Book Burning in America (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Roofgardener

Reaction score
    Well, OK.. not really.. no books have actually been BURN.. yet. But.....

Doctor Seuss Enterprises has withdrawn six Dr Seuss books from sale, on the grounds that they where 'racially insensitive imagery'.
    Yup.. the Cat in the Hat was a White Nationalist Trumpist Quanon supporter all along ! :p

Well, they have the legal right to do that. However, what happened NEXT is VERY interesting.
    The value of those six books skyrocketed on Ebay. So Ebay finally responded by... delisting the books.
    It is no longer possible to list any of the six books for sale in the USA. If you try more than once, your account can be penalised.

Now think about this. You can buy Mein Kampf, and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion on Ebay in the USA no problem.
    But you aren't ALLOWED to buy "If I ran the zoo".

OK.. this is only six out of the many dozens of books by Dr Seuss.
    At the moment.

Is it just me that finds this incredibly authoritarian ?

Funny, love capitalism when it suits you. Nobody is completely useless, they can be used as a bad example, and banning books and history is setting up to repeat it. Do you really believe that the pendulum can only swing one direction? How about the deliberate misrepresentation that our place holder-n-chief is coherent? As for cancel culture comment, that's flat earth thinking.
    Interested to see if you can support your ‘flat earth thinking’ comment
    Tease that out a bit if you would

Funny that you hate capitalism when it doesn't suit you. Kindly explain to the class what government entity is banning books. The rest of your post is incoherent which I guess is some kind of irony.

Funny that you think there is a difference between Big Tech, MSM, and Democrats in power. Can you show me ANY Democrat that is calling banning books by tech a bad idea? Can you show me ANY media wanting to boycott tech for banning literature, or how about media outraged over cancel culture. Here's a quote for you...

“We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

Funny that you think there is a difference between Big Tech, MSM, and Democrats in power. Can you show me ANY Democrat that is calling banning books by tech a bad idea? Can you show me ANY media wanting to boycott tech for banning literature, or how about media outraged over cancel culture. Here's a quote for you...

“We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    Exactly- can you show me any Democratic who doesn’t condemn the scourge of the Loup Garou or Yeti or Easter Bunny?

Y’all invent controversy and then take the lack of taking you seriously as proof of some conspiracy
    In literature this would be mildly interesting- in actual politics is sad and maddening

Any company has the rigth to decide which products they want to sell or not. That is not "banning" books. Those books are not banned, the companies just decide that they don't want to sell them. BIG difference.

Catholic bookstores may not want to sell books about contraception and family planning due to in not fitting into their company image, but that is still not banning those types of books either. Just a company decision on what kind of merchandise they want to offer.

Any company has the rigth to decide which products they want to sell or not. That is not "banning" books. Those books are not banned, the companies just decide that they don't want to sell them. BIG difference.

Catholic bookstores may not want to sell books about contraception and family planning due to in not fitting into their company image, but that is still not banning those types of books either. Just a company decision on what kind of merchandise they want to offer.

No no, you see when a company they agree with does it it's just grade A, all American, fully leaded free market capitalism. When a company they don't agree with does it it's fascist commie book burning cancel culture.

Bakery doesn't want to sell gay wedding cakes? Capitalism!

Retailer doesn't want to sell a particular book? Fascism!

What's happened here is an illustration of the Dunning Kruger effect. It's a classic case of someone thinking they know more than people who actually know. Case in point is you have someone likening a government openly sponsoring a book "burning" in the form of prohibiting the public from making their own choice of reading materials versus a private company deciding that they would not allow certain material to be sold on their site.

These same people mistake our (US) 1st amendment right to free speech with being free from consequences of their free speech. If I do business with you and you say something I don't like, you don't have the right to force me to continue to do business with you. I have the right to take my business elsewhere. And this is the essence of the "cancel culture" they these folks like to cry about. How ironic that the people who gave us the term "snowflake" are some of the biggest snowflakes out there.

Finally, you have the group that combines Dunning Kruger with Gullibility. They are so gullible to the point that they don't even realize they are gullible and instead believe that everyone else is gullible and that only they know the truth. These are the QAnon types.

They are the ones who consistently tell us that Democrats, MSM and Big tech are one in the same. What's even more interesting is that while they will tell others over an over again that Dems, MSM and Big Tech are all one in the same while failing to even realize, or maybe they do, that they are doing the job of our enemies, namely Russia and Putin. Essentially Russia, Putin, QAnon and Republicans freely spread misinformation designed to hurt this country for their own benefit. It's all a fascinating display of 0% self awareness.

Do you believe that the government should force a business to sell certain books?

Finally, you have the group that combines Dunning Kruger with Gullibility. They are so gullible to the point that they don't even realize they are gullible and instead believe that everyone else is gullible and that only they know the truth. These are the QAnon types.

Dunning Quger if you will.

I'll see myself out...

What's happened here is an illustration of the Dunning Kruger effect. It's a classic case of someone thinking they know more than people who actually know. Case in point is you have someone likening a government openly sponsoring a book "burning" in the form of prohibiting the public from making their own choice of reading materials versus a private company deciding that they would not allow certain material to be sold on their site.

These same people mistake our (US) 1st amendment right to free speech with being free from consequences of their free speech. If I do business with you and you say something I don't like, you don't have the right to force me to continue to do business with you. I have the right to take my business elsewhere. And this is the essence of the "cancel culture" they these folks like to cry about. How ironic that the people who gave us the term "snowflake" are some of the biggest snowflakes out there.

They are the ones who consistently tell us that Democrats, MSM and Big tech are one in the same. What's even more interesting is that while they will tell others over an over again that Dems, MSM and Big Tech are all one in the same while failing to even realize, or maybe they do, that they are doing the job of our enemies, namely Russia and Putin. Essentially Russia, Putin, QAnon and Republicans freely spread misinformation designed to hurt this country for their own benefit. It's all a fascinating display of 0% self awareness.
    Isn’t it the nature of gullibility to not know you’re gullible - at least while it’s happening?

Sure some can look back at patterns and conclude they’re gullible
    But can fall for a con and simultaneously say ‘man, I’m being hella gullible here’?

Indeed. It's basically how the GOP transformed from the party of less government and fiscal responsibility to the party of 'Oh noes, white people are being erased!'

Solid short segment on this subject on tonight's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Unsurprising quick conclusion: stop watching sensationalist fake news that twists facts to prove a manufactured point. Will post the clip if it is made public in the next week or so.

Solid short segment on this subject on tonight's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Unsurprising quick conclusion: stop watching sensationalist fake news that twists facts to prove a manufactured point. Will post the clip if it is made public in the next week or so.

The main story is on YouTube in its entirety the next day, I haven’t seen the “sub” stories on any official channels though.

But yea, it was really to the point - sensationalism thinks this is being sensationalized.

You can repeat it, but doing so, and misspelling it, doesn't change the fact that anti-Semitic and Nazi materials are restricted on eBay, and I've shown you eBay community postings showing you they do indeed remove listings accordingly. And that this applies to eBay in the UK, which has the same offensive materials policy as eBay in the USA, as I literally just told you in the post you're quoting.

Look. eBay USA:

eBay UK:

At this point it appears that you're so sold on the misinformation you've seen that you'll deny sourced, evidenced, reality, rather than accept that you've been misled.

And this isn't rude, any more than showing someone repeatedly insisting that "2+2=5" that "2+2=4" is rude. If it comes across that way, I'd suggest that's a reflection of the content of the quality of your post, rather than the response.

One of many, and likewise seems to be a permanent listing ??

These have been listed for - I believe - over a week ?

(and many others)
    This particular one is listed for 9 days. But as I said; there are MANY others.

2+2 = 4

Once more, I ask: Are these available on the USA version of Ebay ?

yes they actually are

I have read that book. It is important in order to understand history and facism. It is important to know the thoughts behind evil in order be able to recognize how dangerous it is - then as well as now. It may just be history to you but it is very real to me due to the way it has impacted my family for generations.

My grandfather worked in Germany in the 1930's and saw the rise of nazism there. He returned home in 1936. He went back in 1944 as a KZ camp prisoner due to his work in the danish resistance. He survived but the things he experienced there changed him forever and he was never able to settle down with his family again due to the deamons in his mind. When I was born as the first grandchild he started to write letters to me and over the years and as I grew older, he started to open up about his nightmares. So all the word plays and talk about cancell culture and talk about book burnings because a few businesses chose not to sell a few books just shows how little you actually understand.

yes they actually are

I have read that book. It is important in order to understand history and facism. It is important to know the thoughts behind evil in order be able to recognize how dangerous it is - then as well as now. It may just be history to you but it is very real to me due to the way it has impacted my family for generations.

My grandfather worked in Germany in the 1930's and saw the rise of nazism there. He returned home in 1936. He went back in 1944 as a KZ camp prisoner due to his work in the danish resistance. He survived but the things he experienced there changed him forever and he was never able to settle down with his family again due to the deamons in his mind. When I was born as the first grandchild he started to write letters to me and over the years and as I grew older, he started to open up about his nightmares. So all the word plays and talk about cancell culture and talk about book burnings because a few businesses chose not to sell a few books just shows how little you actually understand.
    I don't really have an issue with Seuss Enterprises refusing to sell certain books. I think it is unwise, and it fractionally impoverishes our culture, but they are in their right to do so.

What worries me is the likes of Ebay suddenly banning resale of 2nd-hand copies of the book to adults. THAT seems a step too far.

Still, why should I care ? You might have 10 fleet aircraft carriers, and hundreds of jet fighters and bombers. But I, on the other hand, have a copy of "If I Ran the Zoo", so nya nya nya :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom