Euthanasia; Yeah or Nay? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    This is becoming a talking point or will be soon. I personally have no issue with medical assisted suicide in a hospice care environment. There is a push, and this is in Canada, to include the mentally ill, disabled, and even the homeless. That I cannot get behind. What does everyone else think about it?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...-of-abuse-is-becoming-ever-more-apparent.html

How does the unthinkable become not only thinkable, but seemingly inevitable? How do we normalize things we recently considered not just abnormal, but horrifying?

The question arises because a major Canadian medical organization is pushing the idea of allowing doctors to do something that’s long been considered unthinkable and abnormal: killing infants who are born with conditions that make survival impossible.

The Quebec College of Physicians made the case for this before a parliamentary committee studying changes to Canada’s law on medical assistance in dying (MAID), a.k.a. assisted suicide.

To be clear, the college’s proposal involves only newborns with severe malformations whose chance for life is “basically nil.” It wouldn’t be a license to kill babies. But let’s also be clear about this: authorizing doctors to actively euthanize infants — rather than allowing nature to take its course — does cross a line once thought inviolable.

The college suggests blurring things in other ways, too. It supports extending MAID to “mature minors,” i.e. teenagers aged 14 to 17, and wants us to think about allowing euthanasia for old people who are just “tired of living.”

Now, Canada’s laws on MAID have long been stretched far beyond the original (and praiseworthy) concept of sparing terminally ill people from unnecessary agony at the end of their lives, allowing a so-called “death with dignity.” When the law was passed in 2016 it didn’t specify that a person must be terminally ill to qualify for a medically assisted death, and last year it was amended to remove the requirement that death be “reasonably foreseeable.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/famil...ssion-wasn-t-fit-for-assisted-death-1.4609016

A British Columbia man who struggled with depression and showed no signs of facing an imminent demise was given a medically-assisted death despite desperate pleas from his loved ones, family members say.

Alan Nichols was admitted to Chilliwack General Hospital in June, at age 61, after he was found dehydrated and malnourished. One month later, he died by injection.

Days before his death, family members begged Nichols, a former school janitor who lived alone and struggled with depression, not to go through with the procedure. They still don’t know why doctors approved the life-ending procedure and insist that Nichols did not fit the government criteria of facing an “imminent death.”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/canad...law-include-mentally-ill-enable-mature-minors

Did you though?

Yes. I listed three or so different medical issues off the top of my head. You refused to engage in an honest discussion about the issue, so I moved on, yet here you are, following me around and asking pointless questions. Your sealioning is noted and if you genuinely want to have a discussion about this, you can PM me.

Takes a whole lot of nerve to question somebody else about the topic of OP’s thread when he was the one who originally derailed it. 🙂

Takes a whole lot of nerve to question somebody else about the topic of OP’s thread when he was the one who originally derailed it. 🙂
    At this point, not sure who derailed it, but my middle name is 'nerves of steel' so this checks out.

You will be ok.
    Your response is unsurprising.

So, in case you have forgotten the question:

Do you support living wills and durable powers of attorney?

And this has to do with state sponsored euthanasia how?
    State sponsored euthanasia? Interesting. You derailed your own thread with bullschlitz about abortion. Your initial post was also disingenuous. Canada is not the U.S. In addition, the parents of such a child can decide what they wish. Your input is neither warranted nor needed. As for elderly? There is nothing more personal and not your business than death. Neither the U.S. on a federal level nor on the state level is suggesting governmental control over the manner of death in the circumstances of quality of life or terminal diagnosis or other circumstances.

In other words, it is none of your business.

Answer my question.

It has been rough for him. He's realizing that he will have to call Trump his President in November.
    Nah. Trump will lose even though you and Farb will scream to “Stop The Steal” like your false god did last time.

Peddle your bullschlitz somewhere else.

Your response is unsurprising.

So, in case you have forgotten the question:

Do you support living wills and durable powers of attorney?
    Not sure, haven't needed to think about it. Why do you ask because I am curious on this leap you are about to take.

State sponsored euthanasia? Interesting. You derailed your own thread with bullschlitz about abortion. Your initial post was also disingenuous. Canada is not the U.S. In addition, the parents of such a child can decide what they wish. Your input is neither warranted nor needed. As for elderly? There is nothing more personal and not your business than death. Neither the U.S. on a federal level nor on the state level is suggesting governmental control over the manner of death in the circumstances of quality of life or terminal diagnosis or other circumstances.

In other words, it is none of your business.

Answer my question.
    The state has no business in protecting life?

Not sure, haven't needed to think about it. Why do you ask because I am curious on this leap you are about to take.
    You are incurious. Look up the terms and respond to the question. Your insult and deflection are almost as weak as SFL.

Refer to the question you have been ignoring.
    No. I won't be wasting my time researching living wills and power of attorneys in a debate on the ethics of state sponsored Euthanasia. Unless, you can provide me with a carrot and show me how they are related in slightest

No. I won't be wasting my time researching living wills and power of attorneys in a debate on the ethics of state sponsored Euthanasia. Unless, you can provide me with a carrot and show me how they are related in slightest
    Then any commentary regarding euthanasia and/or end of life from you is semantically null.

I hear Freeperville has an opening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom