Increasing racist attacks on Asians (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

Article on the aftermath of these attacks

terrible, especially for the children
    =======================
    Nearly a year after they were almost stabbed to death inside a Midland, Texas, Sam’s Club, Bawi Cung and his two sons all have visible scars.

It’s the unseen ones though that are harder to get over. Cung can’t walk through any store without constantly looking in all directions. His 6-year-old son, who now can’t move one eyebrow, is afraid to sleep alone.

On a Saturday evening in March, when COVID-19 panic shopping gripped the nation, Cung was in search of rice at a cheaper price. The family was in the Sam’s Club meat section when Cung suddenly felt a punch to the back of his head.

A man he didn’t know then slashed his face with a knife. The assailant left but soon returned to stab the boys. He wounded the 3-year-old in the back and slashed the 6-year-old from his right eye to a couple of inches past his right ear.

The grisly encounter brought home the dangerous climate Asian Americans have faced since the coronavirus entered the U.S., with racially motivated harassment and assaults occurring from coast to coast.

Now, just over a year and thousands of incidents later, some of the early victims find moving forward has been difficult or, at best, bittersweet. A recent wave of attacks on elderly Asian Americans — including the death of an 84-year-old San Francisco man — has fueled worries that hostilities have only worsened......

In April, a confrontation in a Richmond, California, park left an irrevocable impact not just on Kelly Yang, 36, but her children. She was forced to discuss anti-Asian racism with her son, 10, and daughter, 7 — a talk she didn’t think would happen for a few more years.

An elderly white couple, upset over her unleashed dog, called Yang, who is Chinese American, an “Oriental” and said the words many Asian Americans dread: “Go back where you came from.”

Her children thought the couple meant for them to go home. Torn, Yang eventually explained they meant “for us to go back to Asia.”

“It means that we’re not welcome here.”

Her son burst into tears............

As an Asian American, I can say that this is nothing new. It is not even an uptick of hate crimes against Asian American. It has always been there. The spotlight just shines into it more now. I have been called “Chin” and told countless time to go back to where you came while with my family. Twice got sucker punch. One was in highschool and another one when I was walking back to my car. I was ran off the road while riding my bike home from school. I am pretty sure I am not the only Asian American who have to face this and worried about it every time I leave my house.

As an Asian American, I can say that this is nothing new. It is not even an uptick of hate crimes against Asian American. It has always been there. The spotlight just shines into it more now. I have been called “Chin” and told countless time to go back to where you came while with my family. Twice got sucker punch. One was in highschool and another one when I was walking back to my car. I was ran off the road while riding my bike home from school. I am pretty sure I am not the only Asian American who have to face this and worried about it every time I leave my house.

Yep, you ain't the only one. Wife is Korean and she's been insulted and stalked before. That shirt ain't no joke. My brother in laws have dealt with stuff like that before too. It happens, although some areas are not as bad as others.

Where we live, it's pretty rare, fortunately. But when we lived in other southern states, it was often enough to make us want to leave.

what a difference a leader can make
    ==========================

Asian Americans took to social media to praise President Joe Biden's condemnation of racist attacks amid the COVID-19 pandemic on Thursday.

Biden called for an end to "vicious hate crimes against Asian Americans who've been attacked, harassed, blamed and scapegoated" over the past year during his prime-time address on Thursday night. The president said that Asian Americans had been targeted and forced to "fear for their lives just walking down streets in America," a phenomenon that he said was "un-American" and "must stop."

The plea prompted a torrent of mostly positive responses on Twitter. Some, including Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), compared his remarks favorably to comments from former President Donald Trump, who frequently used terms like "the China virus" or "Kung Flu" when referring to the coronavirus last year..............

A report released earlier this month by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at the University of California, San Bernardino found that although hate crimes in 16 of America's largest cities fell by 7 percent overall in 2020 amid the pandemic, hate crimes targeting Asian Americans skyrocketed by 149 percent during the same time...............

Asian Americans Hail Biden's Hate Crime Plea: 'Stark Contrast to Kung Flu' (newsweek.com)

The mutation first discovered in the UK is called Covid -19 variant 174
    Not by the UK media it wasn't, including the BBC. It was called (and, so far as I am aware, still IS called) the 'UK Variant'.

Have you ever called the Swine Flu the American virus? I’ve certainly never heard anyone refer to it that way. Calling it the China flu was a transparent attempt to deflect blame and stir anger towards China, and that led to blaming Asians.
    Swine Flu didn't originate in the USA ? It was first identified in Mexico ?

As for evidence of the impact on Asians, oh, let's see, there's https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52714804 and https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/covid-19-fueling-anti-asian-racism-and-xenophobia-worldwide and https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...incidents-covid-19-lunar-new-year/4447037001/ and a whole load of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...elated_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic#United_States and...

I await your response which I can't help but suspect will largely involve a semantic discussing of the definition of 'scapegoating' and will consequently completely miss the context and hence the point.
    The examples are disturbing, but the question is; are they new ? Are they related to Covid ? Asians have suffered prejudice and violence in the USA for over a century, including in modern times.

The examples are disturbing, but the question is; are they new ? Are they related to Covid ? Asians have suffered prejudice and violence in the USA for over a century, including in modern times.
    Your posts are increasingly falling into a pattern of weak denialism. For example, here, you've questioned, "Are they related to Covid?" and implied that the existence of previous prejudice somehow suggests that they might not be.

Except the articles quoted include examples like:

"He yelled: 'I'm not scared of radioactive Chinese people' and started pointing at me, shouting 'you people shouldn't be here, get out of this country, I'm not scared of this virus that you people brought over,'" the Chinese Canadian, who has lived in New York for over 15 years, said.

and:

"She yelled 'how dare you come to this store where my family shops, how dare you come and ruin my country. You are why my family is not able to make money,'" Ms Pfrimmer, who is half-Chinese, recalls.

and:

That's what happened to Ted Nghiem, a Vietnamese American in Philadelphia. He says in March, a man swore at him, yelling "get out of here, you caused coronavirus" - but it didn't particularly bother him. However, later that month a man spat at him as he walked past, which got him "really down for a day or two".

and I could go on, and on, and on.

All of which suggests you have zero interest in whether the examples are related to Covid - because if you were, you'd have read the articles and already seen that they clearly are - and are, instead, just making futile attempts to muddy clear waters. Why?

As for your question of "are they new", what do you think that says about your thinking? The implication is that you think it doesn't matter if Covid is fueling, and being deliberated used to fuel, existing anti-Asian prejudice, and that it would only matter if it was entirely new prejudice.

The fact is, this shouldn't be a hard topic. Racism is bad. Fueling existing racism, also bad. Deliberately using a misnomer for a pandemic virus that fuels existing racism and stirs up increased acts of hate and violence, yes, that's bad.

Acknowledging that, accepting it, and acting on it where possible is the clear, reasonable, position here.

Your posts are increasingly falling into a pattern of weak denialism. For example, here, you've questioned, "Are they related to Covid?" and implied that the existence of previous prejudice somehow suggests that they might not be.

Except the articles quoted include examples like:

"He yelled: 'I'm not scared of radioactive Chinese people' and started pointing at me, shouting 'you people shouldn't be here, get out of this country, I'm not scared of this virus that you people brought over,'" the Chinese Canadian, who has lived in New York for over 15 years, said.

and:

"She yelled 'how dare you come to this store where my family shops, how dare you come and ruin my country. You are why my family is not able to make money,'" Ms Pfrimmer, who is half-Chinese, recalls.

and:

That's what happened to Ted Nghiem, a Vietnamese American in Philadelphia. He says in March, a man swore at him, yelling "get out of here, you caused coronavirus" - but it didn't particularly bother him. However, later that month a man spat at him as he walked past, which got him "really down for a day or two".

and I could go on, and on, and on.

All of which suggests you have zero interest in whether the examples are related to Covid - because if you were, you'd have read the articles and already seen that they clearly are - and are, instead, just making futile attempts to muddy clear waters. Why?

As for your question of "are they new", what do you think that says about your thinking? The implication is that you think it doesn't matter if Covid is fueling, and being deliberated used to fuel, existing anti-Asian prejudice, and that it would only matter if it was entirely new prejudice.

The fact is, this shouldn't be a hard topic. Racism is bad. Fueling existing racism, also bad. Deliberately using a misnomer for a pandemic virus that fuels existing racism and stirs up increased acts of hate and violence, yes, that's bad.

Acknowledging that, accepting it, and acting on it where possible is the clear, reasonable, position here.
    Well, they are all disturbing examples, and very upsetting to the individuals concerned. However, it is not proof of 'new' racism ? If you carefully read most of the NGO reports, they mostly (though not exclusively) give numbers of hate incidents, without context of how this compares to - say - ten years ago. Hence we have reports like this which state a 150% increase in hate crimes (anything from shouting rude comments to outright assault) from 2019... but don't compare this to earlier trends. In addition, although the "150%" figure is eye-watering, this basically means an increase from - in the case of New York - 3 crimes to 29 crimes. In Los Angeles it was an increase from 7 crimes to 15.
    Again, upsetting though this may be to the individuals, it hardly seems indicitive of a mass outbreak of anti-Asian racism ? Consider that New York has a population of about 8 million, and Los Angeles a population of about 4 million ?

Consider - by comparison - anti-Jewish hate crimes in New York, which where at around 250 ? This is an increase of around 63% from 2018. (compared to 29 hate crimes against Asians).

I'm not saying that the attacks on Asians should be disregarded; any hate crimes need to be investigated and discouraged. However, the headlines about "increasing racist attacks against Asians" needs to be put into context, and the narrative that this is caused by COVID causing a backlash against Asians needs to be challenged. To summarise; attacks against Jews increased - against a much higher background level - but we don't call COVID "The Jerusalem virus" ?

Of that entire post, this is the only bit that was worth your saying.
    You SWINE, Sir. I spent AGES researching those facts. I had to dig them out of the ground with my bare hands. It will take WEEKS for my fingernails to recover. And you casually dismiss them like that ?

<bring bring... bring bring>.. hello ? Northwood ? I have a tasking for one of the Vanguard submarines. One D5 at 1.2 Megatons, target is Warrington. Yes.. Warrington .. near Manchester.

Well, they are all disturbing examples, and very upsetting to the individuals concerned. However, it is not proof of 'new' racism ? If you carefully read most of the NGO reports, they mostly (though not exclusively) give numbers of hate incidents, without context of how this compares to - say - ten years ago. Hence we have reports like this which state a 150% increase in hate crimes (anything from shouting rude comments to outright assault) from 2019... but don't compare this to earlier trends. In addition, although the "150%" figure is eye-watering, this basically means an increase from - in the case of New York - 3 crimes to 29 crimes. In Los Angeles it was an increase from 7 crimes to 15.
    Again, upsetting though this may be to the individuals, it hardly seems indicitive of a mass outbreak of anti-Asian racism ? Consider that New York has a population of about 8 million, and Los Angeles a population of about 4 million ?

Consider - by comparison - anti-Jewish hate crimes in New York, which where at around 250 ? This is an increase of around 63% from 2018. (compared to 29 hate crimes against Asians).

I'm not saying that the attacks on Asians should be disregarded; any hate crimes need to be investigated and discouraged. However, the headlines about "increasing racist attacks against Asians" needs to be put into context, and the narrative that this is caused by COVID causing a backlash against Asians needs to be challenged. To summarise; attacks against Jews increased - against a much higher background level - but we don't call COVID "The Jerusalem virus" ?
    How about this:

Asian restaurant owner’s restaurant defaced with graffiti that says “Kung flu,” and “China virus.” Even has a “you should go back where you came from,” even though they’re US citizens, for that moron here that thought that somehow wasn’t a racist statement.

This pretty well provides the context you’re looking for in black and white. It was an attack on Asian Americans specifically due to COVID.

So stop being disingenuous. You know it’s happening, we know it’s happening, and it’s in direct response to Donald Trump’s rhetorical legacy.

Um, President Biden said anti-Asian acts of violence were unAmerican. Sorry to disappoint him but they are very much American. Anti-anybody who isn’t white or who cannot successfully melt into the white category is subject to racism, discrimination, potential and often, real, violence.

The country has NEVER dealt with its racist foundation. MAGAts are one proof of that.

Um, President Biden said anti-Asian acts of violence were unAmerican. Sorry to disappoint him but they are very much American. Anti-anybody who isn’t white or who cannot successfully melt into the white category is subject to racism, discrimination, potential and often, real, violence.

The country has NEVER dealt with its racist foundation. MAGAts are one proof of that.
    For a long time it was anyone immigrating into the US. (Irish, Italians, Germans, Scottish)

Guess this belongs here.

I had been skeptical to the idea that there was actually a meaningful increase on attacks against Asian Americans until today.

I suppose we can’t be sure these Atlanta shootings are racially motivated, but it should at least shine a light on the widespread sex-trafficking of Asian women in the United States.

Guess this belongs here.

I had been skeptical to the idea that there was actually a meaningful increase on attacks against Asian Americans until today.

I suppose we can’t be sure these Atlanta shootings are racially motivated, but it should at least shine a light on the widespread sex-trafficking of Asian women in the United States.

saw that and just posted on EE

terrible story

For a long time it was anyone immigrating into the US. (Irish, Italians, Germans, Scottish)
    True. But those four eventually merged into the power structure and then used it against others.

How about this:

Asian restaurant owner’s restaurant defaced with graffiti that says “Kung flu,” and “China virus.” Even has a “you should go back where you came from,” even though they’re US citizens, for that moron here that thought that somehow wasn’t a racist statement.

This pretty well provides the context you’re looking for in black and white. It was an attack on Asian Americans specifically due to COVID.

So stop being disingenuous. You know it’s happening, we know it’s happening, and it’s in direct response to Donald Trump’s rhetorical legacy.
    No, it does NOT supply context. It is an individual example. It is NOT indicative of a general rise of Anti-Asian feeling due to COVID. Tell me, why have hate crimes against Jews bloomed in New York and Los Angeles over the last 12 months ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom