Biden seeking a $15 an hour minimum wage in his Covid relief proposal (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Incumbent

Reaction score
    If there’s already a Biden economy thread, I can add this there. It could have gone in the Covid thread, but the impact of this would extend well beyond that topic.

Well past time to raise the minimum wage, which hasn’t been increased since 2009.

They probably are, actually.

giphy.gif

Thursday, the Senate parliamentarian ruled that Democrats’ minimum-wage proposal fell afoul of rules for the legislative process that congressional leaders are using for Biden’s $1.9 trillion aid bill. Requirements dictate that measures be primarily fiscal in nature; taxes are a component of fiscal policy.

About half of undocumented workers in this country entered legally and overstayed their visa which is not a criminal violation, but a civil one. Those who crossed the border illegally committed a misdemeanor offense. However, if they came over as kids, they are not criminally responsible for that either.
    Thank you for this ... Concise and for me informative.

Thursday, the Senate parliamentarian ruled that Democrats’ minimum-wage proposal fell afoul of rules for the legislative process that congressional leaders are using for Biden’s $1.9 trillion aid bill. Requirements dictate that measures be primarily fiscal in nature; taxes are a component of fiscal policy.

Ok, so who's this parliamentarian and where'd they come from?

I don’t know, but I have read recently that when the parliamentarian ruled against something the Republicans wanted to do years ago, they fired them. I think this ruling could be ignored, however the Ds don’t have the votes because Sinema has already said she won’t ever overrule the parliamentarian.

I don’t know, but I have read recently that when the parliamentarian ruled against something the Republicans wanted to do years ago, they fired them. I think this ruling could be ignored, however the Ds don’t have the votes because Sinema has already said she won’t ever overrule the parliamentarian.

Several Democrats, including the President and Vice President, have said they wouldn't support overruling the parliamentarian. The minimum wage isn't fiscal policy, so I get why it was ruled that way. If there is going to be an increase, which I do support, it's going to have to be a bipartisan measure. No way around that.

(the thing is, even if he did, theres at least two (D) senators saying they are opposed to the $15/hr increase)

Twenty-three prominent Democratic representatives, including Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Ilhan Omar (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ro Khanna (D-CA), among others, urged Biden in a letter Monday to overrule the Senate parliamentarian’s decision that the Senate can't use budget reconciliation to pass the $15 minimum wage provision.

"Eighty-one million people cast their ballots to elect you on a platform that called for a $15 minimum wage," the lawmakers wrote in a letter. "We urge you to keep that promise ... and maintain the $15 minimum wage provision in the American Rescue Plan."

(the thing is, even if he did, theres at least two (D) senators saying they are opposed to the $15/hr increase)

Twenty-three prominent Democratic representatives, including Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Ilhan Omar (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ro Khanna (D-CA), among others, urged Biden in a letter Monday to overrule the Senate parliamentarian’s decision that the Senate can't use budget reconciliation to pass the $15 minimum wage provision.

"Eighty-one million people cast their ballots to elect you on a platform that called for a $15 minimum wage," the lawmakers wrote in a letter. "We urge you to keep that promise ... and maintain the $15 minimum wage provision in the American Rescue Plan."
    It’s dead for now. They tested the waters and can come back with a different approach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom