How to improve American Education in 2021. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul

Reaction score
    Latin American from Potomac, Maryland 20854
    The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

My suggestion is rather simple.

1. Study why immigrants from East Asia, India, and Nigeria do well with American education. Apply that insight to other groups (if possible).
    2. Manage public schools as if though they were private schools with uniforms and discipline.
    3. Create high end special schools for those that are truly disenfranchised.
    4. Create a force of social workers to treat family dysfunction with regards to education.
    5. Reduce the curriculum to the simple basics and repeat that on a yearly basis.
    6. At about 10th grade divide college bound students away from non-college bound.
    7. Provide solid basic education and trade training for non-college bound kids. There is no point in offering free college to these kids.

Last edited:
    It is crazy, but I don't think it is that cut and dry. Maybe it is, but most people I know are conservative and got the jab and boosters. I also know a few liberals that refuse it as well.

Maybe it comes down if you trust the government and big pharma as opposed who you voted for?

You’re the one who said it was a political purge of the military. I assumed that implied that you believed that only one side of the political spectrum was getting discharged.

If people in the military don’t trust the government, they shouldn’t be serving.

Are we discussing vaccines or therapeutics?

Can we even still call it a vaccine? I know politically we will because the definition was just changed and we have been told too but in reality, is it a vaccine or a pre-therapeutic? Honest question.
    I’ve seen you say therapeutic enough times today to know for a fact that some right-wing media outlet is pushing that as a new narrative. You certainly didn’t think of it yourself.

A few seconds of googling and voila:

Yeah, not surprising. It’s not a therapeutic, just stop sounding stupid. It elicits an immune response that provides protection against a communicable disease. It’s a freaking vaccine.

Something that treats a disease you already have is the general definition of a therapeutic in medicine.

Anti-vaxxers are really, really dumb.

Is it though? I think a political purge of our military under the guise of 'medical safety' is crazy.

You are 100% correct. How dangerous is covid to children? I would argue not enough to mandate the jab unless you are also want the flu shot mandated as well for schools.
    My apologies, I was under the impression we were talking about the wuhan jab, not vaccines over all.

If that is what he meant, then I was wrong. My bad.
    It's all good. Yes, I replied, thinking you meant all school and all military vaccinations. The military has a long list of vaccinations you have to get, Even if you already have!

So, you're only putting a line in the sand for The covid vaccines? And I guess the flu shot too?

And the % of the military who didn't want to do it was tiny, so I wouldn't call it a political purge. The Military is likely still overwhelmingly Republican/Conservative.

Are we discussing vaccines or therapeutics?

Can we even still call it a vaccine? I know politically we will because the definition was just changed and we have been told too but in reality, is it a vaccine or a pre-therapeutic? Honest question.

Umm, yes, we can it's a vaccine.

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of vaccine

1: a preparation that is administered (as by injection) to stimulate the body's immune response against a specific infectious agent or disease: such as
    a: an antigenic preparation of a typically inactivated or attenuated (see ATTENUATED sense 2) pathogenic agent (such as a bacterium or virus) or one of its components or products (such as a protein or toxin)a trivalent influenza vaccineoral polio vaccineMany vaccines are made from the virus itself, either weakened or killed, which will induce antibodies to bind and kill a live virus. Measles vaccines are just that, weakened (or attenuated) measles viruses.— Ann Finkbeiner et al.

Vaccine
    1. An infectious liquid derived from cowpox lesions and used to prevent and attenuate smallpox in humans.
    SEE: Jenner, Edward
    2. Any suspension containing antigenic molecules derived from a microorganism, given to stimulate an immune response to an infectious disease. Vaccines may be made from weakened or killed microorganisms; inactivated toxins; toxoids derived from microorganisms; or immunologically active surface markers extracted or copied from microorganisms. They can be given intramuscularly, subcutaneously, intradermally, orally, or intranasally; as single agents; or in combinations.
    The ideal vaccine should be effective, well tolerated, easy and inexpensive to manufacture, and easy to administer and store

vaccine​

[vak-sēn´]
    a suspension of attenuated or killed microorganisms (viruses, bacteria, or rickettsiae), administered for prevention, amelioration, or treatment of infectious diseases.

Last edited:
    It's all good. Yes, I replied, thinking you meant all school and all military vaccinations. The military has a long list of vaccinations you have to get, Even if you already have!

So, you're only putting a line in the sand for The covid vaccines? And I guess the flu shot too?

And the % of the military who didn't want to do it was tiny, so I wouldn't call it a political purge. The Military is likely still overwhelmingly Republican/Conservative.
    It's been a long time since I was in the military.

I have no sympathy for people who don't want the vaccinations. "It's the military" is my reply, like that is the only thing that needs to be said. I do favor simple quick honorable discharges, not punishments, for those who choose separation over vaccination.

Don't let the door hit them on the way out is good enough for me.

When it comes to the military being "still overwhelmingly Republican/Conservative" I don't remember it that way. What I remember was having my mind so overwhelmed by such a kaleidoscope of major and minor terrors with personal issues shoved in sideways there wasn't room in there for politics.

There wasn't enough time in a day.

I suppose I was a Democrat that whole time. I do remember voting, but I don't remember doing more than looking for the (D) to choose who. I remember leaving the judge questions blank because because they didn't have an (R) or (D), and I didn't know who they were.

I don't remember having had a political discussion with a fellow service member during my whole time in the service. We had plenty to talk about without ever talking about that.

Beer was discussed fairly often.

I had more issues with having a J instead of a P on my dog tags than anything else. If I had it to do over I would lie and say P on that first day, and from then on strive to see Chaplains before they ever could see me.

You’re the one who said it was a political purge of the military. I assumed that implied that you believed that only one side of the political spectrum was getting discharged.

If people in the military don’t trust the government, they shouldn’t be serving.
    I never had the guts to serve, so I don't know for sure, but I think the government and the country are not the same thing. One can server for the values and ideals of the country and not trust bureaucrats that run the government currently. Actually, I know many that are active that feel this way.

Is the flu shot mandated? I don't think it is but not sure. And yes, that is the line the sand.
    In order to force people to get the jab, it has to hinge on fact that is stops transmission. If it does not stop transmission, then there is no logical way you can demand someone take a jab. IMO.

I never had the guts to serve, so I don't know for sure, but I think the government and the country are not the same thing. One can server for the values and ideals of the country and not trust bureaucrats that run the government currently. Actually, I know many that are active that feel this way.
    Gut's are not at all in demand in the military, couch potatoes need not apply. Well developed lungs, legs and arm's are what the military actually looks for.

There's a reason it's called the "armed" forces. Being able to hand over hand up a line with a 40 pound load is what a real plus mark is. One also has to be able to run a mile and a half on their legs at a bare minimum. Running for 10 miles is better.

I served, and then I served some more in the merchant marine. Even with all that service, and all of the people I got to know, I actually don't know a single person who is active now. I don't suppose I've known anyone since 2006 when I worked with someone who had just been discharged. He drove my nuts calling me sir, "sir this," "sir that." I would tell him don't call me sir, he would say "I can't help it."

Once in a while when a blue moon with purple stars, I do meet someone who's active in the service, but it's usually a passing meeting at a filling station or the like, with very little conversation, doesn't go past a few sentences, and those sentences are about branch of service, duty stations and such.

I can usually tell by looking at them who they are, little gut, big arms and legs and a certain kind of posture. That military bearing. The military stamps people so they tend to all look as a type.

Since I currently don't know any of them now, I wouldn't know for a sure fact how they feel, but I would have some real insight in how they would be likely to feel. What would be most prevailing I would think would be there no opinion about it at all rather than many of them having a strong opinion about it. I'm talking 95% to 5%, if not the large number being bigger and the small number being smaller.

Opinions are things generally discouraged by the military brass and ones cohorts alike. It's not at all unusual to be told to shut the fork up, ... which I guess would mean to be to smash all four of the fork's tines together.

I did serve. College is expensive.

Serving the country in the military requires doing what the government tells you to do, so if you don't trust the government, the military isn't the right place for you to serve your country.

Is the flu shot mandated? I don't think it is but not sure. And yes, that is the line the sand.
    In order to force people to get the jab, it has to hinge on fact that is stops transmission. If it does not stop transmission, then there is no logical way you can demand someone take a jab. IMO.

If it doesn't stop transmission but dramatically decreases the odds of death or hospital stay it absolutely should be demanded

More school board takeovers and hijinks
    ===============================

The first 2022 board of education meeting for Wichita Public Schools in Kansas was abruptly canceled on Monday after three newly-elected members refused to comply with the board's own policy requiring masks during in-person meetings held inside school buildings.

The three new members, Diane Albert, Kathy Bond, and Hazel Stabler, were meant to be sworn in at Monday's meeting after they unseated incumbent representatives in a November election, according to The Wichita Eagle. The Sedgwick County Republican Party recruited the three women to run as part of a national conservative effort to mobilize voters around contentious school issues like mask-wearing, mandatory vaccinations, and critical race theory, the outlet reported.

Monday's meeting at Wichita North High School began with Board President Stan Reeser asking everyone in the room, which included multiple unmasked observers in addition to the three unmasked members, to put on a protective face covering, according to local radio station KMUW. When the newly-elected members refused, Reeser swiftly ended the meeting.

"Due to noncompliance, it is my duty to suspend this meeting without calling it to order," Reeser reportedly said...........

The flu shot is mandated where I work - in a hospital. I think most hospitals are that way, and most nursing homes. I would guess it may be for the armed forces too, but not sure.

The original vaccines did stop transmission, omicron is a new beast. Even with omicron, the booster greatly increases your chances of A. Not getting it. Or B. Getting a version so mild it’s like a simple cold. I sat next to a family member at lunch a couple weeks ago, and he tested positive two days later. Said he had a scratchy throat during lunch. I have not had any symptoms and have tested negative (home tests) twice. I would say my chances of getting omicron (assuming that’s what he had, because he was vaccinated but not boosted) without my vaccine and booster were probably 100%. With the booster I’m around 70% likely to not get it, IIRC.

You are incredibly ill-informed about the vaccines and the virus itself. I cannot help that, except to keep telling you the truth. Another truth is this: I have read that natural immunity from earlier versions do nothing against omicron. You are certainly taking your chances.

My neighbor died from Covid the second time she got it. It hit her lungs much harder the second time. I read today that Glen Beck has contracted Covid for a second time, and says it has really hit his lungs this time. He didn’t get the vaccine, and his natural immunity didn’t help him.

There‘s zero logic for not taking the vaccine. Safe and effective.

The flu shot is mandated where I work - in a hospital. I think most hospitals are that way, and most nursing homes. I would guess it may be for the armed forces too, but not sure.

The original vaccines did stop transmission, omicron is a new beast. Even with omicron, the booster greatly increases your chances of A. Not getting it. Or B. Getting a version so mild it’s like a simple cold. I sat next to a family member at lunch a couple weeks ago, and he tested positive two days later. Said he had a scratchy throat during lunch. I have not had any symptoms and have tested negative (home tests) twice. I would say my chances of getting omicron (assuming that’s what he had, because he was vaccinated but not boosted) without my vaccine and booster were probably 100%. With the booster I’m around 70% likely to not get it, IIRC.

You are incredibly ill-informed about the vaccines and the virus itself. I cannot help that, except to keep telling you the truth. Another truth is this: I have read that natural immunity from earlier versions do nothing against omicron. You are certainly taking your chances.

My neighbor died from Covid the second time she got it. It hit her lungs much harder the second time. I read today that Glen Beck has contracted Covid for a second time, and says it has really hit his lungs this time. He didn’t get the vaccine, and his natural immunity didn’t help him.

There‘s zero logic for not taking the vaccine. Safe and effective.
    If the first vaccine did stop transmission, then why was the term 'break through' infection all the rage?

I was in close quarters, the day after Christmas, drinking after and eating after a buddy who came down sick the next day and tested positive. There were 4 other. 2 vaxed and 2 not. No one else got it so there is no rhyme and reason.

I have no idea why we listen to this guy, but everyone does and I just saw this:

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-gates-says-covid-treated-162439596.html

I think Gates is right. He has some pretty good doctors and scientists that he gets his info from. He has spent a good deal of money and effort trying to eradicate malaria, so has learned a bit about communicable disease.

Omicron has done us a favor, and I know that sounds harsh to the people that are still dying. But the fact that Omicron is so crazy transmissible means that it can out-compete Delta. And the fact that the vaccines are still preventing serious illness with Omicron for almost everyone means that once this wave passes we can have a semblance of normality. Especially with the actual oral therapeutics that are either just approved or will be approved shortly. There will be an Omicron vaccine by spring, I read, and that will be important for the elderly and those at high risk.

The sewer shed data from Boston indicates a significant drop in the amount of Covid entering that city’s sewer system. Sewer shed data is a really good way to gauge how much disease is out there in a community.

The only caveat is that there could be a new mutation. If we get one that totally evades the vaccine and is highly deadly, then we will be back to square one. But I’m hopeful that won’t happen. It’s just as likely that future variants will be less deadly than more deadly.

A mutation would not evade the vaccine but rather the immune response created by the jab, is that correct, you think?

Yes, true. I was using a shorthand. The vaccines activate your immune system by providing a portion (in some cases) of the virus or some of its proteins to elicit the immune response.

The vaccines seem to produce a broader immune response than actual infection in many cases, which is why doctors urge people who have a previous infection to go ahead and get vaccinated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom