Capitol Riot arrests (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigdaddysaints

Reaction score
    Figured we should start a separate thread on the arrests and those involved in the storming of the Capitol. I know it has been talked about in the other thread a lot, but for the ones who just want to follow the ones arrested and/or charged, this will be an easier way to see updates on the investigations.

Link below is everyone who has been arrested. But we know there will be more.

The website seems to be updated with new information daily.

The ones who are getting the most air time:

Jake Angeli
    1610987626331.png

Adam Johnson
    1610987698358.png

Richard Barnett
    1610987768489.png

Kevin Seefried
    1610987811788.png

Eric Gavelek Munchel
    1610987942709.png

Larry R. Brock
    Lisa Eisenhart
    Robert Keith Packer
    Klete Keller
    Aaron Mostofsky
    Anthime Joseph Gionet
    Peter Francis Stager
    Christine Priola

What about the constant talk about an armed insurrection? The FBI didn't seize a single gun from the Capital and not a single Trump supporter fired a weapon.

What about how we now know that nobody brought zip ties in with them so they could kidnap someone? They found them on a desk or in a drawer in the Capitol.

There isn't any evidence that anyone intended to assassinate Romeny or Pence.

Who cares if the main narratives about the storming of the Capital weren't true right? It's not like the Democrats and the media were trying to exaggerate the threat to justify more laws for surveillance and censorship right?

Pointing out things that weren't true or were exaggerated doesn't mean that I'm denying that there wasn't any danger at all. What's wrong with discussing it truthfully and rationally?

Is mace or bear spray “arms”?

Try taking either on an airplane or into a courtroom.

Today, for nearly 20 minutes in the cavernous House chamber, a dozen members of the Congressional Black Caucus, joined by a few sympathizers, tried in vain to block the counting of Florida's 25 electoral votes, protesting that black voters had been disenfranchised. Florida's highly contested electoral votes were crucial in Mr. Bush's victory after a prolonged legal and political battle following an inconclusive election.
    Over Some Objections, Congress Certifies Electoral Vote https://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/us/over-some-objections-congress-certifies-electoral-vote.html

Today, for nearly 20 minutes in the cavernous House chamber, a dozen members of the Congressional Black Caucus, joined by a few sympathizers, tried in vain to block the counting of Florida's 25 electoral votes, protesting that black voters had been disenfranchised. Florida's highly contested electoral votes were crucial in Mr. Bush's victory after a prolonged legal and political battle following an inconclusive election.
    Over Some Objections, Congress Certifies Electoral Vote https://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/us/over-some-objections-congress-certifies-electoral-vote.html

Did Al Gore whip up the black panthers at a rally across the street before the vote?

Did Al Gore whip up the black panthers at a rally across the street before the vote?
    Did DaveXA's friend do something similar to that because that's what I'm talking about. Trying to link someone who went the the protest, which I think is stupid but legal, to automatically be an insurrectionist. He didn't storm the capital or commit any violence. Explain to me how that qualifies as being an insurrectionist.

Here's another article that illustrates what I've been talking about. While the storming of the Capital was a very bad thing and whoever committed violence or clearly committed a crime should be prosecuted. But that shouldn't prevent an honest and rational discussion based on the facts. I know this will be misconstrued as "he's defending the terrorists."

A POLITICO analysis of the Capitol riot-related cases shows that almost a quarter of the more than 230 defendants formally and publicly charged so far face only misdemeanors. Dozens of those arrested are awaiting formal charges, even as new cases are being unsealed nearly every day.

In recent days, judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys have all indicated that they expect few of these “MAGA tourists” to face harsh sentences.
    There are two main reasons: Although prosecutors have loaded up their charging documents with language about the existential threat of the insurrection to the republic, the actions of many of the individual rioters often boiled down to trespassing. And judges have wrestled with how aggressively to lump those cases in with those of the more sinister suspects.

“My bet is a lot of these cases will get resolved and probably without prison time or jail time,” said Erica Hashimoto, a former federal public defender who is now a law professor at Georgetown. "One of the core values of this country is that we can protest if we disagree with our government. Of course, some protests involve criminal acts, but as long as the people who are trying to express their view do not engage in violence, misdemeanors may be more appropriate than felonies.”

The prospect of dozens of Jan. 6 rioters cutting deals for minor sentences could be hard to explain for the Biden administration, which has characterized the Capitol Hill mob as a uniquely dangerous threat. Before assuming office, Biden said the rioters’ attempt to overturn the election results by force “borders on sedition”; Attorney General Merrick Garland has called the prosecutions his top early priority, describing the storming of Congress as “a heinous attack that sought to disrupt a cornerstone of our democracy, the peaceful transfer of power to a newly elected government.”

Justice Department prosecutors sent expectations sky-high in early statements and court filings, describing elaborate plots to murder lawmakers — descriptions prosecutors have tempered as new details emerged.

...Judges are also attempting to reckon with separating the individual actions of rioters from the collective threat of the mob, which they have noted helped inspire and provide cover for violent assaults, property destruction and increased the overall terror and danger of the assorted crimes committed.

That reckoning is coming sooner rather than later, lawyers say, putting prosecutors in the position of wrist-slapping many participants in the riot despite framing the crimes as part of an insurrection that presented a grave threat to American democracy.

...And prosecutors are facing pressure from judges to either back up their tough talk about sedition or put a lid on it. Michael Sherwin, the former lead Jan. 6 prosecutor, found himself rebuked by other senior prosecutors and Judge Amit Mehta last week for publicly flirting with the possibility of sedition charges when none had actually been leveled.

Did DaveXA's friend do something similar to that because that's what I'm talking about. Trying to link someone who went the the protest, which I think is stupid but legal, to automatically be an insurrectionist. He didn't storm the capital or commit any violence. Explain to me how that qualifies as being an insurrectionist.

Could you point me to the part of your post that I quoted where you are saying anything close to that?

Are you seriously trying to compare this to the riot that took place on Jan. 6?

SFL, that is some serious spin in those excerpts. Some spin in the article, but also in the selection of the excerpts.

For example, I don’t believe for a minute that prosecutors set expectations “sky high”. In fact, there have been a lot of people saying that the rioters have been undercharged so far, the DOJ has been slow and methodical. Only adding more serious charges in a deliberate fashion. We get reminded of this almost daily on this site from a certain member, lol.

Other than the one prosecutor who spoke out of turn after he left, there haven’t been any statements from the DOJ that I’m aware of. They’ve let their filings speak for themselves.

I don’t think anyone is saying that the majority of the people who just trespassed should go to jail, and their initial charges reflect that.

Honestly, the excerpts from that piece do not honestly reflect the piece itself. Did you prepare those excerpts? Or did you get them from an aggregator site? Because if you actually read the piece, you have left out a lot of quotes that would show the proper context of the piece itself.

Did you read the original piece?

I wouldn't say everyone outside the Capitol was an insurrectionist. A lot of them didn't do much other than stand around. There were even a few who actually tried to stop the idiots. But there were too many idiots. Anyone actually inside the Capitol doesn't get the benefit of the doubt though. And of course, anyone outside the Capitol who attacked officers or damaged property absolutely should be charged the maximum penalty.

There are cameras all over the place, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out most of who should get charged and imprisoned or fined. Tbh, they're lucky. In a lot of countries, they'd get charged with treason and face a firing squad in short order.

What about the constant talk about an armed insurrection? The FBI didn't seize a single gun from the Capital and not a single Trump supporter fired a weapon.

What about how we now know that nobody brought zip ties in with them so they could kidnap someone? They found them on a desk or in a drawer in the Capitol.

There isn't any evidence that anyone intended to assassinate Romeny or Pence.

Who cares if the main narratives about the storming of the Capital weren't true right? It's not like the Democrats and the media were trying to exaggerate the threat to justify more laws for surveillance and censorship right?

Pointing out things that weren't true or were exaggerated doesn't mean that I'm denying that there wasn't any danger at all. What's wrong with discussing it truthfully and rationally?
    You are right, they didn't seize any guns from the capitol that day, But majority of the rioters weren't arrested that day, am i correct? How many guns/ molotov cocktails/ bombs were seized in vehicles right after? What about the bombs that were found THAT day, do those count? Are you saying NOT ONE person has weapons charges against them that participated in the riot?

You are right, they didn't seize any guns from the capitol that day, But majority of the rioters weren't arrested that day, am i correct? How many guns/ molotov cocktails/ bombs were seized in vehicles right after? What about the bombs that were found THAT day, do those count? Are you saying NOT ONE person has weapons charges against them that participated in the riot?

After a March 3 meeting of a joint oversight Senate committee investigating the riot, some outlets seized on testimony from the FBI counterterrorism division's assistant director that the bureau had not recovered any guns during the incident.​
    ...​
    But that leaves out the first part of Sanborn’s response, when she declined to speak for the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department or U.S. Capitol Police.​
    The U.S. Department of Justice has charged at least three people on gun charges stemming from the Jan. 6 riot, including one whom prosecutors said Metro police found carrying a loaded handgun with an extra magazine.​

so you're teasing a difference between "attending in support of insurrection" with "insurrection"?
    i guess i can see why you would want to believe in a difference, but complicity is complicity

well, i know a couple who were there. they posted that they were on the steps of the capital when the tear gas and rubber bullets were used, so they left as soon as possible. I have no doubt if they didn't get turned away when they did, they would have ended up in the capitol also. (the also posted that they couldn't believe they would fire the rubber bullets and tear gas on American citizens!). I don't think they went there with the intention on storming the capitol, but they went there with the intention of stopping the certification of the election. If that meant storming the capitol, then that's what they were gonna do.
    I know the FBI went to their house and spoke with them. I do not know if they are still under investigation or not.

so you're teasing a difference between "attending in support of insurrection" with "insurrection"?
    i guess i can see why you would want to believe in a difference, but complicity is complicity

Yeah, there's really no appreciable difference. I'll state it differently. My "friend" supported the insurrection, but he didn't support the breaking into the Capitol and violence.

Are you seriously trying to compare this to the riot that took place on Jan. 6?
    Not at all. I was comparing people who attended the rally(not whoever committed violence or stormed the Capital) & the Republican Congressman and Senators to the 3 times this century when the Democrats objected to the election results.

I wouldn't say everyone outside the Capitol was an insurrectionist. A lot of them didn't do much other than stand around. There were even a few who actually tried to stop the idiots. But there were too many idiots. Anyone actually inside the Capitol doesn't get the benefit of the doubt though. And of course, anyone outside the Capitol who attacked officers or damaged property absolutely should be charged the maximum penalty.

There are cameras all over the place, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out most of who should get charged and imprisoned or fined. Tbh, they're lucky. In a lot of countries, they'd get charged with treason and face a firing squad in short order.
    I think the rally was stupid, but I don't see how people can link attending the rally with supporting storming the Capitol. If they did support it why didn't they all storm the Capital?

Did all the people who attended the BLM protests automatically support the violence, looting and damage of property that were committed by others? Did anyone who protested near Chaz support storming the police station & and taking it over?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom