment has settled but the water isn't any cleaner really...

Except that it has been determined that the water has cleared because there is no or little boat traffic (which kicks the sediment up) causing cloudy/muddy water conditions....The sediment has settled but the water isn't any cleaner really...
    Yeah the swans came back because of boat traffic is gone not because it is really clean.

But the effects on the environment are real because I saw some images from space that were shocking a week ago.

Not a long term thing, but I realized today that the stress from all of this will work hard on those in recovery- hopefully everyone who is vulnerable is able to maintain their social/physical health

Was talking about housing with the wife the other day - wondering if there will be sustained changes to the way we live
    Will the work from home genie go back in the lamp?
    Will this prompt people to reverse the urban migration and live further apart and further from urban centers?

You might not be apologizing for wet markets and China is right there with you so you are not alone. They are not apologizing for a pandemic that they caused again. Nope, they are pumping out propaganda and our media and some of our wonderful and faithful politicians are taking their marching orders and making Xi proud.

What will you say when the prion causing the wasting disease in North American deer makes the jump to humans? That the US and Canada are responsible for a potentially fatal disease similar to “mad cow” being unleashed on the world by allowing people to hunt and consume wild deer meat?

Just because people are able to see fault in both the Chinese government’s and the US government‘s response to this virus doesn’t mean they are “carrying water” or “bending a knee” to China or whatever other stupid phrase you (the general you) can come up with.

Your holier than thou attitude is pretty frustrating, though. And it’s a pretty weird flex to be honest. Just about any country could have been the vector for a virus like this one.

Last edited:
    Infetious diseases have been far down the list of our concerns in the US for some time. But given coronavirus I have been reading about infectious diseases and am a little shocked how prevalent they are still are in parts of the world. For example - the fact that tuberculosis still kills so many is sad, given that we have the means to basically wipe it out.
    Its asking too much - but it would be nice if we, along with the rest of the developed world, made it a priority to wipe out curable infectious diseases around the world.

What will you say when the prion causing the wasting disease in North American deer makes the jump to humans? That the US and Canada are responsible for a potentially fatal disease similar to “mad cow” being unleashed on the world by allowing people to hunt and consume wild deer meat?

Just because people are able to see fault in both the Chinese government’s and the US government‘s response to this virus doesn’t mean they are “carrying water” or “bending a knee” to China or whatever other stupid phrase you (the general you) can come up with.

Your holier than thou attitude is pretty frustrating, though. And it’s a pretty weird flex to be honest. Just about any country could have been the vector for a virus like this one.

What's weird is how your attitude on Russia compares to your attitude on China.

BTW, when the experts said to quit feeding corn to deer because common feeding areas increases the risk of transmittal of the disease among deer, guess what I did? I quit putting out corn for them.

We are in the middle of an actual pandemic that China tried to hid from the world, so if you don't mind, I will only be talking facts and the present global crisis and not 'what about isms'. If you want, we can also discuss the other virus that have spread from China in the last decade?

It is a shame to see Communist China beliefs taking hold in this country. Almost as bad as the Russian beliefs taking hold in the US, right? Or is that the wrong team for you?

While possible that any country could be responsible for a global pandemic , they weren't. China is.

So again, how what is the number of pandemics that need to come from that country before we say something? What is the total number of deaths that has to be reached before we ask China to do better, regardless of their fragile feelings?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom