/* */

Is Russia about to invade Ukraine? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Russia continues to mass assets within range of Ukraine - though the official explanations are that they are for various exercises. United States intelligence has noted that Russian operatives in Ukraine could launch 'false flag' operations as a predicate to invasion. The West has pressed for negotiations and on Friday in Geneva, the US Sec. State Blinken will meet with the Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov.

Certainly the Russian movements evidence some plan - but what is it? Some analysts believe that Putin's grand scheme involves securing Western commitments that NATO would never expand beyond its current composition. Whether that means action in Ukraine or merely the movement of pieces on the chess board remains to be seen.

VIENNA — No one expected much progress from this past week’s diplomatic marathon to defuse the security crisis Russia has ignited in Eastern Europe by surrounding Ukraine on three sides with 100,000 troops and then, by the White House’s accounting, sending in saboteurs to create a pretext for invasion.

But as the Biden administration and NATO conduct tabletop simulations about how the next few months could unfold, they are increasingly wary of another set of options for President Vladimir V. Putin, steps that are more far-reaching than simply rolling his troops and armor over Ukraine’s border.

Mr. Putin wants to extend Russia’s sphere of influence to Eastern Europe and secure written commitments that NATO will never again enlarge. If he is frustrated in reaching that goal, some of his aides suggested on the sidelines of the negotiations last week, then he would pursue Russia’s security interests with results that would be felt acutely in Europe and the United States.

There were hints, never quite spelled out, that nuclear weapons could be shifted to places — perhaps not far from the United States coastline — that would reduce warning times after a launch to as little as five minutes, potentially igniting a confrontation with echoes of the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.

the post, literally, right above his, was photos of Russian bombing the Church in Odessa.

Linking to several other sites where civilians were bombed on that same night.

NOT A PEEP from him.

Instead, he wants EVERYONE to know the depth of corruption in Ukraine when several wannabe thieves stole what amounts to 85 vests and some ammo and guns.

And you THINK he is a Russian bot?
    He's a Trunper, and Trumpers love them some Putin. That's all I got.

I will continue to be against war while you support the Military Industrial Complex. Do you ever feel bad supporting so much death, violence, pain, and suffering that war causes? Or is it all worth it for freedom?

What is the alternative, in your opinion?

That's long been a goal of his. If you don't know that, you obviously haven't been paying attention.
    According to Putin the fall of the Soviet Union is the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century. His actions since coming to power reflect that belief. He has worked to install pro-Russian leaders in former Soviet states (Belarus) and when he couldn't, he took them by force (Georgia).

According to Putin the fall of the Soviet Union is the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century. His actions since coming to power reflect that belief. He has worked to install pro-Russian leaders in former Soviet states (Belarus) and when he couldn't, he took them by force (Georgia).
    And those denying it don't have much of a sense of history. Same reaction people had who wanted to play pacifist with Hitler. Maybe there's a reason for that. :scratch:

This touches on just how 1991 shaped Putin. There is an older one that dove into nothing but how Putin arrived where he is and if i find it ill post.
    This one talks about in the beginning then goes into Prigozhin

This one.

Smart, common sense folk see RIGHT THRU YOU.
    Yes, we all see right through @SaintForLife and the creators of the propaganda he helps to spread. We also represent the majority of Americans, while he represents a miniority.

What the minority hasn't learned, and what I hope they never do learn, is that they've pushed their propaganda efforts too far and are now in diminishing returns category. They are losing more support than they are gaining.

They have created a lot more people motivated to vote against what they want, than they have gained support. Their relentless propaganda efforts also keep us highly motivated to go out and vote against who and what they want. I hope they never figure that out either.

Last edited:
    That sounds an awful lot like how the US operates. Why is bad when Russia does it, but not when we do it? How do you compare the US invasion of Iraq vs Russia invading Ukraine.

If that's what you guys have to tell yourself so you feel better about supporting all the death and destruction then you have some serious issues.
    Has the US and NATO been supplying weapons to Russia that I don't know about? I ask, because Russia is the one inflicting the overwhelming majority of death and destruction.

Would you sleep better at night if the US and NATO stopped supporting Ukraine, so that only Russia would be able to inflict death and destruction. Is that your idea of "peace?"

Are you going with the Chamberlain strategy to acheiving peace? I ask, because you sound just like he did and his strategy ended very badly for the whole world, especially for millions of people in the occupied countries, you know like the Ukrainians have been by Russia.

If that's what you guys have to tell yourself so you feel better about supporting all the death and destruction then you have some serious issues.
    No one that I'm aware of supports Russia's launching and waging of the war and I think you would acknowledge Ukraine is justified in defending itself.

And so I can pretty confidently say I do not support death and destruction as principles; I do support Ukraine in their efforts to regain lost territory and to defend itself against the continued attacks launched on their homeland by Russia. Unfortunately death and destruction is a natural result of this war but.. that's what war is.

Why not just say you don't think we should be involved over there instead of this "moral" framing of it you're doing where you're tying together support for Ukraine with a basic support for death and destruction? If Ukraine wasn't justified in their role in this then you'd have a point.. I would certainly say a supporter of Russia's role in this would seem like someone who's OK with the principles of death and destruction.

But rooting for and supporting US/Western aid to the country who was unjustly attacked (and had territory taken) is equal to one being supportive of death and destruction in a general sense? Come on, that's wholly absurd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom