Federal Law Enforcement Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets (UPDATE: Trump admin. deploying federal LE to cities) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragon

Staff member
    Reaction score
    “All United States Marshals Service arrestees have public records of arrest documenting their charges. Our agency did not arrest or detain Mark James Pettibone.”

OPB sent DHS an extensive list of questions about Pettibone’s arrest including: What is the legal justification for making arrests away from federal property? What is the legal justification for searching people who are not participating in criminal activity? Why are federal officers using civilian vehicles and taking people away in them? Are the arrests federal officers make legal under the constitution? If so, how?

After 7 p.m. Thursday, a DHS spokesperson responded, on background, that they could confirm Wolf was in Portland during the day. The spokesperson didn’t acknowledge the remaining questions.

This story is very troublesome.

Troublesome to put it mildly. This is worse than the gassing of a peaceful protest in Washington.

I am skeptical of those reports because it strikes me as such a gross violation in so many areas. If it is true some people - high up - need to pay a hefty price.

I am skeptical of those reports because it strikes me as such a gross violation in so many areas. If it is true some people - high up - need to pay a hefty price.

I don't think it could be more official when the governor of Oregon tweets her protest about it... Also there are several videos if you search for them

More links and more videos

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...portland-protesters-unmarked-vans/5457471002/

And Trump even brags about it

"We’ve done a great job in Portland," Trump said. "I guess, we have many people right now in jail, and we very much quelled it. And if it starts again, we’ll quell it again very easily. It’s not hard to do if you know what you’re doing."

Oregon Governor Kate Brown, Mayor Ted Wheeler and other local leaders have said they didn’t ask for help from federal law enforcement and have asked them to leave.

"We’re aware that they’re here," Wheeler said on Twitter. "We wish they weren’t."

Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf also drew criticism from local leaders when he visited the city Thursday hours after calling the protesters “violent anarchists” and a “violent mob” and saying state and city authorities are to blame for not putting an end to the protests.

"I told Acting Secretary Wolf that the federal government should remove all federal officers from our streets," Brown said in a tweet. "His response showed me he is on a mission to provoke confrontation for political purposes. He is putting both Oregonians and local law enforcement officers in harm’s way."

Cue the “knife slicing through butter” brag that Trump repeated yesterday, I think.

I don't think it could be more official when the governor of Oregon tweets her protest about it... Also there are several videos if you search for them

More links and more videos

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...portland-protesters-unmarked-vans/5457471002/

And Trump even brags about it
    I am not doubting that federal law enforcement is in Portland - I think that is 100% confirmed. Nor do I doubt that they have made arrests. I am talking specifically about the specifics of what Pettibone (and apparently some others) is claiming.

I am not doubting that federal law enforcement is in Portland - I think that is 100% confirmed. Nor do I doubt that they have made arrests. I am talking specifically about the specifics of what Pettibone (and apparently some others) is claiming.

Just watch the videos.

I am in no way suggesting that violence is the answer or that it will solve any problems. I want to get that out in the open before I ask this question. If an unmarked vehicle pulls up, masked men with guns jump out and come for you without announcing who they are or showing some sort of identification and so on, what is the legal ramifications of fighting back? Lets say I legally concealed carry, I'm armed and this happens. I fear for my life and shoot one of these guys. What happens?

Oregon Public Broadcasting says they've seen the video and confirmed that it was at the time, date, and place as claimed.

O’Shea said he ran when he saw people wearing camouflage jump out of an unmarked vehicle. He said he hid when a second unmarked van pursued him.

Video shot by O’Shea and provided to OPB shows a dark screen as O’Shea narrates the scene. Metadata from the video confirms the time and place of the protesters’ account.

And other videos are floating around that are unconfirmed as to time and place, but show the same thing happening. The videos and pictures are all over this Twitter feed:

Yeah, this is my home and we are not happy about it at all.

Trump picked the wrong city to fork with. There are MASSIVE protests being conducted every day already, now they are being consolidated at the federal building

Que the alleged "Conservatives" who are totally okay with this so long as the jackbooted thugs are dragging the "right" people to the Gulag.

And they say "It can't happen here." Got news for y'all...it IS.

Oregon Public Broadcasting says they've seen the video and confirmed that it was at the time, date, and place as claimed.

And other videos are floating around that are unconfirmed as to time and place, but show the same thing happening. The videos and pictures are all over this Twitter feed:

Its impossible to tell if those arrests are like the one Pettibone described. I don't really want to get in a debate as to whether Pettibone is accurately describing what happened - I just remain skeptical for the reason I wrote above: it would be a terrible violation of rights on many levels if this happened once, much more so if it is happening with regularity.

In this instance, I agree with the Mayor and Governor - the state of Oregon and the city of Portland don't need federal police help.

Yeah, this is my home and we are not happy about it at all.

Trump picked the wrong city to fork with. There are MASSIVE protests being conducted every day already, now they are being consolidated at the federal building
    Not trying to be a conspiracy guy, but I wonder if that is the real reason for federal activity: to ratchet up the protests???

Its impossible to tell if those arrests are like the one Pettibone described. I don't really want to get in a debate as to whether Pettibone is accurately describing what happened - I just remain skeptical for the reason I wrote above: it would be a terrible violation of rights on many levels if this happened once, much more so if it is happening with regularity.

In this instance, I agree with the Mayor and Governor - the state of Oregon and the city of Portland don't need federal police help.

I'm not sure if you watched them, but some of them shows cops approaching individuals and taking them to unmarked cars without a word. That's exactly what Pettibone described.

This story is very troublesome.
    This is where the Patriot Act was inevitably going to lead to. There's a reason the protestors are being labeled as terrorists by the Trump administration and they are saying our cities are under siege and under attack.

Speaking to NPR's All Things Considered Friday, Acting Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Ken Cuccinelli acknowledged that federal agents had used unmarked vehicles to pick up people in Portland, but said it was done to keep officers safe and away from crowds and to move detainees to a "safe location for questioning."

I know what you mean, anytime something sounds too horrible to be true, it often isn't true. At least not true to the degree of horribleness that is alleged.

I'd like to hope this is an example of a policy that might not have been totally thought through but not as nefarious as it sounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom