Civil War 2? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Optimus Prime

Reaction score
    Very sobering article
    ================
    If you know people still in denial about the crisis of American democracy, kindly remove their heads from the sand long enough to receive this message: A startling new finding by one of the nation’s top authorities on foreign civil wars says we are on the cusp of our own.

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professorat the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence.

By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes.

But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely.

And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800.

“We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”…….

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month.

“The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said.

And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively……

Do you support a 3rd party helping children 'run away' from their parents if they are not 'supportive' of a kids wishes to be another sex or be gay?

Of course I support that. I'm Hispanic, gay and vote Democrat ... I'm evil.

I love when you throw out these random, irrelevant questions that have nothing to do with the conversation.

All of that long post and it seems all you want is from me to defend team Trump? No thanks. Not a Trump fan. Most conservatives are not either.

Right... and that's why he has complete control over the GOP because most conservatives don't like
    him?

That is the alternate reality the left has concocted. This is saying that all Ds are 'the squad' fan boys.

To be honest, one side thinks men can become women and one doesn't. That kind of sums up everything for me.

Thinking women can become men is no more objectively absurd than a belief in angels. In any event, neither of the latter is as detrimental to this country than the current election lies embraced by the right writ large.

Of course I support that. I'm Hispanic, gay and vote Democrat ... I'm evil.

I love when you throw out these random, irrelevant questions that have nothing to do with the conversation.
    You replied that this was another conspiracy theory, so it was a fair question.

But your answer does check out. Not for nothing, but those 3 things you listed does not make someone evil. I know a few people that are all of those things and they are far from evil. Actions make one evil, not their skin, who they are sexually attracted too or who they vote for.

Right... and that's why he has complete control over the GOP because most conservatives don't like
    him?

Thinking women can become men is no more objectively absurd than a belief in angels. In any event, neither of the latter is as detrimental to this country than the current election lies embraced by the right writ large.
    I don't deny there are those that love Trump. There are those that love Hillary. As I have explained before, MAGA is not Trump. Those two things are seperateable. That being said, would I vote for Trump over any D at this point. Yes. All the time, but that says more about the wacky state of the DNC than about Trump.

Do you see anyone trying to convince kids that they can become Angles by untested drugs and non reversible medical procedures to put wings on their backs? Do you see the public educational system fighting to have pedo priests come for story hour? I think that is indicative of the current state of the DNC and that is one of the many reasons the DNC is losing voters especially in minorities.

I know a few people that are all of those things and they are far from evil. Actions make one evil, not their skin, who they are sexually attracted too or who they vote for.
    Interesting. So being gay is not evil. Does having gay sex make you evil? Does being trans make you evil?

That being said, would I vote for Trump over any D at this point. Yes. All the time, but that says more about the wacky state of the DNC than about Trump.

It says more about you than the wacky DNC or Trump.

It says more about you than the wacky DNC or Trump.
    I agree. It says that I am a conservative. Just like you voting for anyone over Trump means you are a lefty. Not sure of your point.

You replied that this was another conspiracy theory, so it was a fair question.

I mean, it probably is. I didn't really care enough to look at the link, but it's the Daily Wire. Regardless, gay and trans kids run away (or more often kicked out) from conservative households. That has been a reality for a long time. That there are people that want to support and help those kids isn't wrong or evil. Until recently, conservatives could care less about those kids. Now that it's politically expedient, they've found it in their hearts to care, I guess.

But your answer does check out. Not for nothing, but those 3 things you listed does not make someone evil. I know a few people that are all of those things and they are far from evil. Actions make one evil, not their skin, who they are sexually attracted too or who they vote for.

I mostly agree, except for voting. Voting is an action. So if you're voting for somebody who's actions are evil, you're at the very least complicit. Much like Germans who voted for the Hitler and the Nazi party were complicit in the evil they wrought.

I don't deny there are those that love Trump. There are those that love Hillary. As I have explained before, MAGA is not Trump. Those two things are seperateable. That being said, would I vote for Trump over any D at this point. Yes. All the time, but that says more about the wacky state of the DNC than about Trump.

Do you see anyone trying to convince kids that they can become Angles by untested drugs and non reversible medical procedures to put wings on their backs? Do you see the public educational system fighting to have pedo priests come for story hour? I think that is indicative of the current state of the DNC and that is one of the many reasons the DNC is losing voters especially in minorities.

He coined the phrase. He is the leader of the MAGA wing of the party- hell, he's seen as the leader of the entire party, period.

I mean, it probably is. I didn't really care enough to look at the link, but it's the Daily Wire. Regardless, gay and trans kids run away (or more often kicked out) from conservative households. That has been a reality for a long time. That there are people that want to support and help those kids isn't wrong or evil. Until recently, conservatives could care less about those kids. Now that it's politically expedient, they've found it in their hearts to care, I guess.

I mostly agree, except for voting. Voting is an action. So if you're voting for somebody who's actions are evil, you're at the very least complicit. Much like Germans who voted for the Hitler and the Nazi party were complicit in the evil they wrought.
    You don't think conservatives have cared about child abuse in the past? That is an odd take. Remember, you all didn't think it was happening, so up until about 4 years ago, the conservatives 'couldn't care about those kids' because no one knew what was happening.

You guys need to learn another time period. The whole 'nazi' and
    facist' thing is over played. No one cares about those words anymore. Much like racist and bigot.

I would agree with you on your voting point.

You don't think conservatives have cared about child abuse in the past? That is an odd take. Remember, you all didn't think it was happening, so up until about 4 years ago, the conservatives 'couldn't care about those kids' because no one knew what was happening.

I don't know what you're referring too. Child abuse? You mean the child abuse of conservative parents throwing their lgbtq kids out? Who is "you all"? What happened 4 years ago? Not everybody speaks in your shorthand.

You guys need to learn another time period. The whole 'nazi' and
    facist' thing is over played.
    Calm down, I was just using an obvious example.

No one cares about those words anymore. Much like racist and bigot.

You mean no one on the right. Of course, that's the only thing that matters.

I would agree with you on your voting point.

See, that's all you had to say. The rest was exceedingly unnecessary.

I don't know what you're referring too. Child abuse? You mean the child abuse of conservative parents throwing their lgbtq kids out? Who is "you all"? What happened 4 years ago? Not everybody speaks in your shorthand.

Calm down, I was just using an obvious example.

You mean no one on the right. Of course, that's the only thing that matters.

See, that's all you had to say. The rest was exceedingly unnecessary.
    I consider loping off healthy breast of a mental confused girl, and the confusion stoked by rabid left ideologues in schools, to be child abuse.

You guys (the left also interchangeable with ya'll and you all in conversations) throw those words around where they don't fit so you all can't care that much about the actual meaning. I consider it to mean someone you all don't agree with their view point. Nazi and Fascist are just another term for Karen now.

I consider loping off healthy breast of a mental confused girl, and the confusion stoked by rabid left ideologues in schools, to be child abuse.

You guys (the left also interchangeable with ya'll and you all in conversations) throw those words around where they don't fit so you all can't care that much about the actual meaning. I consider it to mean someone you all don't agree with their view point. Nazi and Fascist are just another term for Karen now.

This is dumb.

You really need to take a break from your crusade.

To the left. Yes. To the conservatives, no.

Might wanna tell your fellow Republicans this bit of news, because they haven't heard it yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom