All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Why is the Biden Administration getting all kinds of flak for not meeting the 70% vaccinated by July 4th goal?
    I haven‘t personally seen this criticism yet, but it’s silly to blame the Biden administration. This is still a ripple effect from Trump’s refusal to acknowledge COVID as a real thing. Even him claiming it’s his big beautiful vaccine went over like a lead balloon, the ship sailed on that when you kept telling your zealots there was nothing to worry about.

So you either get flak for not hitting the goal, or flak for ”forcing” vaccines on people to hit the goal.

I really don’t care about the well-being of anyone just refusing vaccination at this point.

Right, I realize that, I hope your agency leadership gives you more flexibility in the future if feasible.

Indeed. And realistically, everything in my job description can be done from home. I think that's the case for most people in our office (finance), since 95% of what we do is on our work station (laptop).

Projections are like 67% vaccinated by July 4. Which is more than I though would get it ever honestly.

33% most definitely includes the Q followers, Capitol storming insurrectionists and the far left anti-vaxx’ers so you are down to a very small % - under 10% I would venture that haven’t been vaccinated that will. That’s pretty freaking good imo.

Again, not going to knock Biden for missing but I won’t give him a ton of credit for the effort - that goes to Big Pharma, who gets to not be a monster for a minute.

Projections are like 67% vaccinated by July 4. Which is more than I though would get it ever honestly.

33% most definitely includes the Q followers, Capitol storming insurrectionists and the far left anti-vaxx’ers so you are down to a very small % - under 10% I would venture that haven’t been vaccinated that will. That’s pretty freaking good imo.

Again, not going to knock Biden for missing but I won’t give him a ton of credit for the effort - that goes to Big Pharma, who gets to not be a monster for a minute.
    I think we'll pass the 46% fully vaccinated segment of this country by the end of the weekend and maybe, MAYBE, by the end of 4th of July weekend, we'll be at 48-49% mark of Americans fully vaccinated. Once we get pass 50% of Americans fully vaccinated, Ill be pleased and relieved because that's one extremely important, key benchmark, maybe the first, big one of future bigger intangible benchmarks to fall. When we break the 50% mark of full vaccinations, that means we're 3/4 of the journey home to achieving some form of herd immunity. I don't realistically see us reaching 70-75% full vaccination plateau by the end of August or mid-September, but if we have maybe 63-64%, perhaps 65% of this country having received full Covid-19 boosters by maybe end of October/early November, we won't be ravaged, and unmercifully affected by rising positive Covid19 tests, near-daily record hospitalizations and deaths this winter when the super-virus starts to become more susceptible to more people like last year.

I do, suspect however, that its plausible that we might see some of the QA'non or Capitol insurrectionist sympathizers biting the bullet because theyll justify saying Trump "did it himself and he left it up to every one of his individual followers to decide to get vaccinated or not" as a convenient cop-out to maintain or prevent their hardcore MAGA credentials from being "questioned". Others just might do it out of fear or terror after seeing some of their friends, family members test positive for Delta Covid variant and either die or barely survive, and are emotionally, psychologically scarred, MAGA convictions or misguided, deranged Trump loyalty be damned, they don't want to end up dead. Some MAGA diehards will likely quietly but eventually be partially or fully vaccinated, making a conscious choice them dying in large numbers due to more deadlier Delta or worse Covid variants while seeing relatively everyone else is happy and healthy doesn't wisely " serve their cause".

When faced with the stark, grave choices most individuals face concerning basic instincts regarding self-survival, even the most, fanatical types among us can, unsurprising, become very pragmatic in terms of some of their decision-making.

Last edited:
    I really doesn't get it. She is an ultrasound technologist so she examines patients. Some who may be vulnerable and unable to receive the vaccine. Here the doctors don't recommend that pregnant women in the last trimester receives the vaccine so an un-vaccinated ultrasound technologist would be a huge risc and a posible liability for the hospital she worked at

An ultrasound technologist who says she was fired by a Houston hospital because she wouldn't get vaccinated against the coronavirus told CNN on Wednesday, "I don't want to work for people like that. Don't take away my choice."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/23/us/houston-methodist-fired-employee/index.html?

I saw some tweets today, that said that half the people in UK who are currently dying of the Delta variant were vaccinated. What the tweets failed to acknowledge was that UK went with a modified vaccine rollout where they tried to get one shot in as many people as they could as quickly as they could, figuring they could go back and “catch up” later.

The problems with that approach are now becoming apparent. I’m very thankful the US didn’t choose that route, because there were some scientists pushing for it.

I saw some tweets today, that said that half the people in UK who are currently dying of the Delta variant were vaccinated. What the tweets failed to acknowledge was that UK went with a modified vaccine rollout where they tried to get one shot in as many people as they could as quickly as they could, figuring they could go back and “catch up” later.

The problems with that approach are now becoming apparent. I’m very thankful the US didn’t choose that route, because there were some scientists pushing for it.

Yep, for as jacked up as the last administration was, the FDA and CDC did a lot of good stuff in spite of Trump. And they're continuing to do it. The scientists and analysts doing all of the work behind the scenes are the real heroes imo.

Yes those with only one shot and not both are very vulnerable to the delta variant.

Interesting breakdown. not just politically but also geographically
    =====================================
    Out of American adults who responded to Gallup polling in June, 57 percent of Republicans said they believe the pandemic is over, compared to just four percent of Democrats. The remaining 35 percent identified as Independent.

The Gallup Organization, which has been conducting polling on Americans' perception of the coronavirus pandemic and its effect on their lives since April 2020, reported Monday on their latest data on Americans' Views of Pandemic in the U.S., which was collected between June 14 and 20.

Polling results dictated that while a record-high percentage of Americans now believe the pandemic is getting better in the United States, only 29 percent of adults (the majority of whom identified as Republicans) said they think it's over, versus 71 percent who said the crisis is ongoing..............

Over the span of the pandemic, more Republicans than Democrats have questioned the seriousness of the COVID-19 virus, likely following the lead of former president Donald Trump.

A further demographic breakdown showed more divisions in belief. Men were more likely than women to say the pandemic is over at 36 versus 22 percent. Eighteen to 34-year-olds were the least likely to believe the pandemic is at an end, as opposed to 35-54-year-olds. And those living in the Northeast were the least likely to believe COVID-19 is no longer a threat, compared to those living in the Midwest or the South...............

Didn't this guy see that Marjorie Taylor Greene who gets blasted for every stupid thing she says but never apologizes or walks anything back had to apologize and walk back her own vaccine/holocaust comparison?
    ====================================

Today in Wildly Inappropriate Holocaust Comparisons is the story of a Washington state lawmaker who wore a yellow Star of David to protest Covid-19 vaccine mandates. Republican state representative Jim Walsh posted a Facebook video showing him speaking to conservatives in a gym while wearing the Star.

“It’s an echo from history,” he wrote on Facebook. “In the current context, we’re all Jews.”.............

Not even surprised
    ===============

Anthony Fauci said on Sunday that he was horrified to hear the crowd at a conservative gathering this weekend cheering anti-vaccination comments.

"It's horrifying. I mean, they are cheering about someone saying that it's a good thing for people not to try and save their lives," Fauci told host Jake Tapper on CNN's "State of the Union," referring to the audience's reaction to remarks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas.

Fauci also said that it was "almost frightening" for people to say that they don't want health officials to save their lives.

"I mean, if you just unpack that for a second, Jake, it's almost frightening to say, 'Hey, guess what, we don't want you to do something to save your life,'" Fauci said……

Not even surprised
    ===============

Anthony Fauci said on Sunday that he was horrified to hear the crowd at a conservative gathering this weekend cheering anti-vaccination comments.

"It's horrifying. I mean, they are cheering about someone saying that it's a good thing for people not to try and save their lives," Fauci told host Jake Tapper on CNN's "State of the Union," referring to the audience's reaction to remarks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas.

Fauci also said that it was "almost frightening" for people to say that they don't want health officials to save their lives.

"I mean, if you just unpack that for a second, Jake, it's almost frightening to say, 'Hey, guess what, we don't want you to do something to save your life,'" Fauci said……

I'm not horrified. Might even be a good thing. If they want to wipe themselves out, I ain't gonna shed a tear for em.

Welp, TN has entered the anti-vax chat, and not just for the covid vaxxes. This is gqp lunacy...

Welp, TN has entered the anti-vax chat, and not just for the covid vaxxes. This is gqp lunacy...

(there is a follow-up tweet):
    The agency will also end all COVID-19 vaccine events at schools, even though they've mostly served adults. And, if teens get a two-dose vaccine, it won't remind them to go back for their second dose. Teens are intentionally stripped from the mailing list for reminder postcards.

(meanwhile in comments you have):

"don't get vaccines, they are harming and killing people"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom