Do you believe being Cis-gendered is a form of privilege? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Intensesaint

Reaction score
    Just curious what people think.

I personally do not see there being any kind of special privilege to being comfortable in your own skin.

first things first

What?

It's a way to avoid saying gender normative, or normal.

For instance, my sister, who was arbitrarily assigned female as her gender at birth, coincidentally feels like she is a female, so now she is my cister.

Any time a group suffers any type of discrimination, anyone not a member of that group enjoys some type of privilege.

It isn't my fault that I am a straight white cis gendered male, but i do benefit from it anytime someone who is racist, homophobic, or prejudiced against a group I am not a member of interacts with me.

Any time a group suffers any type of discrimination, anyone not a member of that group enjoys some type of privilege.

It isn't my fault that I am a straight white cis gendered male, but i do benefit from it anytime someone who is racist, homophobic, or prejudiced against a group I am not a member of interacts with me.
    I would agree. (I'm adding to your post, not arguing)

technically, yes, it would be a form of 'privilege', in the sense that cis folks wouldn't deal with the same type of discrimination, laughs, smears, comments, etc.

Of course that doesn't mean cis folks are free from hardships or discrimination. Clearly we will have race issues, misogyny, ageism, weight issues, looks, handicaps, etc.

Of course that doesn't mean cis folks are free from hardships or discrimination. Clearly we will have race issues, misogyny, ageism, weight issues, looks, handicaps, etc.

I agree.

For example, if I, as a white male, failed to hold the door open for a brown person, they might wrongly assume that I'm racist. Wrongly assuming racism is a form of discrimination.

I do think that there is an important difference in the impact of discrimination when it is against a class that is in the majority or generally holds power in a culture.

Racism against white people isn't nearly as impactful as the reverse. It doesn't make it any better, but it is less meaningful.

Just curious what people think.

I personally do not see there being any kind of special privilege to being comfortable in your own skin.
    I don't acknowledge the term "cis-gendered". Therefore I don't see it as a form of privilege anymore than I see Festivus as a real holiday. That being said, I got a lotta problems with you people.

Well I believe you are pretty silly for believing that. :D
    And that doesn't surprise me one itty bitty bit.

The OP subject is like asking "do you believe that (insert any minority here) actually faces discrimination?"

And it's not actually asking for conversation or discussion, but asking for judgement purposes.

This is the answer

Trading Places is one of my favorite movies. Sometimes, I do wish we had a way to do a Trading Places style swap in our society. Discrimination and racism are some things that are really hard to convey. At least the volume and depth of it. Likewise, I often wonder how I would react having the privilege my white peers have. Like, how would I handle it, seriously? I feel it would create some much needed empathy for all of us.

Do right-handed people believe right handedness is a form of privilege

My mother is left handed and she will tell you that it is.

She still complains about how her home economics teacher was so mean to her in the early 1970s because she is left handed and all the sewing machines were set up for right handed people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom