Critical race theory (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

Sad article and just the beginning
    =========================

…….Finally, on Feb. 8, 2022, at 4:05 p.m., Wickenkamp scored a Zoom meeting with Superintendent Laurie Noll. He asked the question he felt lay at the heart of critiques of his curriculum.

“Knowing that I should stick to the facts, and knowing that to say ‘Slavery was wrong,’ that’s not a fact, that’s a stance,” Wickenkamp said, “is it acceptable for me to teach students that slavery was wrong?”

Noll nodded her head, affirming that saying “slavery was wrong” counts as a “stance.”

“We had people that were slaves within our state,” Noll said, according to a video of the meeting obtained by The Post. “We’re not supposed to say to [students], ‘How does that make you feel?’ We can’t — or, ‘Does that make you feel bad?’ We’re not to do that part of it.”

She continued: “To say ‘Is slavery wrong?’ — I really need to delve into it to see is that part of what we can or cannot say. And I don’t know that, Greg, because I just don’t have that. So I need to know more on that side.”

As Wickenkamp raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips, she added, “I’m sorry, on that part.”
    Wickenkamp left the Zoom call. At the close of the year, he left the teaching profession……

……The teacher, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of harassment, directed children to the first chapter of Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States,” titled “Columbus, the Indians, and Human Progress.”

Throughout the chapter, students encountered paragraphs taken from the explorer’s journal in which Columbus delineated his views of, and interactions with, the Native peoples of America.

“As soon as I arrived in the Indies, on the first Island which I found, I took some of the natives by force,” Columbus wrote in October 1492, in a slice of the journal quoted by Zinn. “They would make fine servants. … With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want,” he also wrote.

But last school year, when the North Carolina teacher tried to give this lesson to her sophomore honors world history class, a parent wrote an email complaining that her White son had been made to feel guilty.

The teacher recalled replying by asking, “Why would your child feel guilty about what Columbus did to the Arawak?”

The parents of the student escalated the issue to human resources, the teacher said, spurring an administrator to warn that she needed to stop “pushing my agenda — telling me that having my children learn the truth about Columbus was biased.”

Soon after, she said, New Hanover County Schools placed an admonitory letter in the teacher’s file and ordered her to halt the lesson on Columbus……

The assistant principal never offered a reason for her objections. But earlier that academic year, the same person had objected to a teacher’s proposed assignment of an essay on toxic masculinity by writing in an email, reviewed by The Post, that educators should “bring in articles of empathy and compassion rather than something that could negatively trigger our students.”

In 2021, Bryant Public Schools overhauled its middle and high school English curriculums to eliminate books including Anne Frank’s “The Diary of a Young Girl,” with officials citing a need for more rigorous texts and tales that were not “overly dark and heavy.”………

So this happened
    ==============

Studies Weekly, whose curriculum reaches 45,000 schools across the country, went to extreme lengths to cater to Ron DeSantis’ hellish vision of Florida. In an effort to protect its sales, the publisher removed references to race, including the history of Rosa Parks, from its social studies material, the New York Times reports.

The crude update follows a push by the Florida governor to place a widespread ban on the teaching of topics deemed related to Critical Race Theory (CRT), and the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Although a judge recently denied a request from Florida’s government to block an injunction against DeSantis’ “Stop-Woke” act in the state’s public colleges, DeSantis’ administration rejected dozens of math books—claiming some contained CRT. In January, Florida blocked the College Board from testing a pilot Advanced Placement African American Studies (APAAS).

In the lesson by Studies Weekly used in elementary schools today, segregation is clearly defined: “The law said African Americans had to give up their seats on the bus if a white person wanted to sit down.” But in the initial version created for Florida’s review, the lesson reads: “She was told to move to a different seat because of the color of her skin.” And in the second updated version, race is removed completely: “She was told to move to a different seat.”

While NYT reports that it’s unclear which of the alternate versions were submitted for state review, the second update—which includes no mention of race—was posted on the publisher’s website until last week.

The company also made “similar changes to a fourth-grade lesson about segregation laws that arose after the Civil War,” according to the report. While the initial version for the textbook review refers to African Americans and explains how they were impacted by Jim Crow, the second version deletes mentions of race. In the second update, it simply states that it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.................

So this happened
    ==============

Studies Weekly, whose curriculum reaches 45,000 schools across the country, went to extreme lengths to cater to Ron DeSantis’ hellish vision of Florida. In an effort to protect its sales, the publisher removed references to race, including the history of Rosa Parks, from its social studies material, the New York Times reports.

The crude update follows a push by the Florida governor to place a widespread ban on the teaching of topics deemed related to Critical Race Theory (CRT), and the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Although a judge recently denied a request from Florida’s government to block an injunction against DeSantis’ “Stop-Woke” act in the state’s public colleges, DeSantis’ administration rejected dozens of math books—claiming some contained CRT. In January, Florida blocked the College Board from testing a pilot Advanced Placement African American Studies (APAAS).

In the lesson by Studies Weekly used in elementary schools today, segregation is clearly defined: “The law said African Americans had to give up their seats on the bus if a white person wanted to sit down.” But in the initial version created for Florida’s review, the lesson reads: “She was told to move to a different seat because of the color of her skin.” And in the second updated version, race is removed completely: “She was told to move to a different seat.”

While NYT reports that it’s unclear which of the alternate versions were submitted for state review, the second update—which includes no mention of race—was posted on the publisher’s website until last week.

The company also made “similar changes to a fourth-grade lesson about segregation laws that arose after the Civil War,” according to the report. While the initial version for the textbook review refers to African Americans and explains how they were impacted by Jim Crow, the second version deletes mentions of race. In the second update, it simply states that it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.................

and THAT is exactly what they want. They know that there is no CRT being taught in schools, but they can't say "We want to eliminate black history from our textbooks." So, they say "We don't want teachers making students feel guilty for being white," knowing that will lead to publishers removing ANY references to black people in their history books.

American Girl Historical Books Banned in Florida Schools​

Welp, here's a headline I thought I'd never have to type a year or two ago. In Florida, there's been an insane crackdown on books available in school and classroom libraries. It all started with a ban on LGBTQ+ discussions in schools, then it devolved into a ban on AP African American studies, and now, a lot of books dealing with historical and social issues are being banned from Florida schools.

These, according to sources from teachers on Twitter and TikTok, include the American Girl historical series with the exception of Felicity and Molly.

These bans run the gamult from discussions of slavery in Addy's books to even discussions of anti-Italian xenephobia and polio in Maryellen's books. Yeah... it's bad.

I don't really like to talk politics on here unless it involves AG or human rights on behalf of marginalized communities, but this isn't politics. This is censorship.

Outside of AG, I'm a dystopian screenwriter, and this is really giving off major dystopian vibes. But it's not contained to any screenplay- it's in reality. I am sending all my love to Floridian students affected by this governor's abysmal decisions that are only fueled by hate and fear, and I hope that you guys will be able to fight this awful change.

To quote the Melody movie, "Fear brings out the worst in us. But love brings out the best." ..............

995AFA3A-5AF5-4950-A796-A19277CBDA17.jpeg

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s Republican-controlled House passed a previously vetoed proposal Wednesday to restrict how teachers can discuss certain racial topics that some lawmakers have equated to “ critical race theory.”

The House voted 68-49 along party lines for legislation banning public school teachers from compelling students to believe they should feel guilty or responsible for past actions committed by people of the same race or sex.

United in their opposition, House Democrats challenged Republican claims that the bill would reduce discrimination and argued that a comprehensive history education should make students uncomfortable.

Republican seat gains in the midterm elections give them greater leverage this year to override any veto by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, who successfully blocked a similar proposal in 2021 and urged legislators this month in his State of the State address, "Don't make teachers re-write history.” But Republicans, who are one seat short in the House of a veto-proof supermajority, will likely need some Democratic support for the measure to become law.

North Carolina is among 10 states currently considering such proposals, according to an Education Week analysis. Eighteen others have already limited how teachers can discuss racism and sexism in the classroom.............

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s Republican-controlled House passed a previously vetoed proposal Wednesday to restrict how teachers can discuss certain racial topics that some lawmakers have equated to “ critical race theory.”

The House voted 68-49 along party lines for legislation banning public school teachers from compelling students to believe they should feel guilty or responsible for past actions committed by people of the same race or sex.

United in their opposition, House Democrats challenged Republican claims that the bill would reduce discrimination and argued that a comprehensive history education should make students uncomfortable.

Republican seat gains in the midterm elections give them greater leverage this year to override any veto by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, who successfully blocked a similar proposal in 2021 and urged legislators this month in his State of the State address, "Don't make teachers re-write history.” But Republicans, who are one seat short in the House of a veto-proof supermajority, will likely need some Democratic support for the measure to become law.

North Carolina is among 10 states currently considering such proposals, according to an Education Week analysis. Eighteen others have already limited how teachers can discuss racism and sexism in the classroom.............

One more step in the “Lost Cause” myth.

It seems that the national conversation surrounding critical race theory won’t end until it’s banned from every school, or they silence everyone that thinks to bring it up.

On Wednesday, the Temecula Valley Unified School District organized a critical race theory workshop in California. A Black man who shared his thoughts with the district’s board was asked to be removed even though a white woman told him he should “leave the country.”

The workshop was organized by Temecula Valley Unified School District Trustee Jen Wiersma, who recently voiced her thoughts on CRT, saying that the “curriculum” makes white people feel guilty about their ancestry and that Black people should be the ones to blame for their enslavement in actuality.

Don’t believe me? Watch the clip below:

.........Deon, a Black man who attended the workshop, decided to speak up during the event, to share his dismay with the board’s decision to ban CRT, when it’s not even taught in their classrooms.

He told the panel, “It is widely recognized by the vast majority of experts that bringing CRT into the K to 12 classrooms is just as outlandish as bringing calculus to the first-grade classroom.”

He continued, “It is asinine to ban CRT when it isn’t even taught in any K through 12 classrooms in the United States of America. Your continued blatant, willful ignorance of the Black experience in this country is not only shameful but also detrimental to the education and growth of our children.”............

It seems that the national conversation surrounding critical race theory won’t end until it’s banned from every school, or they silence everyone that thinks to bring it up.

On Wednesday, the Temecula Valley Unified School District organized a critical race theory workshop in California. A Black man who shared his thoughts with the district’s board was asked to be removed even though a white woman told him he should “leave the country.”

The workshop was organized by Temecula Valley Unified School District Trustee Jen Wiersma, who recently voiced her thoughts on CRT, saying that the “curriculum” makes white people feel guilty about their ancestry and that Black people should be the ones to blame for their enslavement in actuality.

.........Deon, a Black man who attended the workshop, decided to speak up during the event, to share his dismay with the board’s decision to ban CRT, when it’s not even taught in their classrooms.

He told the panel, “It is widely recognized by the vast majority of experts that bringing CRT into the K to 12 classrooms is just as outlandish as bringing calculus to the first-grade classroom.”

He continued, “It is asinine to ban CRT when it isn’t even taught in any K through 12 classrooms in the United States of America. Your continued blatant, willful ignorance of the Black experience in this country is not only shameful but also detrimental to the education and growth of our children.”............

Wow. That is stunning.

PARENTAL RIGHTS! PARENTAL RIGHTS! .... except if it's a black man.

Better to throw him out and silence him. Can't make the white children feel bad.

The Disney movie “Ruby Bridges,” which tells the tale of a 6-year-old who integrated New Orleans schools in the 1960s, has been a staple of Pinellas County Black History Month lessons for years.

It never caused a stir until this year, as parents across Florida exert increased powers to question what children can see and read in schools.

A North Shore Elementary parent who would not allow her child to watch the film in early March later complained that it wasn’t appropriate for second graders. In a formal challenge dated March 6, Emily Conklin wrote that the use of racial slurs and scenes of white people threatening Ruby as she entered a school might result in students learning that white people hate Black people.

Pinellas school officials responded by removing the movie from use by all students at the St. Petersburg school until a review committee can assess it — a step that is drawing strong opposition

A countywide group that represents the interests of Black children in Pinellas public schools has sent an open letter to the community questioning why one parent’s complaint resulted in actions that affect all families at the school.

Many from historically marginalized communities are asking whether this so-called integrated education system in Pinellas County can even serve the diverse community fairly and equitably,wrote Ric Davis, president of Concerned Organization for Quality Education for Black Students. The group has been active for years, often working with school district officials and at times battling them in court.

The controversy follows a heated dispute earlier this year over the banning of Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye” from all district high schools after one parent complained about a two-page rape scene. District officials cited new state law and a rule telling them to “err on the side of caution” when considering whether books should be used in classrooms and libraries...............

The Disney movie “Ruby Bridges,” which tells the tale of a 6-year-old who integrated New Orleans schools in the 1960s, has been a staple of Pinellas County Black History Month lessons for years.

It never caused a stir until this year, as parents across Florida exert increased powers to question what children can see and read in schools.

A North Shore Elementary parent who would not allow her child to watch the film in early March later complained that it wasn’t appropriate for second graders. In a formal challenge dated March 6, Emily Conklin wrote that the use of racial slurs and scenes of white people threatening Ruby as she entered a school might result in students learning that white people hate Black people.

Pinellas school officials responded by removing the movie from use by all students at the St. Petersburg school until a review committee can assess it — a step that is drawing strong opposition

A countywide group that represents the interests of Black children in Pinellas public schools has sent an open letter to the community questioning why one parent’s complaint resulted in actions that affect all families at the school.

Many from historically marginalized communities are asking whether this so-called integrated education system in Pinellas County can even serve the diverse community fairly and equitably,wrote Ric Davis, president of Concerned Organization for Quality Education for Black Students. The group has been active for years, often working with school district officials and at times battling them in court.

The controversy follows a heated dispute earlier this year over the banning of Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye” from all district high schools after one parent complained about a two-page rape scene. District officials cited new state law and a rule telling them to “err on the side of caution” when considering whether books should be used in classrooms and libraries...............

People are stupid. It's pretty simple. If the parent doesn't want their kid to watch it, then they can just sit out of that class that day. Let everyone else watch it.

People are stupid. It's pretty simple. If the parent doesn't want their kid to watch it, then they can just sit out of that class that day. Let everyone else watch it.
    then it becomes a situation where the kid is the only one whose mom won't let him see the movie because he might cry and becomes a social pariah for the rest of the school year (or schooling life)

Much better to pull the whole thing

I'm also amazed how often it just one or 2 complaints that leads to things like this

then it becomes a situation where the kid is the only one whose mom won't let him see the movie because he might cry and becomes a social pariah for the rest of the school year (or schooling life)

Much better to pull the whole thing

I'm also amazed how often it just one or 2 complaints that leads to things like this
    Well, he shouldn't become a pariah because his parents won't let him see a given presentation. But that's on the parents, not the school. The school's job is to teach. It's the parents' job to parent regardless what we think about parenting methods.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom