All things Racist...USA edition (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

No, you provided an example of a couple of times that teachers tried to teach actual American history. That was not CRT.

Start with differences in sentencing. Start with flooding inner cities with crack. Start with ongoing problems with housing valuations depending upon the race of the owner trying to sell. Start with ongoing charter schools/vouchers that funnel white kids and money away from public schools. Shall we continue? What about the Lower 9th ward? What about poor people whose land was bought up after hurricanes demolished homes so hotels could built? Jackson, MS? Flint, MI? DeathSantis in FL?

Your “not the only one” is obfuscation. Slavery is pure evil. Slaveholders and traders are sub-human, to borrow from Heinlein “ no matter how scrubbed and perfumed they are”. Your “teach all the civilizations” is obfuscation. The central issue here, in this country, IS THIS COUNTRY.

My goal? I don’t have a goal per se…except to expose that white people such as ourselves are scared to death of one thing. It isn’t CRT as that is just a bullschlitz cover-up.

I know what you are afraid of. Do you? Will you admit it?
    Yeah, I beleive this country is the best that has ever been created by man and it is not even close. What about you, what is the best society ever created by man?
    Please do. I don't. Probably not because it will be some moaist struggle session but, please do.

All the news out of Florida these days is racist, antisemitic or homophobic/transphobic with increasing discrimination and attacks against people representing those groups. That is the society that Republicans want to export and grow for the whole nation.
    Yep, that is it. Florida is a white supremist green house. You solved the puzzle.

I would love an answer to this question.

No, you haven’t proven any such thing. And just because people have trouble following exactly what you mean when you say CRT, but still endeavor to have a forthright conversation with you doesn’t mean that you are correct. The issue of CRT has been so muddied, admittedly so by the person responsible for doing it, that CRT now means anything that approaches teaching actual black history.

Now this section contains actual straw men arguments. Nobody “on the left” is trying to suppress historical facts about slavery. Quite the opposite actually.

Are you suggesting that we should teach facts about slavery in other parts of the world during American history classes? Why would we do that? What would be the purpose? It suggests to me that you want to make excuses for slavery as practiced in America. Why would someone want to do that?
    Is there not a push to teach about racism in math classes? How about literature classes? Science?

Yeah, I beleive this country is the best that has ever been created by man and it is not even close. What about you, what is the best society ever created by man?
    Please do. I don't. Probably not because it will be some moaist struggle session but, please do.
    No such thing. Rah-rah-ism is pointless. I believe that every society and government used to organize that society has flaws and must be capable of improving its ability to serve all its citizens. That includes acknowledging its past faults.

Is there not a push to teach about racism in math classes? How about literature classes? Science?
    Nope. Just like the is no such thing as Christian physics.

No such thing. Rah-rah-ism is pointless. I believe that every society and government used to organize that society has flaws and must be capable of improving its ability to serve all its citizens. That includes acknowledging its past faults.
    Like I said, this country is above all in that regard too.

Nope. Just like the is no such thing as Christian physics.
    So you are drawing a comparison between the 'teaching of racism' and religion. I appreciate the honesty and I agree with you.

So you are drawing a comparison between the 'teaching of racism' and religion. I appreciate the honesty and I agree with you.
    I also would accept teaching the influence of religion, positive and negative, in relation to history. The same applies to racism.

Like I said, this country is above all in that regard too.
    Well, healthcare outcomes, literacy, life expectancy etc seem to say otherwise.

I find it unsurprising that people who live in a nation state think highly of their nation state.

Racism has negatively impacted generations of people, leading to discrimination, lost economic opportunities, racist policing and incarceration, and in many cases, death.

But even when the impact of racism is not so apparent or in the headlines, the pernicious effects of racial discrimination and structural racism take a toll on the brain and mental health, emerging research shows.

The data are already concerning.

Experiences of racial discrimination are consistently linked with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, substance use and PTSD, as well as physical ailments such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Black Americans, for instance, are about twice as likely as White Americans to develop dementia.

Racism is its own stressor and one that cannot be easily avoided.

“Even as a kid, you’re experiencing discrimination related to your skin color, you can’t really change that,” said Arpana Gupta, associate professor at the University of California at Los Angeles.
Black people and other racial minorities — and their brains — can learn to adapt, but it comes at a cost, researchers said.

“It’s kind of like working twice as hard to get just as far,” said Negar Fani, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory University School of Medicine.

Over the long term, racism accelerates aging and degrades key brain circuits involved in regulating emotion and cognition.

“This is not an effect of race,” said Nathaniel Harnett, neuroscientist at McLean Hospital and an asssistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. “It is an effect of the burdens we place on racial groups.”

Recent neuroimaging research shows that encounters with racial discrimination on the individual level and structural racism at the societal level change how the brain responds to potential threats.

Racial discrimination is a type of trauma that is often invalidated or questioned by society, Fani said.
“The idea that someone has been discriminated against is often questioned,” she said. “And that has led to a lot of individual invalidation. So people self-invalidate when things happen to them.”

This in turn can lead to rumination over their experiences and increased vigilance for future racist threats, she added.

In a 2021 study published in JAMA Psychiatry, Fani, Harnett and their colleagues found that among 55 Black women who had experienced some form of childhood or adult trauma, those who reported experiencing more racial discrimination had proportionately higher neural responses in brain regions related to threat vigilance and emotional regulation.

At the same time, there was also increased activation in visual brain areas involved with visual attention, suggesting that they may be more attentive to their environments.

Vigilance has a function in the presence of a threat, racial or otherwise, by helping us detect and get away from it. And in the short term, increased vigilance can be adaptive. In the study, the Black women who reported experiencing more racial discrimination performed better on an attention task.

But with long-term stress come long-term changes to the brain. “The issue with aspects of racism, like racial discrimination and structural racism, is that these things are ever-present,” Harnett said……..

I can and have provided proof that CRT is being taught. After the initial 'it is not being taught' defense, that evolved to the 'it is only being taught in higher grades' to the now, that you just parrotted, 'I should be taught and it is a good thing' That is called a straw man my friend and you just built a giant one.

What about the European slave trade, should that be taught as well? Not the one that is only taught where whites bought Africans from Africans for slave trade but the raiding of Europe for 'white slaves' by North Africans? Also the Scandinavian slave trade that priorities white slaves above all else for the price they would fetch at the muslim slave markets?
    If you want to teach the horrors of slaver, teach it all. Teach about the societies that fought to eradicate it. Teach about all (literally every single one) civilization that had and benefited from slavery. Why is it that the far left only fixate on African slave trade and only half of it? Would it be a political ideology? I think so.

Show me current racism and I will stand with you in denouncing it, but you have to be honest about it.

What is the end goal. Can you describe what this country will look like with equity fully implemented?
    Because, last I checked, this is America.

Yes, because universities have stopped admitting white people

The grievance is strong in this one

Sense a future Karen

That's clearly not in the US (no one says "won't get into university") - I checked and she's in South Africa.

In South Africa, less than 8% of the population is white. According to the most recent data I could find, about 15% of SA university students are white.

That's clearly not in the US (no one says "won't get into university") - I checked and she's in South Africa.

In South Africa, less than 8% of the population is white. According to the most recent data I could find, about 15% of SA university students are white.

Good catch. Nobody here says marks, either. It's grades.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom