Is Secession a Realistic Option? (1 Viewer)

< Previous | Next >

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***** at Yoko
Reaction score
I’m looking for serious responses, hopefully.. I think there is a good chance that Trump loses the election- but, as posters have pointed out in other threads- as i type this , we have an American president who is actively trying to suppress voters and rig the election, AND has stated on multiple occasions that if he loses, then by definition that means that the election was fixed... SO, with all that in mind- in the event of a Trump ‘victory’- what is to stop , say, California , Oregon and Washington pulling away from the US (CA has the world’s sixth-largest economy, As we all know).. Same with the New England states .. One initial problem i see is that, all 50 states have both Trump voters, as well as Non-Trump voters within their borders.. So unfortunately, anyone who ISNT willing to live under a strong armed dictator will have to move to the East or West Coast (if they want to, of course).. I have talked to conservatives in the past who have told me that they ‘wish California would just fall into the ocean’ (not even paraphrasing)- so presumably the New Trump America wouldnt mind seeing us all go.. Why would they even bother to start a Civil War, since they have such animosity towards the coasts (and non-Trump voters) anyway... It sucks, but it’s where we are.. Is this realistic, why or why not?

LA - L.A.

Reaction score
I don't know about the probability of it actually happening, but it would be disadvantageous for everyone.

The Soviet Union gamed out a plan to cause the US to splinter into four separate countries which would each uttilmately fall under the influence of different foreign, geopolitical regions. The succession conversations currently going on eerily fit into the Soviet's plan.

OP
Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***** at Yoko
Reaction score

UncleTrvlingJim

Reaction score
There's a simpler and far less traumatic than secession. Maybe allow for more federalism. I think that's probably where we're heading - let the states keep more of their money - less federal taxation and redistribution to other states, and let states form interstate partnerships and policies.

If the west coast states want to form some sort of affordable care act type insurance, they can do so.

Obviously the big hurdle will be the taxation/redistribution angle. The military would still be a federal government responsibility, and with its size, the money from rich states will still get pulled to poorer states via military bases and such, and I don't see any way that a vote to do away with that will ever pass.

But I think the general idea of redistributing power away from the government back to the states might solve a lot of these tensions. It's not nearly as efficient, and a lot of people will be stuck in states they can't leave due to economic reasons, but a good part of me would like to see it from a social experiment perspective.

LA - L.A.

Reaction score
So he was off by about 10 years?

I thought you were the one who quoted the article that spells it out in detail. Thanks for reposting.

I have to admit, all the sucession talk of late coupled with Putin's extension of KGB plans and tactics, makes me a bit anxious about our future as a nation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

< Previous | Next >

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom