Do you believe being Cis-gendered is a form of privilege? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Intensesaint

Reaction score
    Just curious what people think.

I personally do not see there being any kind of special privilege to being comfortable in your own skin.

How do you know that? My first response and, really, basis for subsequent responses came fro samiam's partial definition. There really has not been much defining in the thread - certainly not by the original post.

Beyond that, though - do you think discussions of scientific concepts should be based on pop cultural meanings ascribed to them?

Our exchange started when you quoted me, where I thought I was pretty clear that by privilege I meant an attribute that gave someone an advantage. If I wasn't then that's my fault.

Beyond that, I wasn't aware that privilege was a scientific concept. From what I can gather, it gained something of a popular connotation in 1988 with a paper written by Peggy McIntosh who listed 46 advantages that men and white people had that women and non-whites didn't.

Our exchange started when you quoted me, where I thought I was pretty clear that by privilege I meant an attribute that gave someone an advantage. If I wasn't then that's my fault.

Beyond that, I wasn't aware that privilege was a scientific concept. From what I can gather, it gained something of a popular connotation in 1988 with a paper written by Peggy McIntosh who listed 46 advantages that men and white people had that women and non-whites didn't.
    I have known it only as a concept used by social scientists, particularly those concerned with sociology and psychology and also used a great deal by legal scholars and an educators. Maybe it has had a more robust life as a concept/term used in less academic forms, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom