Immigrants do Washington (DC) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

el caliente

Reaction score
    Apparently immigrants are a problem, at least that’s what the Mayor of DC is saying. Well technically the Mayor’s problem is the Governors of Texas and Arizona are bussing folks to DC.

I understand the complaint, but at the same time, I don’t blame the Governors for doing what they are doing. They have said that immigrants aren’t welcome, and DC has taken the opposite approach by saying that it will be a “Sanctuary City”.

Inundate DC with as many immigrants until it’s such a problem for politicians that the bend (but don’t break) MO is done away with, and one decision has to be made before the Nations Capital becomes a squatters village, and politicians are sharing an Uber with immigrants.

Looks like you don't understand the point. As simple as I can say it, Florida doesn't call itself a sanctuary State, but they do the same thing that sanctuary States do (albeit just for Cubans).

Reminds me of an acquaintance that swore he wasn't gay, because he was a top exclusively.
    Stop being obtuse, we both know what a sanctuary state is (well, I think you do).

DeSantis has made it very clear that Florida isn’t a “Sanctuary” state. The city of Miami might say that it is a sanctuary city, but according to the Governor, Miami is going against state law. The city of Miami might bend over backwards for Cubans, but that doesn’t make the state of Florida a “sanctuary” state. One is a state (Florida) the other is a city (Miami).

So once again, sending them to Florida no sense. It makes even less sense for AZ and TX to send immigrants to Florida when those three Governors are all on the same page with immigrants.

The illegal immigrants that are caught at the border are going to be processed the exact same way anywhere, no matter where they are sent.

Who is saying anything about letting people stay?
    Exactly, they are already going to be processed, so why not let DC and NYC take care of them after that? There is no problem with AZ and TX sending immigrants to those places, is there?

Yet again , those places are self-proclaimed sanctuaries because they don't aid in the prosecution of people who are already integrated in their communities.
    So we both know what makes a state/city a “Sanctuary” state/city, so why is it difficult to understand how social services are being taxing the system?

The non-Sanctuary system is using resources to find these immigrants. While immigrants are in detention centers the state is paying for their food/bedding/etc. (thanks Private prison system). If the individual gets sick the state is paying for their healthcare.

Texas and Arizona don’t want to foot these bills (who does), so why should they. Send them to States who are more accepting of immigrants. Everyone wins.

Stiffer how? How would the people you grew up with in the U.S. would know? As kids, did y'all sat around discussing immigration policies?
    That’s what I am asking, how is Mexico’s immigration policy compared to what we have here in the US?

We weren’t kids discussing immigration policy, we were teens discussing their families traveling from those countries into Mexico, and then into the US.

Their stories of traveling through Mexico were those of how the Red Cross and UNICEF helped them more than the Mexican government did. As I mentioned, this is from the mouths of teenagers, so we are talking over 20 years ago.

What changed with Mexico’s immigration policy? What were they doing so well before, that they aren’t doing now that the US can learn from?

Also, what parts of Amnesty are you against?

As the son of immigrants, and having grown up with immigrants, I have had the blessing and curse of seeing both sides of immigration (those who came here legally, and those who came illegally). We make it extremely difficult for folks without means to become productive members of a society that they want to be a part of, and it’s a real shame. It’s even more tragic when you see families split up over the issue.

I would love nothing more to see amnesty given on a contingency system. If the person can get a job (and hold it for x period of time), and stay out of criminal court for 2+ years, they should be able to be made a citizen.

Aren't you a Cuban immigrant?
    My parents immigrated from Cuba, that’s why I am pro Amnesty.
    That's not why he did that.
    There are a plethora of reasons why he and the AG have said that Florida will not be a Sanctuary state, and why they are opposed to Miami becoming a Sanctuary city.

They are actually giving these immigrants the option of DC or NYC.

Why send them to Florida though when Florida isn’t a “Sanctuary” state? As of early 2019, there are seven sanctuary states, according to the Center for Immigration Studies. Those states are: California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, NM, Oregon, and VT.

Besides, sending them anywhere other than DC allows politicians to turn a blind eye to the problem (and the influx of immigrants is a problem). Sending them to DC puts those in power in an uncomfortable proximity to the problem, where they have to figure out the problem.
    What does "sanctuary state" mean though?

last i checked it just meant that the local police won't call ICE if they encounter someone where illegally.

Fear of ICE getting involved causes plenty of crimes to go unreported, especially domestic violence.

What does "sanctuary state" mean though?

last i checked it just meant that the local police won't call ICE if they encounter someone where illegally.

Fear of ICE getting involved causes plenty of crimes to go unreported, especially domestic violence.
    That’s spot on what it means. Also, I hadn’t thought about that (unreported crime) aspect of being a “sanctuary” state/city.

A few years back when I lived in New Orleans, and I was attending a Spanish speaking ward a 19 year old young man raped a girl from the congregation who was 15 at the time. He was illegal, she was a citizen. When the girl’s father found him in her room, he knocked him unconscious and called the cops. The boy was released on bail, and he waited for his court date.

Knowing his fate once his sentence was given the family and everyone he knew asked the father to drop the charges. They tried everything from kindness, to death threats. Nothing changed his date and rather than putting him in prison for rape they sent him home to BFE Central America with the promise that if he came back he would be put in prison for x amount of years.

What ended up happening after that though was individuals in that Spanish speaking congregation (rather than go to the police) ended up handling crime internally. That ended as poorly as you could imagine, with rather serious situations ending in people leaving the community and moving to Texas, Mississippi, or wherever they could find work. The victim ultimately got justice, but it was not what the law of the land would prescribe.

I also recall working for a staffing company when I was in college. They hired me because I spoke Spanish, and they had a large number of Spanish speaking temporary associates.

A few weeks after being hired I was asked to be in the main office so that I could help with distributing pay checks to those temporary associates. I thought it odd as they were paying these people before I had arrived, so I wasn’t sure why my involvement was necessary.

When I came in they asked me to hand people their checks and give them directions to leave out of a specific door which led to the street (not the normal door).

The people came in, got their checks, and I told them to go to the assigned door. When they exited (I found out later) ICE was there to pick them up. I heard screams from people, but I had no idea what was going on (the office was across the street from a park). It wasn’t until the end of the day when my boss told me what happened did I realize my part in the process. I quit that same day, and I still feel dirty for the part I played in those people getting popped by ICE. These people were hard workers. None of them had problems on the work site. They were just normal folks trying to earn a $ (and a minimum $ at that).

I see no merit in cities/states saying that they won’t aid officials in locating illegal immigrants, and yet I see little merit in handling illegal employees like my employer did. I wish there was a better way for individuals to gain citizenship which didn’t require the migrant to come from a family with wealth, or that requires political connections. There has to be a better way than this.

That’s spot on what it means. Also, I hadn’t thought about that (unreported crime) aspect of being a “sanctuary” state/city.

A few years back when I lived in New Orleans, and I was attending a Spanish speaking ward a 19 year old young man raped a girl from the congregation who was 15 at the time. He was illegal, she was a citizen. When the girl’s father found him in her room, he knocked him unconscious and called the cops. The boy was released on bail, and he waited for his court date.

Knowing his fate once his sentence was given the family and everyone he knew asked the father to drop the charges. They tried everything from kindness, to death threats. Nothing changed his date and rather than putting him in prison for rape they sent him home to BFE Central America with the promise that if he came back he would be put in prison for x amount of years.

What ended up happening after that though was individuals in that Spanish speaking congregation (rather than go to the police) ended up handling crime internally. That ended as poorly as you could imagine, with rather serious situations ending in people leaving the community and moving to Texas, Mississippi, or wherever they could find work. The victim ultimately got justice, but it was not what the law of the land would prescribe.

I also recall working for a staffing company when I was in college. They hired me because I spoke Spanish, and they had a large number of Spanish speaking temporary associates.

A few weeks after being hired I was asked to be in the main office so that I could help with distributing pay checks to those temporary associates. I thought it odd as they were paying these people before I had arrived, so I wasn’t sure why my involvement was necessary.

When I came in they asked me to hand people their checks and give them directions to leave out of a specific door which led to the street (not the normal door).

The people came in, got their checks, and I told them to go to the assigned door. When they exited (I found out later) ICE was there to pick them up. I heard screams from people, but I had no idea what was going on (the office was across the street from a park). It wasn’t until the end of the day when my boss told me what happened did I realize my part in the process. I quit that same day, and I still feel dirty for the part I played in those people getting popped by ICE. These people were hard workers. None of them had problems on the work site. They were just normal folks trying to earn a $ (and a minimum $ at that).

I see no merit in cities/states saying that they won’t aid officials in locating illegal immigrants, and yet I see little merit in handling illegal employees like my employer did. I wish there was a better way for individuals to gain citizenship which didn’t require the migrant to come from a family with wealth, or that requires political connections. There has to be a better way than this.

If someone here illegally is convicted of a crime, ICE finds out whether or not the local police call them.

That is different from the police calling ICE anytime they encounter someone here illegally. It results in women being afraid to call the police to calm down a domestic situation because she is afraid the father of her children will get deported. This is by far the most common situation i have seen in my job.

There are a plethora of reasons why he and the AG have said that Florida will not be a Sanctuary state, and why they are opposed to Miami becoming a Sanctuary city.

And they're all the same. It's because of politics and FLorida has been a sanctuary state for Cubans for 60 years.

So, knowing that the primary reason for being a sanctuary city or state is to protect people from being too afraid to report crime, please tell us DeSantis’ reasons for opposing this?

And they're all the same. It's because of politics and FLorida has been a sanctuary state for Cubans for 60 years.
    Apparently Florida has been cracking down on Cuban immigrants as well. So perhaps DeSantis doesn’t care as much for that new voting base as we might assume.

So, knowing that the primary reason for being a sanctuary city or state is to protect people from being too afraid to report crime, please tell us DeSantis’ reasons for opposing this?
    What is DeSantis’ reason for cracking down on immigrants?

Financial reasons, criminal reasons, so on and so forth. I am not sure if he is scared of the brown man, but that could be another reason as well.

Why do you believe he is opposing “Sanctuary” cities. Keep in mind, I don’t care for DeSantis, so you can say what you want about the man, and it will bother me like a “Let’s go Brandon” chant to a Biden supporter.

Apparently Florida has been cracking down on Cuban immigrants as well. So perhaps DeSantis doesn’t care as much for that new voting base as we might assume.

Financial reasons, criminal reasons, so on and so forth. I am not sure if he is scared of the brown man, but that could be another reason as well.

Why do you believe he is opposing “Sanctuary” cities.
    Desantis has no authority to stop Cuban immigration.

Cubans are all entitled to green cards under the Cuban adjustment act.

Obama cancelled the "wet foot, dry foot" parole, because at the time he had opened up travel with Cuba, but even with that technically gone, any Cuban who steps foot in the US will be paroled under INA 212d5, which still allows them to apply for a green card.

Why do you believe he is opposing “Sanctuary” cities. Keep in mind, I don’t care for DeSantis, so you can say what you want about the man, and it will bother me like a “Let’s go Brandon” chant to a Biden supporter.
    So you don’t know the reasons? Your answers are super vague.

I’m not the one that said he had many reasons. I thought you specifically knew what they were.

So you don’t know the reasons? Your answers are super vague.

I’m not the one that said he had many reasons. I thought you specifically knew what they were.
    You are upset with my vague answers? That’s fine, go look for that answer yourself, or engage the poster who brought Florida into the conversation for those details.

All I know is that Florida isn’t a “sanctuary” state, and I am not arguing for immigrants to be sent there. I am saying that DC (which claims to be a “Sanctuary” city) should be happy to accept these immigrants as they profess to be a “Sanctuary” city.

I find it interesting that Adams is accusing Abbot of trying to score political points when Adams has said that NYC will be a “Sanctuary” city.

Either say you are (and accept people being sent to you), or say you aren’t (and force the federal government to do more than they are doing). If you are the party of “kIdS iN cAgEs” then you better be ready to play defense when the opposition hits you with stuff like this.

It’s an interesting situation that I hope is cleared up in my lifetime.

Last edited:
    You are upset with my vague answers? That’s fine, go look for that answer yourself, or engage the poster who brought Florida into the conversation for those details.

All I know is that Florida isn’t a “sanctuary” state, and I am not arguing for immigrants to be sent there. I am saying that DC (which claims to be a “Sanctuary” city) should be happy to accept these immigrants as they profess to be a “Sanctuary” city.
    Even though you have been shown that accepting new undocumented immigrants is not what “sanctuary” means?

I’m not upset, el, lol. You were the one that posited that DeSantis has reasons, I just wondered what you think they are.

Even though you have been shown that accepting new undocumented immigrants is not what “sanctuary” means?

I’m not upset, el, lol. You were the one that posited that DeSantis has reasons, I just wondered what you think they are.
    Did I say otherwise? Being a “Sanctuary” state/city means that you aren’t going to be proactive with immigration authorities. It also shows that you are more accepting and tolerant of these immigrants than a state like Texas, Arizona, or even Florida. There is nothing lost here.

Personally I couldn’t give two flips how Florida approaches their immigration policy. They have said that they are not going to be a “sanctuary” state, and that’s all that needs to be said about their acceptance of immigrants (for whatever reasons).

Either be bout that “sanctuary” life, or don’t. But don’t say you are a “sanctuary” city, and then complain that things are becoming a problem when immigrants are populating your state/city.

Side question: Do residents of NYC have buyers remorse with regards to Adams?

The duck is indeed saying that calling Florida a “Sanctuary” state is not accurate. The duck also provided the link with reference to what states are “Sanctuary” states, and what being a “Sanctuary” state/city means. So no, Florida is not a duck.

Obviously TX and AZ have more space than DC (I never said that they didn’t). I am saying those two places have said that they don’t want immigrants, and they will be stringent on their immigration laws. DC on the other hand is more accommodating of immigrants, so send the immigrants there.

What was Mexicos policy with immigrants before, and what is it now? Is Mexico rolling out the welcome wagons and offering up social services to these folks? Is the country in a rush to give these immigrants amnesty? Are the schools and other infrastructure not being taxed with unexpected users?

I am all about amnesty. Let the people have access to the systems that they pay into. Allow the census to report all citizens so social programs and such aren’t maxed out by unexpected users. Sadly, without these folks being on politician’s doorsteps it will never happen. No meaningful change will occur, but this will continue to be a problem for not just the states of Texas and Arizona, but for everyone else.

The problem with this premise is that ever since Trump came along with is firebrand immigration style, legislators from Texas and Arizona (both state and federal) have done everything they can to prevent any type of meaningful immigration measure from passing that isn't something draconian and wasteful. They've done everything to demonize immigrants, but haven't supported any and have torpedoed a few actual attempts at having a comprehensive and effective immigration reform. It's also not in their political self interest to actually find any solutions, because the would mean working with democrats and removing it as one of their culture wars.

So in that light, this is nothing but another cynical culture war by Republicans meant for their constitutions that hate immigrants. It has nothing to do with forcing attention towards an actual solution for immigration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom