All things Racist...USA edition (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Do we have examples yet of systematic racism in this country in the current times? I keep asking for actual examples but all I get are abstracts and examples from the past.

And racism is discrimination or prejudices based on race.

I don't think perceived positions of power have anything to do racism. While institution racism is something completely different and have for the most part been corrected in this country. By this logic, are we saying that minorities groups can't be racist?

Patriotism is pride in ones country (tribe) and has nothing to do with racism. In reality. Now in the strange upside down world of CRT and identity politics, the radicals on both sides have made patriotism a strange racist bugaboo and that turns off of most Americans.

OK, I like the discussion. Please give me an example of something that would reman racist in application if there were not a racist alive today.

As for deniers of systemic racism, they fall, imo, into one of two categories: self-haters or racists. OK, two more categories: willfully blind and blissfully ignorant.
    Marijuana being illegal results in racist outcomes.

Schools being funded largely by local property taxes results in racist outcomes.

There are many examples in our legal system of things that may not be racist on paper, but result in outcomes that disproportionately impact some races more negatively than others.

Someone who supports prohibition of Marijuana doesn't have to be racist, but their support for the current law helps preserve systemic racism.

I don't think perceived positions of power have anything to do racism.
    Of course you don't. You don't even seem to understand what racism is.
    And racism is discrimination or prejudices based on race
    Prejudice is an unjustified or incorrect attitude (usually negative) towards an individual based solely on the individual's membership of a social group. ... Discrimination is the behavior or actions, usually negative, towards an individual or group of people, especially on the basis of sex/race/social class, etc
    Patriotism is pride in ones country (tribe) and has nothing to do with racism.
    Patriotism prior to Qanon and Trump had nothing to do with racism. It has everything to do with racism now.
    the radicals on both sides have made patriotism a strange racist bugaboo and that turns off of most Americans.
    I beg to differ. Only one group has started calling themselves "patriots" and only one group attempted sedition on our country. Republicans and trump supporters have no clue of what it means to be patriotic. It sure as shirt doesn't mean what they think it means.

The way cocaine and crack were (possibly still are) penalized with different severity is an example of institutional racism. There are many such examples.

Heck, just look at the way black people are generally treated for petty crimes and misdemeanors. If I were to try to pass a counterfeit twenty do you suppose I would have been handcuffed and basically murdered over it? Even if I argued with the officer I would never be treated that way.

Farb, your idea that racism has been eradicated from our society is either willful ignorance or just plain ignorance.

Schools still punish young black and brown children far more severely for the same issues than they do white children. It’s a well known fact, Ayo has linked the studies within the last year.

Of course you don't. You don't even seem to understand what racism is.

Prejudice is an unjustified or incorrect attitude (usually negative) towards an individual based solely on the individual's membership of a social group. ... Discrimination is the behavior or actions, usually negative, towards an individual or group of people, especially on the basis of sex/race/social class, etc

Patriotism prior to Qanon and Trump had nothing to do with racism. It has everything to do with racism now.

I beg to differ. Only one group has started calling themselves "patriots" and only one group attempted sedition on our country. Republicans and trump supporters have no clue of what it means to be patriotic. It sure as shirt doesn't mean what they think it means.
    for someone trying to correct me on my definition and understanding of a certain word, you sure do put out a lot of subjective definitions and examples out there in an attempt to prove your point.

Do we have examples yet of systematic racism in this country in the current times? I keep asking for actual examples but all I get are abstracts and examples from the past.

I don't think perceived positions of power have anything to do racism. While institution racism is something completely different and have for the most part been corrected in this country. By this logic, are we saying that minorities groups can't be racist?

Patriotism is pride in ones country (tribe) and has nothing to do with racism. In reality. Now in the strange upside down world of CRT and identity politics, the radicals on both sides have made patriotism a strange racist bugaboo and that turns off of most Americans.
    I suggest reading “The War on Neighborhoods: Policing, Prisons and Punishment in a Divided City.”

Unfortunately, you do not get to define the terminology. Racism arises from a position of power whether you like it or not. As stated before all racism is bigotry but not all bigotry is racism.

Patriotism is groupism writ large. I did not say it was racism. Power holders utilize agitprop to draw attention to and/or away from particular issues. Power holders are both public (elected/appointed officials) and private (wealth holders/corporate leaders/so-called thought leaders etc). The goal is preservation of power which requires establishing “enemies” or other targets (war on this object or that concept) as well as alleged real enemies and rallying “The People”. The People, of course, are not all the same. Power holders are less willing as a whole but not necessarily individually to sacrifice family (the smallest groupism). Thus, “the other” becomes acceptable on the large patriotism scale. So-called heroes who arise from “the other” are acceptable longer term until they are not.

As for identity politics, holy Schlitz! All politics is identity politics. Politics decides who gets what, where, when, how and why.

Marijuana being illegal results in racist outcomes.

Schools being funded largely by local property taxes results in racist outcomes.

There are many examples in our legal system of things that may not be racist on paper, but result in outcomes that disproportionately impact some races more negatively than others.

Someone who supports prohibition of Marijuana doesn't have to be racist, but their support for the current law helps preserve systemic racism.
    Yes, the drug laws result in racist outcomes. The laws themselves are not racist. The people who put them in place probably had racist underpinnings. That being said it is those who enforce the laws including many people involved in the retribution system that allow/act in racist ways. Prohibition is a failure all the way around. Of course, whites/wealth generally end up with better outcomes because of unequal treatment before the law.

I suggest reading “The War on Neighborhoods: Policing, Prisons and Punishment in a Divided City.”

Unfortunately, you do not get to define the terminology. Racism arises from a position of power whether you like it or not. As stated before all racism is bigotry but not all bigotry is racism.

Patriotism is groupism writ large. I did not say it was racism. Power holders utilize agitprop to draw attention to and/or away from particular issues. Power holders are both public (elected/appointed officials) and private (wealth holders/corporate leaders/so-called thought leaders etc). The goal is preservation of power which requires establishing “enemies” or other targets (war on this object or that concept) as well as alleged real enemies and rallying “The People”. The People, of course, are not all the same. Power holders are less willing as a whole but not necessarily individually to sacrifice family (the smallest groupism). Thus, “the other” becomes acceptable on the large patriotism scale. So-called heroes who arise from “the other” are acceptable longer term until they are not.

As for identity politics, holy Schlitz! All politics is identity politics. Politics decides who gets what, where, when, how and why.
    Interesting point. Who does get to define terminology and why?

I haven't been able to listen to all of this. I caught some of it on NPR yesterday.

The level of polarization in our country’s politics can feel intractable these days. And the murder of George Floyd brought that divide to the forefront of conversations about race. While Black Americans and advocates for racial equality have long been aware of the role systemic racism plays across our society, there are many individuals who would prefer not to have these conversations, especially if those conversations are happening in schools. Across the U.S., more and more conservative lawmakers in states like Tennessee, Arkansas, and Idaho, are advancing bills to ban the teaching of critical race theory.

Matt Bockenfeld, a high school social studies teacher at Fishers High School in Fishers Indiana, and Gloria Ladson-Billings, professor emerita at the University of Wisconsin Madison and former Kellner Family chair in urban education joined The Takeaway to discuss how educators are attempting to talk to their students about systemic racism.

"This is the house we live in, not the house we built". I like that line.

You never addressed the examples we brought up last time about the unequal application of the law (police arresting black men for marijuana possession at a higher rate despite white college students use marijuana at a higher rate). You don't really seem to be interested in the discussion.

OK, I like the discussion. Please give me an example of something that would reman racist in application if there were not a racist alive today.
    He gave an example - redlining.

Even if no one were alive that had implemented redlining, until there are actual steps taken to undo the damaging effects of redlining, they will continue to remain.

This is factually untrue. You were given concrete, current examples in another thread. Just because you decided to start a new thread doesn't mean that no one has given you examples.

And you can go on with examples like wait times for election polling - guess which race has to wait longer to vote?

And you can go on and on...

No one passed a law that says black people need to wait longer in line -- instead they closed polling centers in a cost cutting move, which resulted in fewer polling places in majority black districts, resulting in longer wait times.

And so on.

Let us engage in language. Racism arises from a position of physical/political/economic power. Bigotry arises anywhere. All racism is bigotry but not all bigotry is racism.

I'm familiar with this distinction, but I also am not sure it's really helpful in these discussions. For one, power is wielded in lots of different ways now, so almost any form bigotry will result in actual harm to the one being prejudiced against.

https://news.yahoo.com/white-farmers-sue-biden-administration-200252865.html

https://nypost.com/2021/02/25/bidens-covid-relief-bill-is-chock-full-of-anti-white-reverse-racism/

Add this to the weird policy of minority preferred rollout of the vaccine recommended by the CCD and backed by the Harris/Biden Administration.

Seems that the 'institutional' power definition might only apply one way?

As far as numbers in policing and law enforcement and judicial, something tells that if you actually dig a little deeper and not just in the numbers that were presented by a political activist with the title of 'researcher' or 'professor' you might find that the biggest obstacle is the family unit, community and self-accountability. That is an entirely different discussion that most want to just label as racism or systemic racism because it is a very delicate and tough discussion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom