DOJ reviewing classified documents found at former Biden office and residence, Special Counsel appointed (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar with the matter told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

...The White House statement said that it “is cooperating” with the department but did not explain why Mr. Biden’s team waited more than two months to announce the discovery of the documents, which came a week before the midterm congressional elections when the news would have been an explosive last-minute development.

It also came shortly before Mr. Garland’s Nov. 18 appointment of Jack Smith as a special counsel to take over the criminal investigation into Mr. Trump’s failure to return a large number of classified documents that were sent to his Florida residence and club, Mar-a-Lago, when he left office — even after being subpoenaed.

A government watchdog is demanding the US attorney probing Hunter Biden in Delaware investigate tens of millions in anonymous donations from China to the University of Pennsylvania, where an academic center is named for his father, President Biden.

The Ivy League college raked in a total of $54.6 million from 2014 through June 2019 in donations from China, including $23.1 million in anonymous gifts starting in 2016, according to public records.

Most of the anonymous donations came after the university announced in February 2017 that it would create the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement. Joe Biden, whose term as vice president had just ended, was to lead the center and was also named a professor at the university.

The center, which is located in Washington, DC, opened its doors in February 2018. Antony Blinken, whom Biden named as secretary of state, briefly served as its managing director.

The Ivy League university received $15.8 million in anonymous Chinese gifts that year, including one eye-popping $14.5 million donation in May 2018, records show.

Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar with the matter told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

...The White House statement said that it “is cooperating” with the department but did not explain why Mr. Biden’s team waited more than two months to announce the discovery of the documents, which came a week before the midterm congressional elections when the news would have been an explosive last-minute development.

It also came shortly before Mr. Garland’s Nov. 18 appointment of Jack Smith as a special counsel to take over the criminal investigation into Mr. Trump’s failure to return a large number of classified documents that were sent to his Florida residence and club, Mar-a-Lago, when he left office — even after being subpoenaed.

A government watchdog is demanding the US attorney probing Hunter Biden in Delaware investigate tens of millions in anonymous donations from China to the University of Pennsylvania, where an academic center is named for his father, President Biden.

The Ivy League college raked in a total of $54.6 million from 2014 through June 2019 in donations from China, including $23.1 million in anonymous gifts starting in 2016, according to public records.

Most of the anonymous donations came after the university announced in February 2017 that it would create the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement. Joe Biden, whose term as vice president had just ended, was to lead the center and was also named a professor at the university.

The center, which is located in Washington, DC, opened its doors in February 2018. Antony Blinken, whom Biden named as secretary of state, briefly served as its managing director.

The Ivy League university received $15.8 million in anonymous Chinese gifts that year, including one eye-popping $14.5 million donation in May 2018, records show.

That's no big deal. I hope you aren't hoping this is comparable to Trump? If the documents are classified, I'm sure that Biden will assure they are returned. Even though Trump's trove of documents was a couple of orders of magnitude greater, even he wouldn't be in much trouble if he simply returned them after they were discovered more than a year earlier.

As usual, just a post. It’s not a big deal. They did what they were supposed to do, they self-reported and turned the material over immediately. This type of occurrence is never prosecuted.

Trump’s transgression is very often prosecuted. And usually much faster than they are going in his case. He will most likely face charges related to the lying and covering up the presence of the documents rather than the possession itself.

SFL-since you posted this it’s fair to want to know what you think.

That's no big deal. I hope you aren't hoping this is comparable to Trump? If the documents are classified, I'm sure that Biden will assure they are returned. Even though Trump's trove of documents was a couple of orders of magnitude greater, even he wouldn't be in much trouble if he simply returned them after they were discovered more than a year earlier.
    The documents have already been returned. They were returned as soon as they were discovered.

But, as you said, it is significantly different. Off the top of my head:
    —10 documents vs hundreds.
    —Stored at his office vs laying around his home mixed with other items.
    —Returned immediately and full cooperation with investigators vs refusal to return them, ignoring subpoenas, moving them to hide them, providing a false sworn statement that there were no more documents, and continuing to claim they are yours after they are seized by the DOJ.

No need to worry. He probably declassified it in his mind, or something. I read recently that was a thing some presidents do
    I'm not worried. I'm sure Garland will appoint a special prosecutor for this case just like he did for Trump/sarcasm off.

It was neat how they waited until now to announce it. Why would they think voters would have want to known it before the election? My favorite part was how they discovered those classified documents that Biden had before he appointed the special prosecutor for Trump.

I'm not worried. I'm sure Garland will appoint a special prosecutor for this case just like he did for Trump/sarcasm off.

It was neat how they waited until now to announce it. Why would they think voters would have want to known it before the election? My favorite part was how they discovered those classified documents that Biden had before he appointed the special prosecutor for Trump.
    Didn't the govt try to do it quietly with Trump for months?

The documents have already been returned. They were returned as soon as they were discovered.

But, as you said, it is significantly different. Off the top of my head:
    —10 documents vs hundreds.
    —Stored at his office vs laying around his home mixed with other items.
    —Returned immediately and full cooperation with investigators vs refusal to return them, ignoring subpoenas, moving them to hide them, providing a false sworn statement that there were no more documents, and continuing to claim they are yours after they are seized by the DOJ.
    It's very clear there are different rules for Biden & Clinton vs Trump.

Weren't we told that any classified documents that are unsecured is a security risk? What's even better is that those unsecured classified documents were at the same place that had recently received 54 million in questionable donations from China.

I would think some sort of review or investigation would make sense - especially considering the whole thing with Trump - to make sure the documents weren't taken or used for nefarious purposes.

As usual, just a post. It’s not a big deal. They did what they were supposed to do, they self-reported and turned the material over immediately. This type of occurrence is never prosecuted.

Trump’s transgression is very often prosecuted. And usually much faster than they are going in his case. He will most likely face charges related to the lying and covering up the presence of the documents rather than the possession itself.

SFL-since you posted this it’s fair to want to know what you think.
    It's laughable the excuses that people will come up with for Biden mishandling classified documents, when the same people acted like world was ending when Trump was found to have done the same thing.

You guys don't know how long Biden had those classified documents. It could have been longer than Trump. It might have been for less time. It doesn't change the fact that Clinton, Trump and Biden all mishandled classified documents.

Everyone should be treated the same if they mishandled classified documents. If any normal people mishandled classified documents like Clinton, Trump & Biden they would all be in jail. Whatever the punishment should be it should be applied to everyone the same no matter what their position is.

It's laughable the excuses that people will come up with for Biden mishandling classified documents, when the same people acted like world was ending when Trump was found to have done the same thing.

You guys don't know how long Biden had those classified documents. It could have been longer than Trump. It might have been for less time. It doesn't change the fact that Clinton, Trump and Biden all mishandled classified documents.

Everyone should be treated the same if they mishandled classified documents. If any normal people mishandled classified documents like Clinton, Trump & Biden they would all be in jail. Whatever the punishment should be it should be applied to everyone the same no matter what their position is.

You always go to far. We don't know the nature of the classified documents. The big question is stuff like "Why didn't the National Archives know this was missing? If they did, did they request them to be turned over?"

It also brings up a bigger point now of, how many classified docs are in presidential libraries?

However, Biden self reported, and already turned this over. He isn't obstructing in anyway like Trump.

It's very clear there are different rules for Biden & Clinton vs Trump.

Weren't we told that any classified documents that are unsecured is a security risk? What's even better is that those unsecured classified documents were at the same place that had recently received 54 million in questionable donations from China.
    Yes, as someone who deals with classified documents on a daily basis, I can say that mishandling classified documents is a security risk.

I can also say, with certainty, that someone who comes forward and says “hey, I found this classified material at my house. I need to return it. What else do I need to do?” And who cooperated fully with a damage assessment is likely to receive minimal, if any, disciplinary action.

On the other hand, a person who is know. To have classified material at their home, refuses to return it, ignores subpoenas, moves the material to hide it, and has their lawyer lie and say there is no classified material will receive significant disciplinary action.

To make an analogy…Do you think a person who hides hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise under their clothes and walks out of a Walmart should be treated the same as someone who forgot to scan the big pack of paper towels under their cart and immediately walks back in to the store saying “I forgot to pay for this”?

Yes, as someone who deals with classified documents on a daily basis, I can say that mishandling classified documents is a security risk.

I can also say, with certainty, that someone who comes forward and says “hey, I found this classified material at my house. I need to return it. What else do I need to do?” And who cooperated fully with a damage assessment is likely to receive minimal, if any, disciplinary action.

On the other hand, a person who is know. To have classified material at their home, refuses to return it, ignores subpoenas, moves the material to hide it, and has their lawyer lie and say there is no classified material will receive significant disciplinary action.

To make an analogy…Do you think a person who hides hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise under their clothes and walks out of a Walmart should be treated the same as someone who forgot to scan the big pack of paper towels under their cart and immediately walks back in to the store saying “I forgot to pay for this”?
    Nice analogy, but we have no idea how long Biden had those classified documents at his think tank...the same think tank that had received 54 million in questionable Chinese donations.

Shouldn't your analogy say that the person who had forgot to scan the watch(I'm sure you picked paper towels to make it sound like nothing) came back 2 years later to say he forgot to scan it after someone found the watch at his house?

We still don't even know exactly what documents Trump had right? Didn't the media report that he had top-secret US nuclear documents? That turned out to be not be true right?

They've got him now!

Let's hope that the House has hearings over the mishandling of classified documents.

I suspect they aren't going to want to bring up the topic.

Nice analogy, but we have no idea how long Biden had those classified documents at his think tank...the same think tank that had received 54 million in questionable Chinese donations.

Shouldn't your analogy say that the person who had forgot to scan the watch(I'm sure you picked paper towels to make it sound like nothing) came back 2 years later to say he forgot to scan it after someone found the watch at his house?

We still don't even know exactly what documents Trump had right? Didn't the media report that he had top-secret US nuclear documents? That turned out to be not be true right?
    I picked paper towels because that’s the last thing I remembered having under my cart at a Walmart.

But, ok, let’s go with your correction.

Case 1 — question to follow:
    A person hides hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise under their clothes and walks out of a Walmart. They are approached by security and asked to return the items. They deny having the items and go home. Police are called and shown surveillance video of the individual stuffing particular items into their jacket. Police get a search warrant, execute it, and find those exact items at the individual’s home. The individual is prosecuted for theft:
    —Did law enforcement act inappropriately?

Case 2 — question to follow
    Individual forgets to scan large package of paper towels under their cart when they use the self checkout. They leave the store and go home. They realize, some time later, that they did not pay for the paper towels. They return to the store, some time later, and notify the store that they accidentally left without paying for paper towels, and ask the store how they can rectify the situation.
    —Should that individual be treated the same as the individual in the first case?

As for Trumps documents, no. The news reported that he had documents related to nuclear weapons. I seem to remember the reports (at least some of them) specifically stating that they did not know what country the documents pertained to. We know now that they pertained to Iran.

I picked paper towels because that’s the last thing I remembered having under my cart at a Walmart.

But, ok, let’s go with your correction.

Case 1 — question to follow:
    A person hides hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise under their clothes and walks out of a Walmart. They are approached by security and asked to return the items. They deny having the items and go home. Police are called and shown surveillance video of the individual stuffing particular items into their jacket. Police get a search warrant, execute it, and find those exact items at the individual’s home. The individual is prosecuted for theft:
    —Did law enforcement act inappropriately?

Case 2 — question to follow
    Individual forgets to scan large package of paper towels under their cart when they use the self checkout. They leave the store and go home. They realize, some time later, that they did not pay for the paper towels. They return to the store, some time later, and notify the store that they accidentally left without paying for paper towels, and ask the store how they can rectify the situation.
    —Should that individual be treated the same as the individual in the first case?

Oh, he is doing his gosh god darn best to ignore the obvious....like voluntarily turning over the docs and fully cooperating with the custodians is exactly the same as lying that you have them and then obstructing once they are discovered....what a complete and utter troll....

SFL you have a completely weird viewpoint. It’s entirely self-serving and always - emphasis on always - makes excuses for Trump and other far right figures. So, the person who discovers the documents, self reports, turns them over etc is the same as the person who steals documents he knew he wasn’t entitled to have, lied about having them, tried to actively hide them etc.

This is the outlook of a child.

Nobody said they shouldn’t look into the matter and they are doing so.

Fascinating that you try to make a big deal about supposed Chinese donations to this think tank yet say nary a word about Ivanka’s trademarks nor Trump’s Chinese bank accounts that he lied about having.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom