All things Racist...USA edition (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

When Kamryn Yanchick graduated, she hoped to decorate her cap with a beaded pattern in honor of her Native American heritage. Whether she could was up to her Oklahoma high school. Administrators told her no.

Yanchick settled for wearing beaded earrings to her 2018 graduation.

A bill vetoed earlier this month by Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican, would have allowed public school students to wear feathers, beaded caps, stoles or other objects of cultural and religious significance. Yanchick, a citizen of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma and descendent of the Muscogee Nation, said she hopes the legislature tries again.

Being able to “unapologetically express yourself and take pride in your culture at a celebration without having to ask a non-Native person for permission to do so is really significant,” said Yanchick, a Native American policy advocate and a former intern with the American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma.

For Native American students, tribal regalia is often passed down through generations and worn at graduations to signify connection with the community. Disputes over such attire have spurred laws making it illegal to prevent Native American students from wearing regalia in nearly a dozen states including Arizona, Oregon, South Dakota, North Dakota and Washington.

High schools, which often favor uniformity at commencement ceremonies, take a range of approaches toward policing sashes, flower leis and other forms of self-expression. Advocates argue the laws are needed to avoid leaving it up to individual administrators.

Groups like the Native American Rights Fund hear regularly from students blocked from wearing eagle feathers or other regalia. This week in Oklahoma, a Native American high school graduate sued a school district, claiming she was forced her to remove a feather from her cap at a ceremony last spring.

When Jade Roberson graduated from Edmond Santa Fe High School, the same school attended by Yanchick, she would have liked to wear a beaded cap and a large turquoise necklace above her gown. But it didn’t seem worth asking. She said a friend was only able to wear an eagle feather because he spoke with several counselors, consulted the principal and received a letter from the Cherokee Nation on the feather’s significance.

“It was such a hassle for him that my friends and I decided to just wear things under our gown,” said Roberson, who is of Navajo descent. “I think it is such a metaphor for what it is like to be Native.”…….

Screenshot_20230523-162717.png

this is definitely a microagression. Considering all the truly terrible racist things that have been posted here and on EE over the years is this a big deal?

Probably not. But it's a deal, and one that will be remembered
    =========================================

In the education system, one would expect every student to be treated with the utmost care. Unfortunately, that is usually far from the case — especially for children of color.
    On TikTok, @missasworld posted evidence of a white teacher forgoing hugging a Black elementary school student, and other creators were understandably outraged.

In the video, the white educator (dubbed an “eduKaren”) struts through the hallways of a school during her retirement walkout and offers warm embraces to every student except one. And she seemingly did not care that it was caught on camera. Here’s what happened.

The 20-second clip showed the eduKaren offering hugs to every white student that wanted one. However, when a young Black girl opened her arms to receive an embrace, the educator blatantly disregarded her and gave her an apathetic pat on the shoulder instead.

Unsurprisingly, a few users in the comment section tried to justify the teacher’s inexcusable behavior. However, Miss A immediately shut them all down by providing additional context...........

Multiple motorists traveling on Interstate 65 on Monday near Clanton reported Alabama Department of Transportation signs displaying messages for a group identified as a white supremacist organization.

Images on social media showed large digital traffic signs displaying the words “Patriot Front” and “reclaim America.”

One driver, heading north on I-65, stated on Twitter that a Alabama state trooper “waved me to go on.”

“How does this come about? Is it an inside job kind of thing? It also said ‘Road Work Nightly’ or something on the third ‘slide’ and it was an actual work zone that followed. Weird as hell.”

Another motorist told AL.com that she reported the sign to a state trooper at about 1 p.m.

A spokesman for the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency referred questions to the Alabama Department of Transportation.

John McWilliams, public information officer for ALDOT’s West Central Region, said a contractor’s portable message board on I-65 in Chilton County was hacked...........

this is definitely a microagression. Considering all the truly terrible racist things that have been posted here and on EE over the years is this a big deal?

Probably not. But it's a deal, and one that will be remembered
    =========================================

In the education system, one would expect every student to be treated with the utmost care. Unfortunately, that is usually far from the case — especially for children of color.
    On TikTok, @missasworld posted evidence of a white teacher forgoing hugging a Black elementary school student, and other creators were understandably outraged.

In the video, the white educator (dubbed an “eduKaren”) struts through the hallways of a school during her retirement walkout and offers warm embraces to every student except one. And she seemingly did not care that it was caught on camera. Here’s what happened.

The 20-second clip showed the eduKaren offering hugs to every white student that wanted one. However, when a young Black girl opened her arms to receive an embrace, the educator blatantly disregarded her and gave her an apathetic pat on the shoulder instead.

Unsurprisingly, a few users in the comment section tried to justify the teacher’s inexcusable behavior. However, Miss A immediately shut them all down by providing additional context...........

That is f'in disgusting.....

MIAMI (AP) — A white man was sentenced to probation in South Florida Tuesday for pulling a gun and yelling racial slurs in a traffic confrontation with a group of Black teenagers protesting housing inequality on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 2019.

As part of a deal with with prosecutors, Mark Bartlett, 55, pleaded guilty to a hate crime and aggravated assault and also agreed not to possess a firearm for a decade, the Miami Herald reported. Bartlett must also perform 300 hours of community service and take anger management classes and racial sensitivity training. Bartlett could have faced decades in prison, but Miami-Dade County Judge Alberto Milian granted Bartlett a withhold of adjudication, which means Bartlett will avoid a formal conviction.

Bartlett had previously claimed he was acting in self-defense during the confrontation, but following a 2021 hearing Milian ruled that Bartlett did not act reasonably in getting out of his SUV and pulling a pistol on the teenage protesters who had stopped traffic near the Brickell Bridge in downtown Miami. Bartlett had testified that he was being held hostage as his SUV was stuck in traffic and that he was goaded into repeatedly using a slur. He acknowledged the slur is a derogatory term for a Black person but denied that it was racist.

What’s the proper sentence for a man who walked up on a group of Black teens mind their business with a gun in hand and mouth full of racial slurs? According to NBC 6 South Florida, the man guilty of this very thing escaped prison time.

Mark Bartlett, 55, was accused of confronting a group of Black teens riding their bicycles in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day protest against housing inequality in 2019. Videos caught him charging toward the boys holding a handgun and yelling the n-word while they stopped traffic for the demonstration. Bartlett initially tried the good ol’ self-defense argument, insisting he was being “held hostage” in his own vehicle but Miami-Dade County Judge Alberto Milian wasn’t having it..........

After learning their son’s principal allegedly questioned the direction of his life because of his braids, Ashley and Damon Thorn decided to continue his education journey elsewhere.

On May 15, Calvary Baptist School student Dalon Thorn was excited to sport a new hairstyle, cornrows. Although he liked his new look, some of the faculty at the private school weren’t a fan of it. According to Angelyn Mesman, the school’s principal, some staff members voiced they were concerned even though it didn’t violate the code of conduct manual. When Dalon’s mom picked him up from school and wanted to know how his day went, he shared how he felt after Mesman allegedly asked him if his braids were symbolic of being a part of a gang, NOLA reported.

“I picked him up, just like normal and asked how was your day? How did your friends like your braids?” Ashley told the news outlet. “We’re driving out of the parking lot and he said the principal pulled him aside today and asked if his braids represented being a gangster.”

She said she was upset and confused because the code of conduct states, “An acceptable well-groomed haircut is required of all male students” and “hair will not reach shoulder length nor will bangs be long enough to cover eyes. Rat-tail and Mohawk-type haircuts are not acceptable. Dreadlocks and afros over 3″ are not acceptable. Man buns and sculpting are not acceptable. Colored hair, feathers, and extreme styles are not allowed.”

She was shocked by the statement because her son’s hair was in code, and she immediately told her husband. Ready to take a stand for their son and get clarification on why Mesman allegedly said that, they met with her the next day. The Thorns recorded the entire conversation, which lasted for 16 minutes, to have proof. The audio allegedly captures the principal telling the parents that she had a one-on-one conversation with Dalon to ensure she didn’t make him feel uncomfortable or humiliated in front of others...............

This latest post on Reddit's "TIFU" subreddit proves once again that outward racism is alive and well in the United States. OP explains that he and his wife are Black and just bought their first house, which is a momentous occasion and should be a joyous one as well.

They bought an "upper-middle-class home in the eastern Tennessee area." The house is still under constructions, but they decided to drive over and walk though the house to check it out. "While we were talking through," OP writes, "I noticed the neighbor across the street kept peeking out his window at us."

They waved and smiled at the neighbor, but the guy aggressively ignored them and shut his blinds. Then, as they were about to leave, the neighbor came running out and started yelling at them to stop. "I asked him if there was a problem," OP writes. "He said, 'Yes. I don't know why y'all in our neighborhood but we don't take kindly to thieves and criminals. The police are on the way."

The outright racism is potent. But OP kept his cool in the face of wild prejudice and explained to the neighbor that they just bought the house and that they were looking around...their own house.

The neighbor responded that "people like us couldn't afford houses here and that we could save our lies for the police." Holy hell. It doesn't get much more racist than that, folks. We often talk about all the subtle, insidious ways this country remains entrenched in racism, the policies designed to hurt Black people, the structures in place that leave Black populations out of the possibility of achieving success.

But sometimes, the racism isn't subtle. Sometimes, it's so obvious and confident that it slaps you across the face. For some (read: white people), it's hard to believe that people like this neighbor actually still exist, people who call Black people "thieves and criminals" and don't believe that a Black person could possibly afford a nice house.

But Black people know these people still exist because they have to face them everyday. This neighbor didn't back down or apologize when he was told it was their house. He accused them of lying.

The police showed up shortly after this exchange, and OP and his wife were immediately handcuffed and detained "while he was free to run around and explain that I didn't belong there." That's horrendous. The police wouldn't even let them explain themselves before handcuffing them for a wrongful complaint.

Police violence against Black people is real and pervasive. If the complaint had been about a "suspicious" white couple, do you think they would have immediately been handcuffed without the ability to explain themselves? No way...........

Last edited:
    There is plenty of racism in this country, practiced by all races. No doubt about that.

But when I see a phrase like "aggressively ignored them," I'm done with that particular account of it.
    why?

congrats on the 'both sides!" or in this case "all sides!" to racism by the way and on the fact that in the whole encounter the use of "aggressively ignored them" is the part you take issue with

retail micro aggressions

Question: If the retailers only locked those items up after statistics told them that they were being stolen at a rate that made stocking them unprofitable, while the rate of theft of the other products was much lower, is that still racism or is it just statistics?

If stocking them unlocked meant losing money, are they obligated to both not lock them and keep stocking them, as acceptable losses? Or maybe lock up all such products, not just the ones being stolen?

In my Walmart, no beauty products are locked up. They do lock up birth control and other sex-related items, cell phone, and other small and expensive electronic items. Racist or best business practice based on past experience?

BTW, hi, I'm Snarky! I enjoy your OP's.

Didn't mean to just jump in and start arguing . . .

Because "aggressively ignoring" someone doesn't seem possible. How do you do that? Is it a micro-aggression or a regular size aggression?

I guess it's like the silent treatment. If a husband does it to the wife, it can be very disconcerting to her. If my wife did that to me, she'd have to tell me she was doing it, or I'd just think, 'it's been nice and quiet lately, I wonder why?'
    congrats on the 'both sides!" or in this case "all sides!" to racism by the way and on the fact that in the whole encounter the use of "aggressively ignored them" is the part you take issue with
    Sure, thanks. It would be racist to claim that only one race is racist, so I would never do that.

It's not that it's the only part I take issue with. It's just that it makes me doubt the details of the encounter. That people called the po-lice on strangers walking around a newly built house seems believable. That hey came out screaming "you thieves and crack dealers better hyitonoutahyar!" or whatever, strains credultity based on the "aggressively ignored" phrase and that it was anonymous by "OP."

Because "aggressively ignoring" someone doesn't seem possible. How do you do that? Is it a micro-aggression or a regular size aggression?

I guess it's like the silent treatment. If a husband does it to the wife, it can be very disconcerting to her. If my wife did that to me, she'd have to tell me she was doing it, or I'd just think, 'it's been nice and quiet lately, I wonder why?'

Sure, thanks. It would be racist to claim that only one race is racist, so I would never do that.

It's not that it's the only part I take issue with. It's just that it makes me doubt the details of the encounter. That people called the po-lice on strangers walking around a newly built house seems believable. That hey came out screaming "you thieves and crack dealers better hitonoutahyar! strains credultity based on the "aggressively ignored" phrase and that it was anonymous by "OP."

It was explained in the article, you're just choosing to make something else of it. They waived, the person didn't return the gesture and abruptly closed the curtains.

It was explained in the article, you're just choosing to make something else of it. They waived, the person didn't return the gesture and abruptly closed the curtains.
    I just finished a Netflix documentary on Pearl Harbor. To think that now we call abruptly shutting curtains "aggressive" is both humorous and disheartening.

There is plenty of racism in this country, practiced by all races. No doubt about that.

But when I see a phrase like "aggressively ignored them," I'm done with that particular account of it.

I guess that's why you missed the part where they came out and accused them of being a criminal.

You assume people you know nothing about are lying. Well, you do know one thing about them, their race.

I guess that's why you missed the part where they came out and accused them of being a criminal.
    No, I saw that part after I saw the "aggressively ignored. By that time I realized that the claim was anonymous and second hand. Doesn't mean it never happened, I just don't automatically give it credence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom