Let the Battle for Georgia Begin (Again) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    Frankly, this might improve Warnock's chances of re-election, but that's JMHO.

As someone who is on medication for depression, I don't think that anyone who is at a point in their life that they are needing current treatment for psychiatric disorders is at a point that they should be representing large swaths of constituents back home. Just like I would be fine with a 25 year recovered alcoholic or addict being elected to public office, but not that same person while they are actively drinking and/or getting high.

If someone uses medication to successfully treat depression/anxiety - the goal is to get off of the pills eventually. That's when I'd vote for someone who ever required being treated for mental health issues.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

So if someone was on Adderall for ADHD, then no vote? Anti Depressants? Xanax for anxiety?

I wouldn't vote for anyone who I was aware was actively using any of those medications.

I also will not vote for any person who has infidelity in their recent past, or any other type of character flaw (anything i decide is a character flaw).

People who hold elected office should be better than us. If they aren't we are picking the wrong people.

He's still probably got a higher IQ than MTG and Lauren Bobert combined.
    I hate to say it probably not. Walker scored a 9 on the wonderlic test. That is ungodly low. The normal human walking the street gets about a twenty on it. Both of them are really not that stupid that would put them both lower than any player in the history the NFL. The lowest in NFL history that actually played a down was a 6. So if both were Vince Young slow they would have him beat pretty well.

I wouldn't vote for anyone who I was aware was actively using any of those medications.

I also will not vote for any person who has infidelity in their recent past, or any other type of character flaw (anything i decide is a character flaw).

People who hold elected office should be better than us. If they aren't we are picking the wrong people.
    So I'm going on a limb here and say you haven't ever voted in a federal election?

So I'm going on a limb here and say you haven't ever voted in a federal election?
    I think he's saying that if the need to be medicated is a big enough of a problem in their life that he, as a voter, were to know about it considering how much privacy there is concerning medical records, that he wouldn't vote for that particular candidate. Not that he's never voted for someone who was on some kind of medication.

I think he's saying that if the need to be medicated is a big enough of a problem in their life that he, as a voter, were to know about it considering how much privacy there is concerning medical records, that he wouldn't vote for that particular candidate. Not that he's never voted for someone who was on some kind of medication.
    Or character flaw or infidelity as he said above.

His own words were "People with mental illness shouldn't hold elected office."

As someone who is on medication for depression, I don't think that anyone who is at a point in their life that they are needing current treatment for psychiatric disorders is at a point that they should be representing large swaths of constituents back home. Just like I would be fine with a 25 year recovered alcoholic or addict being elected to public office, but not that same person while they are actively drinking and/or getting high.

If someone uses medication to successfully treat depression/anxiety - the goal is to get off of the pills eventually. That's when I'd vote for someone who ever required being treated for mental health issues.
    Yea, I'd hate to add to the stigma that is taking control of your mental health. Maybe there are conditions I'd feel this way about, but I don't have the research/data in front of me to make a proclamation.

To help clear this up, who did you vote for in the last presidental/senate/congress elections. I am curious to see if any of the ones you voted for have any major character flaws, take any medicine for any mental illness, or has any history of infidelity.

To help clear this up, who did you vote for in the last presidental/senate/congress elections. I am curious to see if any of the ones you voted for have any major character flaws, take any medicine for any mental illness, or has any history of infidelity.
    What needs clearing up?

Do you think I'm am trying to disparage anyone?

your requirements are high on who you think should be in office (other than if they can do the job), just curious if you vote by your own standards.
    The last Presidential election i voted in was 2012 when I voted for Obama.

I voted for McCain in 2008.

GW Bush the twice before that.

Of those, I'd say that Obama and McCain would have met those standards, and with the qualifier of "recent" even GW would have met them. Of course, Obama could have been popping xanax ever hour, and we just didn't know about it.

But i only decided those were my standards in the past 6 months, so it doesn't really matter, nor would it matter if I was a hypocrite and voted tomorrow for someone who didn't meet that standard.

The merits of my point have nothing to do with my personal behavior.

We have got to raise the expectations of elected officials.

I agree the expectations of elected officials needs to be way higher.
    But I think you are pushing it by saying because someone takes/took Adderall or Xanax or Prozac is a reason to completely reject someone from office.

But I think you are pushing it by saying because someone takes/took Adderall or Xanax or Prozac is a reason to completely reject someone from office.
    Trump rage-binging on Adderall for four years in the Oval was loads of fun!

yea, i think we should all have to draw our own lines. I wasn't suggesting a formalized requirement.

For all the exposure mental health has gotten the past few years, how it's become more acceptable, more mainstream, less stigmatized an national office candidate who openly admits to struggling with mental health, with depression or anxiety, who freely admits to seeing a therapist regularly will not win

I may be wrong about that, but I really don't think I am

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom