Elon Musk and Twitter Reach Deal for Sale (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    Elon Musk struck a deal on Monday to buy Twitter for roughly $44 billion, in a victory by the world’s richest man to take over the influential social network frequented by world leaders, celebrities and cultural trendsetters.

Twitter agreed to sell itself to Mr. Musk for $54.20 a share, a 38 percent premium over the company’s share price this month before he revealed he was the firm’s single largest shareholder. It would be the largest deal to take a company private — something Mr. Musk has said he will do with Twitter — in at least two decades, according to data compiled by Dealogic.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Mr. Musk said in a statement announcing the deal. “Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.”

The deal, which has been unanimously approved by Twitter’s board, is expected to close this year, subject to a vote of Twitter shareholders and certain regulatory approvals.

The blockbuster agreement caps what had seemed an improbable attempt by the famously mercurial Mr. Musk, 50, to buy the social media company — and immediately raises questions about what he will do with the platform and how his actions will affect online speech globally.

If Musk does what he claims he wants to do it will be a big improvement and good for free speech.

So, Twitter seems to be now just randomly putting blue check marks back on what they are calling legacy verified accounts. Willy nilly, not even caring if the celebrity has died, it seems:

Twitter is just disintegrating. Now all the alt-right trolls, crypto bros, climate deniers, MAGA-Q, anti-vax nuts that bought blue check marks have their replies to tweets pushed to the top - every time they make an idiotic comment it goes straight to the top. Which resulted in this:

Best explanation I’ve seen for why Musk’s idea of charging for blue checks and then promoting everything they say to the top is horrible:

LOL, free speech space Karen is doing more “censorship” (it‘s really not censorship, but when it happened before Musk took over it was called censorship by pretend journalists and other whiners) than Twitter did in the before times:

He learned from Trump that all you have to do is spout out a bunch of nonsense that the crazies want to hear, and they'll back you 100% without question...

More fair treatment. I never tweet, so I should lose my identity on Twitter? NPR doesn’t have to tweet to maintain an account.

Seems to be on par with they way Musk has been lately..

1683727183680.png

Just a friendly reminder that Taibbi was completely lying about the “twitter files”. He misrepresented fees the FBI paid Twitter for legitimate expenses incurred during child exploitation investigations as something nefarious. Meanwhile Twitter seems to be cooperating with actual government censorship in authoritarian regimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom