Immigrants do Washington (DC) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

el caliente

Reaction score
    Apparently immigrants are a problem, at least that’s what the Mayor of DC is saying. Well technically the Mayor’s problem is the Governors of Texas and Arizona are bussing folks to DC.

I understand the complaint, but at the same time, I don’t blame the Governors for doing what they are doing. They have said that immigrants aren’t welcome, and DC has taken the opposite approach by saying that it will be a “Sanctuary City”.

Inundate DC with as many immigrants until it’s such a problem for politicians that the bend (but don’t break) MO is done away with, and one decision has to be made before the Nations Capital becomes a squatters village, and politicians are sharing an Uber with immigrants.

The problem with this premise is that ever since Trump came along with is firebrand immigration style, legislators from Texas and Arizona (both state and federal) have done everything they can to prevent any type of meaningful immigration measure from passing that isn't something draconian and wasteful. They've done everything to demonize immigrants, but haven't supported any and have torpedoed a few actual attempts at having a comprehensive and effective immigration reform. It's also not in their political self interest to actually find any solutions, because the would mean working with democrats and removing it as one of their culture wars.

So in that light, this is nothing but another cynical culture war by Republicans meant for their constitutions that hate immigrants. It has nothing to do with forcing attention towards an actual solution for immigration.
    That’s certainly, uh, a take.

Are you saying that Texas and Arizona should be happy to foot the bill of the federal government’s incompetence regarding immigration?

What are these states supposed to do? What should they do?

The problem with immigration didn’t just pop off with Trump and his supporters, the dilemma has been around for far longer than that. Hell, kids were in cages before Trump showed up

and kids are still being separated from their parents.

Trump turned a once quiet practice into a loud annoying sound (and the practice is still ongoing).

AZ and TX’s programs might have started as throwing shot at the wall, and seeing what sticks, but as the Mayorsnof DC and NYC are seeing, we do in fact have an immigration problem.

Last edited:

I find it interesting that Adams is accusing Abbot of trying to score political points when Adams has said that NYC will be a “Sanctuary” city.

Either say you are (and accept people being sent to you), or say you aren’t (and force the federal government to do more than they are doing). If you are the party of “kIdS iN cAgEs” then you better be ready to play defense with stuff like this).

It’s an interesting situation that I hope is cleared up in my lifetime.

Again, quit with the dumbness.

The definition of "sanctuary city" is not what you've pretending it to be and you've had it explained to you on this thread enough that you should stop it.

Again, quit with the dumbness.

The definition of "sanctuary city" is not what you've pretending it to be and you've had it explained to you on this thread enough that you should stop it.
    Good sir, we are in agreement as to what a “sanctuary” state or city is. Please proceed to get your panties out of that wad.

Stop being obtuse, we both know what a sanctuary state is (well, I think you do).
    I don't we both know :hihi:
    DeSantis has made it very clear that Florida isn’t a “Sanctuary” state. The city of Miami might say that it is a sanctuary city, but according to the Governor, Miami is going against state law. The city of Miami might bend over backwards for Cubans, but that doesn’t make the state of Florida a “sanctuary” state. One is a state (Florida) the other is a city (Miami).
    As simple as I can: It's not what the say their are, is what they do.

The Nicaraguan government swears they are a democracy because they have elections, yet when elections come around there is only one candidate, the same candidate, every time; call Ortega a dictator, and he'll tell you he's the democratically elected president. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Exactly, they are already going to be processed, so why not let DC and NYC take care of them after that? There is no problem with AZ and TX sending immigrants to those places, is there?
    Yes, there is a problem.
    So we both know what makes a state/city a “Sanctuary” state/city, so why is it difficult to understand how social services are being taxing the system?
    Again, did you read the link you posted?
    The non-Sanctuary system is using resources to find these immigrants. While immigrants are in detention centers the state is paying for their food/bedding/etc. (thanks Private prison system). If the individual gets sick the state is paying for their healthcare.
    Texas is on the border. They get federal funds to deal with immigration.
    Texas and Arizona don’t want to foot these bills (who does), so why should they. Send them to States who are more accepting of immigrants. Everyone wins.
    You think you found some wording/rationalization to what TX and Az are doing, but that's not the case. And the funny thing is (and here is where the stupidity comes in), that what AZ and TX are doing, instead of bagging 'em. tagging 'em, and send them back across the border, they facilitate illegal immigrants to stay in the U.S. and come back to TX and AZ, but unimpeded from inside. Then again, Ducey and Abbott are only about grandstanding and feeding the base.
    That’s what I am asking, how is Mexico’s immigration policy compared to what we have here in the US?
    Why does MX's immigration policy matter?

Also, what parts of Amnesty are you against?

Amnesty itself doesn't come in parts, but to give you an idea, as far as MX, right now, I would like to see the government shut down the "walk ins" on the Southern border and refuse anyone who wants to walk through MX to get to the U.S. border, as well as the removal of the various camps along the Northern border. As for the U.S., I don't have much issue with the current policies; beggars can't be choosers.

That’s certainly, uh, a take.

Are you saying that Texas and Arizona should be happy to foot the bill of the federal government’s incompetence regarding immigration?

What are these states supposed to do? What should they do?

The problem with immigration didn’t just pop off with Trump and his supporters, the dilemma has been around for far longer than that. Hell, kids were in cages before Trump showed up

and kids are still being separated from their parents.

Trump turned a once quiet practice into a loud annoying sound (and the practice is still ongoing).

AZ and TX’s programs might have started as throwing shot at the wall, and seeing what sticks, but as the Mayorsnof DC and NYC are seeing, we do in fact have an immigration problem.

I'm saying this is just another stunt Abbot and Ducey to rile up the Republican base. Most likely to up their cred to run for president. I'm saying Republicans in Tx and AZ have done everything possible to prevent meaningful immigration reform. I'm saying this need not be looked at or considered as anything more than just another rung on the culture war.

Nothing meaningful will come out of this because there is no intent to achieve anything meaningful out if it.

We actually need more labor in this country. There are tons of jobs going unfilled. Especially in the service industries. What do you think we should do about that?
    I Agree. the need for lower wage labor which keeps us all repaired sold fixed
    and continuing is dire however....where do they "live"....sleep eat wash cook.
    half this countrys humans cant afford to live, pay hedge fund ever increasing
    rents let alone costs of Any thing else.
    where do they squat? eat? sleep?

recently some rw'r said to me something about...'send them all home'.
    where i said?....they have no food no water no FIREWOOD theyve got nothing
    thats why they left there and spent months to Years trying to get elsewhere, or here.
    it wasnt an over nite fantasy road trip.
    so what do we do at the border?...do we kill them?
    ...no srsly....what do we do with them?

the rwr had not a clue what to say or do.

who answers that question?.....Stone?....bannon?....jared?....
    no one has the answer yet they all want us all to bicker over it.

meanwhile....more humans are on the desperate run for survival.
    i dont have the answers, not a clue what billions of humans are sppsd to do in
    the waning years of capi-tol-izm.

Last edited:
    I Agree. the need for lower wage labor which keeps us all repaired sold fixed
    and continuing is dire however....where do they "live"....sleep eat wash cook.
    half this countrys humans cant afford to live, pay hedge fund ever increasing
    rents let alone costs of Any thing else.
    where do they squat? eat? sleep?

recently some rw'r said to me something about...'send them all home'.
    where i said?....they have no food no water no FIREWOOD theyve got nothing
    thats why they left there and spent months to Years trying to get elsewhere, or here.
    it wasnt an over nite fantasy road trip.
    so what do we do at the border?...do we kill them?
    ...no srsly....what do we do with them?

the rwr had not a clue what to say or do.

who answers that question?.....Stone?....bannon?....jared?....
    no one has the answer yet they all want us all to bicker over it.

meanwhile....more humans are on the desperate run for survival.
    i dont have the answers, not a clue what billions of humans are sppsd to do in
    the waning years of capi-tol-izm.

You don't have to be a right winger to say "send them back". I say it all the time.

As for the conditions they live in, I can tell you, while their conditions may be harsh by our middle-class 'Murica standards, not all are as dire as they make them out to be; you hear stories of gang/government persecution, but overwhelmingly, they are just poor and blinded by the U.S.' land o'plenty image.

As for "capi-tol-izm", you don't see immigrants by the thousands trying to enter China, Cuba, Venezuela, etc. "Capi-tol-izm" is what makes the U.S. so attractive.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that people should have affordable access to things, and I am ok with part of my tax dollars going to social programs that benefit the less fortunate. But there are plenty of less fortunate here, which I firmly believe should be taken care of first.

"...be taken care of first."

over population has humans on the run. everywhere.
    yet, there is no place to go for any relief.

the rich are taken care of "first".
    then, the rest of allyall get whats left if you can.

why is over population an ignored issue. i dont get this.
    we whine and complain about alllll sorta crap but over pop is ignored.

during Mayan times they had elsewhere to walk off to, they could find the
    next place to "migrate" after deforesting all of CAmerica.
    today...there is no elsewhere to flee. unless you have a 550mil yacht you
    think will save you for eternity. :ROFLMAO:

oh yeh then theres mars. sure we'll all go live there. have hedge funds build apt
    complexes. :ROFLMAO:

these personal sentiments of both gov and social have no grounding since
    they are all ignored by those in control.
    meanwhile, humans are on the move migrating for survival and all we do is
    complain about them.
    just sayin.

We don't have an overpopulation problem, we have a distribution of resources problem.

Hedgefunds buying up properties is a bigger problem than overpopulation. We shouldn't blame the people who can't afford basic needs, we should be blaming the individuals who have enough to provide millions of people with their basic needs.

Lol, You aren’t draining Texas of Texans, any more than a dime out of your pocket will go to renting buses.

I'm sure she meant from the perspective of those people might eventually become U.S. citizens and, thus, Texas citizens had they not been shipped to Chicago. Anyway, while I understand there are legitimate concerns about illegal immigration, this is a bush-league move by Abbot. But that's not surprising considering he's a jerk.

I'm sure she meant from the perspective of those people might eventually become U.S. citizens and, thus, Texas citizens had they not been shipped to Chicago. Anyway, while I understand there are legitimate concerns about illegal immigration, this is a bush-league move by Abbot. But that's not surprising considering he's a jerk.
    Abbot is a jerk, but I don’t hear many people at either work, the gym, or elsewhere complaining about this. I imagine if we were hit with another Hurricane Harvey then people would welcome undocumented immigrants (like we did in New Orleans after Katrina). People love them for their cheap labor, good food, and peppy music, but sometimes those things don’t outweigh the perceived burden that they are on the system.

Anyway, good luck to Beatlejuice and all of her constituents in Chicago. Keep sending Fortune 500s down to Texas, and we will keep sending you “Texans”. Lol

Abbot is a jerk, but I don’t hear many people at either work, the gym, or elsewhere complaining about this. I imagine if we were hit with another Hurricane Harvey then people would welcome undocumented immigrants (like we did in New Orleans after Katrina). People love them for their cheap labor, good food, and peppy music, but sometimes those things don’t outweigh the perceived burden that they are on the system.

Anyway, good luck to Beatlejuice and all of her constituents in Chicago. Keep sending Fortune 500s down to Texas, and we will keep sending you “Texans”. Lol

has nothing to do with being a burden on the system. they aren't. They're a windfall.

This is racism and xenophobia politics at it's most basic level.

While it will take a few years to play out, I have a feeling the environment in Texas is going to change for the worse business wise. While Texas' tax structure and regulation environment is very advantageous for corporate America, which is why they continue to want to move here, there are headwinds building that will start working against that current tide of companies moving here. First, employers are going to start facing difficulties in attacking woman, given the states ultra conservative and backwards abortion and bodily autonomy laws and environment. The states attacks and aggression towards LGBTQ+ people is going to have a similar effect. Second, the states attack on education/educators and its chronic under investment in education is creating a situation where the population is going to be under educated for the jobs that are available and that need to be filled. That means they're going to have to import more talent from other states. Given the ultra MAGA politics of the state, that's going to be increasingly a more difficult ask.

I used to think Texas would turn purple, but if there isn't a strong move towards purple in the next 2 elections, I actually think it will turn more red. More and More people that would vote for Democrats will increasingly decide they don't want to move to Texas. And many who already live here may decide to move to other states over the next few years.

Last edited:
    And with any luck those Fortune 500 companies bring their left-of-center employees with them and Texas turns purple!
    Oh that’s not being lost on Texans. How many times have I seen or heard people say “don’t California my Texas”, and I get it. Please don’t up my taxes por favor. I don’t mind them bringing their social policies to Texas, and letting the public decide if they want to adopt them, I think that’s part of the beauty of America that I romanticize about most. The idea of letting the public decide is such a great idea.
    has nothing to do with being a burden on the system. they aren't. They're a windfall.

This is racism and xenophobia politics at it's most basic level.
    I would say it’s less xenophobic politics and more opportunistic politics.

Oh that’s not being lost on Texans. How many times have I seen or heard people say “don’t California my Texas”, and I get it. Please don’t up my taxes por favor. I don’t mind them bringing their social policies to Texas, and letting the public decide if they want to adopt them, I think that’s part of the beauty of America that I romanticize about most. The idea of letting the public decide is such a great idea.

I would say it’s less xenophobic politics and more opportunistic politics.

Neither work without racism and idiots.

Texas congressional districts are so Gerrymandered that it wouldn't turn purple, even though Texas is a majority brown state.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom