Cuba

Users who are viewing this thread

    superchuck500

    U.S. Blues
    Joined
    Mar 26, 2019
    Messages
    7,923
    Reaction score
    19,373
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Offline
    Trump's Cuba policy and the reactions to it have been quietly simmering for some time now, but things seem to be accelerating. But in typical Trump fashion, it isn't clear what the administration's objective is.

    - January 2025- Trump back in office and announces new package of sanctions against Cuba.
    - July 2025 - Trump enhances the Cuba travel ban with heightened enforcement.
    - January 29/30, 2026 - Trump announces embargo of Cuba that includes maritime military enforcement that aims to end all oil imports to Cuba. Of course, this is existential for Cuba, as it relies heavily (>60%) on oil imports for its energy. In particular, Trump's removal of Venezuela as a source of oil for Cuba has been a key factor.

    Since the new "maximum pressure" plan with the embargo, Cuba has complained to the UN and Russia has been attempting (perhaps successfully) to circumvent the embargo. Trump has announced various pressures and retaliations (mostly tariffs) to countries that supply Cuba. But also in February, the Trump administration announced a relief package to Cuba (food and supplies) to be distributed through NGOs, not the Cuban government.

    In the past few days:
    - Cuba's oil supplies are very low
    - Russian tankers may be attempting to supply Cuba.
    - Canada has announced it will be coming with an aid package (appears to not include oil) - and it did not consult the US about this at all.
    - Mexico (another key supplier to Cuba) appears caught in the US pressure campaign

    Oh and also, Cuba today fired up and killed four people in a USA-registered speed boat that violated restricted space



    1772051468915.png
     
    Last edited:
    No the money goes into an account in the middle east which only Trump can access. So what you posted is a lie!
    “Venezuela oil sales top $1 billion, funds won’t go to Qatar account anymore, Energy secretary says”

    “Wright said the U.S. deposited the initial sales in Qatar because the funds face the risk of Venezuela’s creditors attempting to claim them. Caracas faces tens of billions of dollars in outstanding claims from defaulting on its sovereign debt and nationalizing the assets of oil companies like Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips.

    “Since Venezuela has so many creditors and they owe a lot of money, we had some risk if we put it into a U.S. bank account set up quickly that creditors could freeze that money,” Wright said. “We want those creditors ultimately to get their money back, but that money urgently needs to get to Venezuela.”


    “WASHINGTON, Feb 3 (Reuters) - The United States has now returned to the Venezuelan government all $500 million from the initial sale of oil that was part of a deal reached between Caracas and Washington last month, a U.S. official said on Tuesday.
    The last $200 million from the sale has been sent to Venezuela, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The deal came about after Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was captured in a U.S. military operation on January 3.

    "Venezuela has officially received all $500 million from the first Venezuelan oil sale," the official said.
    The official added that the money is to be "disbursed for the benefit of the Venezuelan people at the discretion of the U.S. government."
    Last week during testimony on Capitol Hill, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said U.S. involvement in the sale of Venezuelan oil was a short-term effort aimed at stabilizing the country, keeping the government afloat and helping the people.

    So in essence, we allowed Venezuela to use their own oil to generate revenue to pay teachers and firefighters and police officers and keep the function of government operating so we didn’t have systemic collapse," he said.
    The funds had been held in Qatar and intended as a "temporary, short-term account to ensure Venezuela received the funds needed to operate," the U.S. official said.
    The official added that the long-term goal for future sales is to move the proceeds "into a fund located in the U.S. and to authorize expenditures for any obligation or expense of the government of Venezuela or its agencies and instrumentalities upon instructions that are consistent with agreed upon procedures."

     
    “Venezuela oil sales top $1 billion, funds won’t go to Qatar account anymore, Energy secretary says”

    “Wright said the U.S. deposited the initial sales in Qatar because the funds face the risk of Venezuela’s creditors attempting to claim them. Caracas faces tens of billions of dollars in outstanding claims from defaulting on its sovereign debt and nationalizing the assets of oil companies like Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips.

    “Since Venezuela has so many creditors and they owe a lot of money, we had some risk if we put it into a U.S. bank account set up quickly that creditors could freeze that money,” Wright said. “We want those creditors ultimately to get their money back, but that money urgently needs to get to Venezuela.”


    “WASHINGTON, Feb 3 (Reuters) - The United States has now returned to the Venezuelan government all $500 million from the initial sale of oil that was part of a deal reached between Caracas and Washington last month, a U.S. official said on Tuesday.
    The last $200 million from the sale has been sent to Venezuela, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The deal came about after Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was captured in a U.S. military operation on January 3.

    "Venezuela has officially received all $500 million from the first Venezuelan oil sale," the official said.
    The official added that the money is to be "disbursed for the benefit of the Venezuelan people at the discretion of the U.S. government."
    Last week during testimony on Capitol Hill, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said U.S. involvement in the sale of Venezuelan oil was a short-term effort aimed at stabilizing the country, keeping the government afloat and helping the people.

    So in essence, we allowed Venezuela to use their own oil to generate revenue to pay teachers and firefighters and police officers and keep the function of government operating so we didn’t have systemic collapse," he said.
    The funds had been held in Qatar and intended as a "temporary, short-term account to ensure Venezuela received the funds needed to operate," the U.S. official said.
    The official added that the long-term goal for future sales is to move the proceeds "into a fund located in the U.S. and to authorize expenditures for any obligation or expense of the government of Venezuela or its agencies and instrumentalities upon instructions that are consistent with agreed upon procedures."


    And what happened to the other 500 million? The article mentions 1 billion sold currently and and only future sales going to accounts in the US. So what happened to the missing 500 million?
     
    And what happened to the other 500 million? The article mentions 1 billion sold currently and and only future sales going to accounts in the US. So what happened to the missing 500 million?
    It’s being doled out over time.

    With the money targeted to benefit the Venezuelan people.
     
    “Venezuela oil sales top $1 billion, funds won’t go to Qatar account anymore, Energy secretary says”

    “Wright said the U.S. deposited the initial sales in Qatar because the funds face the risk of Venezuela’s creditors attempting to claim them. Caracas faces tens of billions of dollars in outstanding claims from defaulting on its sovereign debt and nationalizing the assets of oil companies like Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips.

    “Since Venezuela has so many creditors and they owe a lot of money, we had some risk if we put it into a U.S. bank account set up quickly that creditors could freeze that money,” Wright said. “We want those creditors ultimately to get their money back, but that money urgently needs to get to Venezuela.”


    “WASHINGTON, Feb 3 (Reuters) - The United States has now returned to the Venezuelan government all $500 million from the initial sale of oil that was part of a deal reached between Caracas and Washington last month, a U.S. official said on Tuesday.
    The last $200 million from the sale has been sent to Venezuela, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The deal came about after Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was captured in a U.S. military operation on January 3.

    "Venezuela has officially received all $500 million from the first Venezuelan oil sale," the official said.
    The official added that the money is to be "disbursed for the benefit of the Venezuelan people at the discretion of the U.S. government."
    Last week during testimony on Capitol Hill, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said U.S. involvement in the sale of Venezuelan oil was a short-term effort aimed at stabilizing the country, keeping the government afloat and helping the people.

    So in essence, we allowed Venezuela to use their own oil to generate revenue to pay teachers and firefighters and police officers and keep the function of government operating so we didn’t have systemic collapse," he said.
    The funds had been held in Qatar and intended as a "temporary, short-term account to ensure Venezuela received the funds needed to operate," the U.S. official said.
    The official added that the long-term goal for future sales is to move the proceeds "into a fund located in the U.S. and to authorize expenditures for any obligation or expense of the government of Venezuela or its agencies and instrumentalities upon instructions that are consistent with agreed upon procedures."

    This relies on the say-so of this administration. Which doesn’t inspire trust. I will believe it when I see it verified from an independent source. This administration has earned extreme skepticism for anything they say they are doing.
     
    So this supposedly happened in February, what projects have actually been done? Where has the money been spent? This administration is amazingly opaque about money. They have zero accountability when they do stuff like this.

    It should be easy to disclose who got the money in Venezuela and what they did with it.
     
    It’s being doled out over time.

    With the money targeted to benefit the Venezuelan people.
    You had the nerve to say something to me - which was something I never even said - about believing what the Cuban government was or could be doing, and here you are parroting this US administration as if they can be trusted.

    We still have no proof of anything being done with the money from the oil that was seized.
     
    Well this is comforting. Also I read due to the fuel blockade theres a lot of power outages, and because of that a lot of people are dying in hospitals, which is pretty forking sad
    "We have been very, very successful. You know, when I went into Venezuela...I built this great military, I said, you'll never have to use it, but sometimes you have to use it," Trump said, before adding, "And Cuba's next, by the way, but pretend I didn't say that please."
     
    “Venezuela oil sales top $1 billion, funds won’t go to Qatar account anymore, Energy secretary says”

    “Wright said the U.S. deposited the initial sales in Qatar because the funds face the risk of Venezuela’s creditors attempting to claim them. Caracas faces tens of billions of dollars in outstanding claims from defaulting on its sovereign debt and nationalizing the assets of oil companies like Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips.

    “Since Venezuela has so many creditors and they owe a lot of money, we had some risk if we put it into a U.S. bank account set up quickly that creditors could freeze that money,” Wright said. “We want those creditors ultimately to get their money back, but that money urgently needs to get to Venezuela.”

    [
    sure tump is good at giving money back he is famous for it.
     
    A Russian tanker is believed to be bound for Cuba - testing Trump's resolve on the embargo.








    Test complete....




    Trump is a Russian asset.
     

    all the more reason to starve the Cubans, amirite?

    Or starving them is going to foment rebellion?

    whats the play here...because im pretty sure blocking any sort of supplies to Cuba isnt going to make the money held by the government re-distribute to the people.


    ( and the irony of that article isnt lost on me - the US is lamenting the fact that the Cuban government is "enriching themselves" LOL )
     
    all the more reason to starve the Cubans, amirite?

    Or starving them is going to foment rebellion?

    whats the play here...because im pretty sure blocking any sort of supplies to Cuba isnt going to make the money held by the government re-distribute to the people.


    ( and the irony of that article isnt lost on me - the US is lamenting the fact that the Cuban government is "enriching themselves" LOL )
    The ends justify the means. There’s really no other way to look at it.

    The US (and Sendai) has decided that civilian deaths are an acceptable result in their lust to take over Cuba. And for what? Are they going to help the Cuban people? Anyone who believes that is an idiot. This administration sees it as a real estate opportunity - nothing else. They want to have the Cuban people work in their resorts. They don’t want them to own anything. Nope that will be reserved for the Trumps and their oligarch friends.

    Both those Miami Herald articles are from January and their source for most of what they say is the US Administration. No new information at all in those articles.
     

    Create an account or login to comment

    You must be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create account

    Create an account on our community. It's easy!

    Log in

    Already have an account? Log in here.

    General News Feed

    Fact Checkers News Feed

    Back
    Top Bottom