Impeachment Round Two (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yggdrasill

Reaction score
    I am in the camp that Trump must -not should- be impeached. If not this President, for this behavior, then what bar would have to be cleared to merit impeachment?

Impeachment not only sends a signal to the country and the world that fomenting a coup is unacceptable and will be punished, but it also removes much of the threat Trump could pose going forward as, I understand it, he would lose his pension, his access to daily security briefings, free medical care and other amenities and benefits afforded to former Presidents. If impeached, he would not meet the definition of a Former President under the Former Presidents Act. I don't think it is clear whether he would continue to receive Secret Service protection.

Trump knows his goose is cooked. He’s giving literally the best speech of his presidency...after his second impeachment and with 1 week left. Wow.

Edit: dammit I knew I spoke too soon. Here he goes off on “media censorship.”

Edit 2: But on the whole, the best speech of his presidency, without question.

Even the part about censorship wasn't terrible. He didn't make it about him, but about the fact that we need to talk and listen to each other.

It was by far the best speech he's ever given. The next time he opens his mouth without a script he'll stomp all over it, but it was very good.

The GOP House leader, Kevin McCarthy is spineless. McConnell just got reelected to a six-year term and will be 82 when it expires. He will likely retire or, even if he doesn't, will almost certainly win reelection regardless of what he does in the intervening six years. The differing mechanics of the two establishments lend into the calculus. House members are voted on by individual districts which are gerrymandered to death and only serve two year terms. A good chunk of those Republican seats are Republican no matter what, it's just a matter of whether you face a primary challenge by a Trumpublican. Senators can benefit from appealing to the whole state and can attract independent voters by standing up to Trump.

I can live with a censure if that prevents him from running again. I just want him to go away more than anything else.
    Censure has no legal consequences. It doesn't affect his ability to run for office and doesn't diminish his power legally. It just makes people feel like they've done something, but it is almost worthless except symbolically.

Last edited:
    I thought it was in need of an update

Attachments

• img.png
      img.png
      620.4 KB · Views: 133
    Censure has no legal consequences. It doesn't affect his ability to run for office and doesn't diminish his power legally. It just makes people feel like they've done something, but it is almost worthless except symbolically.

I thought censure was the political equivalent of someone wagging their finger at you while sternly saying you did a bad thing

Or when you were in school and the teacher threatened you with putting something on ‘your permanent record’

I thought I had read that censure would bar him from running again. If that's not the case, then impeachment has to happen.

Only conviction on the impeached offenses would bar him from running again and only if it is one of the stipulated punishments. Censure has no weight behind it and is effectively just a 'you're bad' admonition.

Here's something I've been thinking about since this all went down, with all this vitriolic social media output, is it out of the realm of possibility that members of trump campaign's social media team have been participating in extremist online forums?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom