Biden and Trump agree to 2 presidential debates, in June and in September (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score

As recently as Wednesday morning, Trump expressed his desire for a large live audience for his debates with Biden.

“I would strongly recommend more than two debates and, for excitement purposes, a very large venue, although Biden is supposedly afraid of crowds - That’s only because he doesn’t get them,” Trump said. “Just tell me when, I’ll be there.”

Trump has been pushing for more debates and earlier debates, arguing voters should be able to see the two men face off well before early voting begins in September. He has repeatedly said he will debate Biden “anytime, anywhere, any place,” even proposing the two men face off outside the Manhattan courthouse where he is currently on criminal trial in a hush money case. He also has been taunting Biden with an empty lectern at some of his rallies.

If Joe Biden is to win November’s election, he must win this week’s televised debate. He must come off as energetic and competent. He must make the case, persuasively, that Donald Trump is a danger to the nation and the world. And, perhaps most of all, he must seem mentally sharp.

That’s a lot to do in under 90 minutes, especially while sharing the stage with someone as unpredictable as Trump, whose dominant personality and in-your-face tactics can put him at an advantage.

Luckily for Biden – and anyone who gives a damn about the future of America – the president already has some crucial advantages going into Thursday evening’s CNN debate.

The format is good for him. First off, there is no studio audience to create a disruption or cheer Trump’s wild utterances; thus, the debate will not turn into one of those fake “town halls” packed with rightwing cult members posed as undecided voters. (Is there really an undecided voter left in the nation? If so, why?)

Secondly – and crucially – each candidate’s microphone will be shut off when it’s not his turn to speak. This limits Trump’s habit of relentlessly interrupting, which dominated the first presidential debate in 2020.

Given those ground rules, it’s surprising that Trump agreed to the debate at all – and it’s still possible that he’ll back out, no doubt citing how “rigged” the entire world is against his noble greatness.

But even with these reasonable regulations in his favor, Biden must meet the challenge of convincing prospective voters that he’s capable of doing the job for another four years.

Toward that end, he’s had some help from an unexpected quarter: the media, both mainstream and rightwing.

In recent months – and especially in recent weeks – much of the media has been on a campaign to depict the 81-year-old Biden as nearly senile and certainly incapable of another term, while seldom focusing on 78-year-old Trump’s lunatic ravings on the campaign trail or his long list of other disqualifications.……

I expect them to back out the day before or later to screw CNN and leave them scrambling to fill the prime time spot. CNN is trying so hard to be neutral, so I don't think they'd give the time to Biden on his own.

I expect the excuse from Trump to be something along the lines of, "I really wanted to debate, but my advisors wouldn't let me do it. I fought with them to do it, but they wouldn't let me. They said CNN had rigged the debate against me and were going to be unfair to me and twist everything to make me look bad. So we decided not to do it."

It's not a prediction, it's just what I expect. I think what Trump's advisors are going to be most concerned about is Trump losing his cool because he won't be able to rant over Biden due to his mic being off.

That's going to make Trump feel like it makes him seem weak and out of control, so he's going to either try to yell over Biden from his own podium or he's going to walk over to Biden's to try to talk into Biden's mic.

Trump has zero ability to maintain his composure anytime he doesn't feel like he's the big boy in charge, except when with Putin. For some reason, Putin is the only person that I've ever seen Trump kowtow to.

I think the easiest thing that Biden can do to get under Trump's skin is to laugh at some ridiculous idea or stream of consciousness that Trump has during the debate and say something to the effect of, "What is this guy talking about? He's lost it."

Without Trump getting the usual adulation he receives after every utterance that comes out of his mouth, the way he does at his rallies, that alone will set him off. It will make Trump feel very inferior and cause him to lose focus and his composure (if he has any at all, that is).

I still wouldn't be surprised if Trump's campaign backs out of this.....BUT, if they don't, I fully expect Biden to destroy him in a debate. Trump, away from the friendliest Trumpy crowds will flounder around aimlessly and Biden is still smart and saavy enough to take advantage of this.....

I still wouldn't be surprised if Trump's campaign backs out of this.....BUT, if they don't, I fully expect Biden to destroy him in a debate. Trump, away from the friendliest Trumpy crowds will flounder around aimlessly and Biden is still smart and saavy enough to take advantage of this.....
    Trump does not even do good in front of his crowds. it's just that they don't care what he says.

If Joe Biden is to win November’s election, he must win this week’s televised debate. He must come off as energetic and competent. He must make the case, persuasively, that Donald Trump is a danger to the nation and the world. And, perhaps most of all, he must seem mentally sharp.

That’s a lot to do in under 90 minutes, especially while sharing the stage with someone as unpredictable as Trump, whose dominant personality and in-your-face tactics can put him at an advantage.

Luckily for Biden – and anyone who gives a damn about the future of America – the president already has some crucial advantages going into Thursday evening’s CNN debate.

The format is good for him. First off, there is no studio audience to create a disruption or cheer Trump’s wild utterances; thus, the debate will not turn into one of those fake “town halls” packed with rightwing cult members posed as undecided voters. (Is there really an undecided voter left in the nation? If so, why?)

Secondly – and crucially – each candidate’s microphone will be shut off when it’s not his turn to speak. This limits Trump’s habit of relentlessly interrupting, which dominated the first presidential debate in 2020.

Given those ground rules, it’s surprising that Trump agreed to the debate at all – and it’s still possible that he’ll back out, no doubt citing how “rigged” the entire world is against his noble greatness.

But even with these reasonable regulations in his favor, Biden must meet the challenge of convincing prospective voters that he’s capable of doing the job for another four years.

Toward that end, he’s had some help from an unexpected quarter: the media, both mainstream and rightwing.

In recent months – and especially in recent weeks – much of the media has been on a campaign to depict the 81-year-old Biden as nearly senile and certainly incapable of another term, while seldom focusing on 78-year-old Trump’s lunatic ravings on the campaign trail or his long list of other disqualifications.……

Debating is hard for anyone. If Biden does well in a debate, it says he is well prepared to handle himself well in board meetings where he has to make decisions. The inverse isn’t true, because one can do well in board rooms, yet be bad at debating, but if you’re good at debating, then you’re cognitively strong, so you’re likely also going to well in a board room. Biden has the stuttering disability, and obviously has slowed down, but I think he is still mentally strong and will prove it. I think it is more likely that Trump will produce the mental gaffes, because I think despite his more energetic appearance, I think he has declined mentally. It may have an effect on the voters on the margin.

There are still political pundits who think Trump will cancel.

CNN should make it clear that they are hosting this debate not matter what. If Trump decides not to participate, Biden will debate an empty podium and get to get his message across with no opposition from Trump.
    That’s what they should do, but they won’t.

I don’t believe for a minute that CNN couldn’t fact check live if they wanted to, this is a cop-out.

Trump says so many lies that he challenges real-time fact checkers. If he were to only tell a few lies, then it could be done, but he is a stream of lies. It’s going to require a long time to cover all of them, especially with any level of nuance.

That’s what they should do, but they won’t.
    Why wouldn’t they hold it without Trump? They can still ask Biden all of the questions they planned to ask, but give him all of the time they intended to give Trump. It would still be a bonanza for them. The only question is whether Biden would be willing to do it, and I think he would be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom