Juneteenth (June 19) to become federal holiday - starting tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

I’ll admit being surprised by the margins that it passed by

I’ll also admit that my cynical side wonders if this just allows the GOP to say “see, how can we be against black people if we voted for this holiday?”

@DaveXA you're off tomorrow dogg!

Yeah, just got an email from my supervisor saying we're off tomorrow. So that's nice. I'm pretty happy because I can work on getting some paperwork done for our home purchase tomorrow. We made the offer last weekend, so still a long way to go, but hopefully everything pans out.

From the post
    ============
    ……Calls to make Juneteenth a federal holiday grew during last year’s protests focused on racial injustice. Somewhat suddenly, those calls were heeded this week, with 50 Republican senators joining the vast majority of the Republican House caucus in approving the measure. (Fourteen Republicans objected, including two from Texas itself.)

There’s something incongruous about that support, certainly. In recent months, there’s been a broad backlash on the political right against how and when racism is discussed in schools.

That backlash has often centered on the concept of “critical race theory,” a specific academic discipline the title of which has been appropriated to apply to a broad range of race-related curriculums and discussions.

Fox News and other conservative media outlets have joined Republican elected officials in offering sweeping condemnations of lesson plans centered on race — and yet here are Republicans in Congress rubber-stamping Juneteenth as a federal holiday.

And yet there’s nothing particularly incongruous here at all.

Consider this exchange between the New York Times’s Astead Herndon and conservative commentator Ben Shapiro.

That, in a nutshell, is the point. The difference between embracing Juneteenth and embracing education on the persistence of racism in American society and institutions is the difference between an evil that has been addressed and an injustice that is ongoing.

Declaring support for Juneteenth (as Shapiro has in the past) is a way of pronouncing opposition to a very specific and very obvious form of racism — and can provide a way to say you’re doing something for those who are concerned about the more insidious forms racism takes………..

From the post
    ============
    ……Calls to make Juneteenth a federal holiday grew during last year’s protests focused on racial injustice. Somewhat suddenly, those calls were heeded this week, with 50 Republican senators joining the vast majority of the Republican House caucus in approving the measure. (Fourteen Republicans objected, including two from Texas itself.)

There’s something incongruous about that support, certainly. In recent months, there’s been a broad backlash on the political right against how and when racism is discussed in schools.

That backlash has often centered on the concept of “critical race theory,” a specific academic discipline the title of which has been appropriated to apply to a broad range of race-related curriculums and discussions.

Fox News and other conservative media outlets have joined Republican elected officials in offering sweeping condemnations of lesson plans centered on race — and yet here are Republicans in Congress rubber-stamping Juneteenth as a federal holiday.

And yet there’s nothing particularly incongruous here at all.

Consider this exchange between the New York Times’s Astead Herndon and conservative commentator Ben Shapiro.

That, in a nutshell, is the point. The difference between embracing Juneteenth and embracing education on the persistence of racism in American society and institutions is the difference between an evil that has been addressed and an injustice that is ongoing.

Declaring support for Juneteenth (as Shapiro has in the past) is a way of pronouncing opposition to a very specific and very obvious form of racism — and can provide a way to say you’re doing something for those who are concerned about the more insidious forms racism takes………..

Makes sense.

was a problem vs. is a problem

Yeah, just got an email from my supervisor saying we're off tomorrow. So that's nice. I'm pretty happy because I can work on getting some paperwork done for our home purchase tomorrow. We made the offer last weekend, so still a long way to go, but hopefully everything pans out.

Best of luck man. If you don't mind me asking what area is it in? Cheers

Best of luck man. If you don't mind me asking what area is it in? Cheers
    South side of the Vienna metro. Just a few blocks away from there. I'm currently on the Vienna side. Always liked Vienna, but I found a better spot (Fairfax address) less than a mile away. And I'll be happy to be out of the rental racket when this process is done.

South side of the Vienna metro. Just a few blocks away from there. I'm currently on the Vienna side. Always liked Vienna, but I found a better spot (Fairfax address) less than a mile away. And I'll be happy to be out of the rental racket when this process is done.

Man I hope it goes through!

the politicians who are complaining about it costing money are just ignorant
    if it really bothers them that much, then cancel Columbus day. that one has zero business being a holiday..

Anyone know how fox, and right wing media and social media in general has responded to the Juneteenth holiday

I saw the Candace Owens clip and that was it

Anyone know how fox, and right wing media and social media in general has responded to the Juneteenth holiday

I saw the Candace Owens clip and that was it

Fox was actually pretty chill about it. They were like, it's another holiday. Might as well enjoy it. At least from their anchors and usually talking heads. There was a guest going on about it being not necessary, but the holiday was mostly well-received.

Not too surprising considering the amount of support it had from both sides in Congress.

Tucker made a fool of himself about it, if what I read is correct. The whole “this will ruin the July 4 holiday” angle. Such a whiny bastage.

Charlie Kirk (I think that’s his name) also tweeted out something along those lines.

They’re so predictable and transparent. It should embarrass grown men to behave this way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom