Juneteenth (June 19) to become federal holiday - starting tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Get ready, this is coming

I expect it to be solemnly respectful the first couple years then it’ll be

“Juneteenth celebrates the freedom of the last slaves. You can celebrate freedom from back pain with a new sleep number bed”
    =============================
    It is only a matter of time before a flood of Juneteenth trinkets, tchotchkes, doodads and gewgaws shows up on store shelves.

But let’s remember this: The enslaved people at the core of this new holiday were merchandise themselves before slavery finally came to an end.

As Juneteenth becomes a holiday that offers another excuse for parties, parades and prodigious capitalism, I am betting that a lot of Americans will fail to see that irony.

We all know what happens to holidays in America — the thing that we are actually supposed to commemorate somehow gets shoved aside in a whirlwind of sales, travel incentives and themed merch.

Memorial Day, for instance, is more about the unofficial start of summer than honoring those lost to war.

Labor Day closes out the season with nary a nod toward the labor movement or the workers who died in the Pullman Strike that led to that holiday’s creation in the first place.

Presidents’ Day is supposed to be a time for honoring past leaders but happens to fall at an opportune moment for automakers to roll out their discounts.

With its timing on the calendar, its pithy moniker and its roots in Black culture, Juneteenth is sure to be a marker for celebrations and a whole lot of barbecue. I’m down for that.

And enslaved people getting their freedom is cause for celebration, family-strong gatherings and line-dancing the wobble late into the night.

Let Miss Juneteenth wear her crown proudly. Bring on the Juneteenth-themed backyard banners, the strawberry soda and freedom-themed playing cards………

Celebrate Juneteenth with Amazon Prime Days!!!

Thats not what Morgan Freeman said.

It's exactly what he said.

Mike Wallace: How are we going to get rid of racism?

Morgan Freeman: Stop talking about it. I'm gonna stop calling you a white man and I'm gonna ask you to stop calling me a black man.

Constantly bringing up race won't fix anything. The people who want race to be brought into everything are trying to create more division. They want to cause harm and trouble.

This claim is utter nonsense. Please provide the evidence (proof) of this "negative psychological effect" that studying or examining slavery has this effect. And Junteenth is not about focusing on the degradation and inhumanity of chattel slavery, but freedom from bondage, which is uplifting, optimistic and a great story to tell.

The only "negative psychological effect" here is on fragile white egos (most likely like yours). HOW DARE TEH BLACKS CELEBRATE THEIR FREEDOM!!!!!!

Utter garbage.

It's like the Jane Elliot experiment. Hey black kids, white people made black people their slaves and the reason you're not slaves now is because white people decided to let you free.

It gives them a loser mentality.

It's like the Jane Elliot experiment. Hey black kids, white people made black people their slaves and the reason you're not slaves now is because white people decided to let you free.

Nope. If you actually read and understood history, you'll find out that historians have found that blacks took it upon themselves during the Civil War to runaway from their owners and plantations, so the story regarding emancipation is a bit more complex than just the EP and the 13th Amendment. Junteenth is an uplifting, optimistic, and positive story. The story of slavery (like everything else) is nuanced and most people who just refuse to acknowledge this history are ignorant and driven by other agendas.

And what you've presented here is not the "proof" I was seeking. I am seeking a genuine, peer-reviewed psychological study regarding your allegation. Ignoring race won't make problems regarding race relations go away.

You're making the same silly arguments that the Massive Resistance made 50 years ago during the Civil Rights Movement, although it's been repackaged and re-framed to basically advocating ignoring contemporary problems regarding enduring systemic racism.

Black people have their own agency to decide what they want to discuss. You do not need to decide for them.

Discussing the slavery and racism remind of us the evil that they are and educate us so that we don't go down the same road again. Just like discussing and remembering the Holocaust remind of the evil of Fascism and Nazism and how radicalization can destroy a society and country from within. These are clearly lessons that we need today.

Celebrating Juneteenth reminds us of the triumph of the human spirit over evil and oppression.

Nope. If you actually read and understood history, you'll find out that historians have found that blacks took it upon themselves during the Civil War to runaway from their owners and plantations

If the whites in the north supported slavery, would the slaves have been freed? Nope.

If the whites in the north supported slavery, would the slaves have been freed? Nope.

Irrelevant. I was just responding to your nonsensical, false claim that slaves themselves had nothing to do with their emancipation. And most northern voters during the CW came around to supporting freeing the slaves. I recommend reading some history to dispel some of this ignorance,

The whites in the north continued with slavery after the civil war and the Emancipation proclamation in Kentucky and Deleware until after the 13th Amendment was passed. So apparently so.

It's exactly what he said.

Mike Wallace: How are we going to get rid of racism?

Morgan Freeman: Stop talking about it. I'm gonna stop calling you a white man and I'm gonna ask you to stop calling me a black man.

Constantly bringing up race won't fix anything. The people who want race to be brought into everything are trying to create more division. They want to cause harm and trouble.

You're taking a snippet of a long interview out of context because that's the only tool in your box. His point is lost on you because you didn't watch the interview, just the snippet you got off a meme on social media, which is exactly why we are in the waning days of America.

You're taking a snippet of a long interview out of context because that's the only tool in your box. His point is lost on you because you didn't watch the interview, just the snippet you got off a meme on social media, which is exactly why we are in the waning days of America.

Wrong. Nothing's out of context. That was a direct answer to a question. You just don't like his correct answer.

The reason we're in the waning days is because some people like to insert race into things in which race isn't a factor.

If that’s true, post a link to the entire interview, let us judge for ourselves. Surely you’ve got that, since in order to be so sure there’s no other context you would have listened to it in its entirety. Right?

Do you think the racists can stop calling the black man a black man (or the worse versions)?
    he's right about black history month. there shouldn't be one. but until the people who write the text books put the truths about what happened and right a bunch of lies and omissions, we will have a black history month.
    MF isn't saying black history month is bad because of any reason than black history should be American History, but that hasn't happened yet.

I also like this snippet from the same interview.
    About how the confederate flag is represented.
    Screenshot_20210627-002244-383.png

Wrong. Nothing's out of context. That was a direct answer to a question. You just don't like his correct answer.

The reason we're in the waning days is because some people like to insert race into things in which race isn't a factor.
    I went back and watched the clip and imo you're extrapolating his answer to mean something larger than the point he was attempting to make.

Until he responds, I am going to assume he has never listened to the entire interview.

Until he responds, I am going to assume he has never listened to the entire interview.

Good assumption, because he clearly has missed the entire point Morgan Freeman was making by a country mile. He's also your typical ostrich that believes problems don't exist if you don't talk about them. They are like children that cover their eyes when they're scared.

I mean, if just not talking about it works let's never talk about rape, gun violence, budget deficits, war, hurricanes, etc. Utopia is within reach folks, we just have to get our heads far enough into the sand.

Good assumption, because he clearly has missed the entire point Morgan Freeman was making by a country mile. He's also your typical ostrich that believes problems don't exist if you don't talk about them. They are like children that cover their eyes when they're scared.

I mean, if just not talking about it works let's never talk about rape, gun violence, budget deficits, war, hurricanes, etc. Utopia is within reach folks, we just have to get our heads far enough into the sand.

His point is to stop focussing so much on race.

You claimed I used his quote out of context. Show us that missing context that proves me wrong.

(You won't be able to because I'm right.)

His point is to stop focussing so much on race.

You claimed I used his quote out of context. Show us that missing context that proves me wrong.

(You won't be able to because I'm right.)

No, I won't waste my time with you because you aren't willing or capable of comprehending his point. Keep patting yourself on the back though. It's a good look for those with limited understanding. (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom