Chauvin Murder Trial and fall out(Guilty on all counts) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nebaghead

Reaction score
    Verdict will be read 330 CST. Can post here with updates or thoughts.

We definitely don't treat cops better than veterans, and the notion that this case could end in acquittal was a media narrative to keep people engaged. Cops get convicted regularly, especially when the evidence is this strong. A hung jury was a possibility, but acquittal was almost impossible.

I have some empathy for people that have been or know people that have been abused, because I've been abused myself over 30 years ago after I made some snide remarks due to their overreaction during a stop, but my remarks didn't justify their subsequent actions. I filed a complaint, and was interviewed subsequently, but I never followed up to see if he got punished in any way, so I think he got off without punishment for yanking me down by my hair. I'm Hispanic and look it, though many think I'm Italian, and it was a blond cop, so it may have been racist, nevertheless, I think the media hypes it more than it really happens. I think in most cases the cops are justified in their actions. Even in my case, they were on high alert since the president was in the area, and that type of tension can sometimes result in them taking things too far, but I think that is less frequent than the media portrays. I support more accountability, and I think body cams and the culture are reducing misbehavior. Had they been in existence when the cop threatened to blow my head off and yanked me to the ground, that cop may have lost his job. Still, I believe the system is full of people with good intentions. We always need to work to keep culling the garbage, but I've met many cops and had about a dozen encounters with cops over the years, and none have ever treated me badly again. Those that I've become acquainted with are decent people, though some get a little jaded by their jobs. Cops have a tough job, and we don't thank them for their service enough. If they felt more appreciated, we might get better people serving.
    I don’t see many homeless cop signs on the side of the road. Just saying.
    Have you seen the suicide rates of vets?

Hard disagree. Ever watch the Daniel Shaver video?
    For every 10 convictions on a case as ironclad as the Chauvin case, you might get an acquittal. There are a ton of cases that don't make the news. There are former cops on death row. There are former cops in prison. Happens more frequently than it's made out to be in the media. The cases you're referencing are absolutely the exception, not the rule.

For every 10 convictions on a case as ironclad as the Chauvin case, you might get an acquittal. There are a ton of cases that don't make the news. There are former cops on death row. There are former cops in prison. Happens more frequently than it's made out to be in the media. The cases you're referencing are absolutely the exception, not the rule.
    List cops currently on death row. If it’s more than ten in the whole country I’ll eat my hat.

List cops currently on death row. If it’s more than ten in the whole country I’ll eat my hat.

I thought I read it somewhere. But I think what I read total number of cops convicted of murder, which is 23. One was put to death in 2012, and another ex-cop is currently on death row in Louisiana. But I didn't find much else.

After doing a little digging, you're right, I'll have to edit my posts.

Oof, won't left me edit my posts, since the edit button disappeared on those I made earlier. Not sure why it does that.

Last edited:
    There are only 36 people on death row over the next 4 years.

There are over 2200 on death row, but not scheduled.

But I think what I read total number of cops convicted of murder, which is 23.
    Let’s also be clear that these convictions aren’t necessarily tied to their interactions as police officers. Could be off duty, could be domestic violence.

So take that number and narrow it to how many have actually been convicted of murder from actions while in the line of duty.

And all of a sudden it’s very clear that, while the Chauvin case was obviously murder, conviction was anything but a slam dunk.

Yeah... I find this to be MMQB saying this verdict was ironclad and it was 100%. Ask many black people if they were convinced this case would return guilty EVEN WITH the overwhelming video proof. I mean, I’ve thought many other police should have been convicted or at least fired and time after time I've been proved wrong by the “justice” system. Juries heavily favor law enforcement defendants. The idea that one is silly or mislead to believe there could have been a different verdict is not based in reality.

Yeah... I find this to be MMQB saying this verdict was ironclad and it was 100%. Ask many black people if they were convinced this case would return guilty EVEN WITH the overwhelming video proof. I mean, I’ve thought many other police should have been convicted or at least fired and time after time I've been proved wrong by the “justice” system. Juries heavily favor law enforcement defendants. The idea that one is silly or mislead to believe there could have been a different verdict is not based in reality.

I was saying this before and during the trial, so no not MMQB. Now nothing is 100%, but this was about as close to a sure thing as you'll get in a trial.

I get that history hasn't been a good predictor for this verdict, but a lot of other cases, a cop could claim he thought a suspect was reaching for a gun or some confusing thing was going on, but here we had a cop literally choking the life out of a man who was not only unarmed, but subdued under the weight of 3 cops, and all on camera in broad daylight for the whole country to see.

I don't think it's silly at all to think there could have been a different verdict though. I get the apprehension people had going into the trial. It was understandable, but I just had a feeling this was going to be pretty decisive.

I am curious to see if he gets the maximum penalty, or close to it during the penalty phase.

I was saying this before and during the trial, so no not MMQB. Now nothing is 100%, but this was about as close to a sure thing as you'll get in a trial.

I get that history hasn't been a good predictor for this verdict, but a lot of other cases, a cop could claim he thought a suspect was reaching for a gun or some confusing thing was going on, but here we had a cop literally choking the life out of a man who was not only unarmed, but subdued under the weight of 3 cops, and all on camera in broad daylight for the whole country to see.

I don't think it's silly at all to think there could have been a different verdict though. I get the apprehension people had going into the trial. It was understandable, but I just had a feeling this was going to be pretty decisive.

I am curious to see if he gets the maximum penalty, or close to it during the penalty phase.

Highly unlikely he gets 40 years. 12 1/2 years is the recommended sentence for someone with no criminal history. Aggravating factors may add a few years to that. My guess is he'll get 15-20 years at most and probably won't serve more than 10-15 years. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets the minimum and gets out in about 8 years.

Highly unlikely he gets 40 years. 12 1/2 years is the recommended sentence for someone with no criminal history. Aggravating factors may add a few years to that. My guess is he'll get 15-20 years at most and probably won't serve more than 10-15 years. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets the minimum and gets out in about 8 years.

Oh I agree. I'd been thinking 15-20 is probably what he'd end up with, but with his checkered history of complaints with the department would be a consideration, I think. As much as I'd like to see him get the 40 years, 15-20 is probably where it's going to fall.

That said, maybe the judge will want to use this case to show that cops can't get away with punishment that doesn't fit the crime.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom