All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

couldn't decide whether to put this here or in the Qanon thread

She's an idiot.

However, I'm not sure vaccine passports are a good idea. I'm torn. I don't want to get into all of it, but I do see the benefit of something like that in the short term. Just to allow certain activities safer, and to allow people to go without using a mask in certain things.

i.e. if you want to take a Cruise in June, you need to show that you've been vaccinated. Otherwise, you wait until October.

Longer term, I sure hope we have enough folks get vaccinated that we won't care. Just like with other diseases.

posted this on the EE
    ==================
    A fed-up Floridian is calling for a million state residents to march on April 10 to “mark that date with a celebration of freedom.”

“You are invited to the Million Maskless March and Mask Burning, Saturday April 10, 2021 at 3pm at the Corner of A1A and Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale!,” writes protest organizer Chris Nelson, who reportedly has “organized viral flash mobs at chain stores that re-popularized Twisted Sister’s protest anthem ‘We’re Not Gonna Take It.'”

“April 10 marks one year of mask tyranny in Broward County and we will mark that date with a celebration of freedom! It will feature recognition and prizes for those who have faithfully endured this last year, addresses from local leaders and activists and most importantly (and fun) a mask burning!” Nelson wrote.

The protest organizer says he’s got permission from authorities.

“The mask burning is in full cooperation with local law enforcement and will be done in a safe and controlled manner. Following the mask burning we will March north on A1A, make a sharp left at Seabreeze and march back to where we began. The event will be over by 5pm,” he wrote.

“April is a very busy time for Ft Lauderdale Beach and this is exactly why this location was chosen,” Nelson wrote. “Our goal is for people to see us and be inspired to join in!”

Nelson also said, “Signs are VERY important. Signs with three to six BIG BOLD WORDS are the best. “MASKS ARE SLAVERY”. “NO MORE MASKS”. “MASKS OFF CHILDREN”. “NO VACCINE PASSPORTS” are good examples.” And he stated: “This is a non partisan event but ALL political signs and flags are welcome!”.................

‘Million Maskless March’ And Mass Mask Burning Planned In Florida | The Daily Wire
    Like I said in the EE. They'll get like a hundred to a thousand people. This guy has been in some stores with like 10 people. It's not a big movement.

more on vaccine passports - this article is more political than the one I posted on the EE
    ===========================================================

The first thing to know about vaccine passports is that they’re not passports. They’re more like certificates, likely emerging in the form of scannable smartphone codes, that declare one thing and only one thing about their bearer: that they have gotten stuck in the arm the requisite number of times.

The second thing to know about vaccine passports is that they don’t even exist yet, at least not at any appreciable scale. The White House is working with private companies to develop standards for whatever products emerge, but the government isn’t crafting a little blue book with an N95-clad eagle embossed in gold that all civilians must carry wherever they go.

Vaccine passports have little to do with international travel (that’s another conversation) and more to do with everyday life right here where we already are: in our bars, ballparks and other businesses that want to open their doors wide again without risking outbreaks.

The Post reported on Sunday that 17 initiatives for covid credentials are in the works. This suggests the problem is less likely to be centralized surveillance of the citizenry and more likely to be a shambolic hodgepodge of protocols too confusing for businesses to enforce.

The next thing to know about vaccine passports is they’re about to start a war anyway.

All the usual marks of cultural crusading have already appeared: the claims about constitutionality puffed full of confidence but empty of context, the accusations of hypocrisy that are themselves hypocritical, the comparisons that defy critical thought.

“Let me get this straight,” tweeted Donald Trump Jr. “Some Democrats want American citizens to have a Vaccine Passport to travel freely within the United States but not an ID to vote?!? Clowns!!!” Three clown emojis followed for emphasis.

Democrats ask the same question but in reverse. Republicans turn hysterical over people carrying a card to the grocery store to stymie a deadly disease, but they insist on people carrying a card to the polling place to prevent systemic fraud that hasn’t been proven to exist?

Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.), meanwhile, reached into his lib-trolling grab-bag to pull out two pieces of historical hyperbole: The passport proposals “smack of 1940s Nazi Germany.” And President Biden “shares more commonalities with Leninism than liberalism.”...........

Opinion | Vaccine passports are the next front in the pandemic culture wars - The Washington Post

We need to call it the new made up thing 'Corporate Communism!' Says the one who wants businesses to be able to refuse service to gay people buying a wedding cake...lol

I wish they had made the vaccine cards wallet sized - they would have been easy enough to carry from the start.

This is bad for Yahoo:

The lead author of a study cited in a Yahoo News story about Covid-19 took to National Review on Tuesday to claim the publication had misrepresented his work.

The initial story authored by Yahoo‘s Alexander Nazaryan, titled, “Florida COVID numbers face new scrutiny,” suggested Florida had undercounted deaths related to Covid-19 by 4,924 between March and September 2020. Nazaryan claimed “researchers” said the deaths “should have been counted … but for the most part were ruled as having been caused by something else.”

However, Moosa Tatar, the lead author of the study Nazaryan cited, told NRO his work had been misrepresented. “The impact of Covid-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official Covid-19 data suggest,” Tatar said. “But we need further research to determine specific reasons for this. These deaths may have been directly or indirectly associated with COVID-19.”

Despite imposing relatively light restrictions related to the Covid-19 pandemic, Florida has reported a similar number of cases of the virus — 9,556 infections per 100,000 residents, according to a New York Times counter — than states that implemented strict rules, including New York (9,581) and California (9,279). New Jersey leads the nation in terms of virus-related deaths with 276 per 100,000 residents, followed by New York at 255. That figure in Florida stands at 155.

So, what he is saying is that the Florida deaths are significantly greater than the official state totals, but he disagrees with the reporter’s characterization that the cause is known. He’s a scientist, until he studies and determines the cause of the discrepancy, he’s going to take issue with that.

Why do you think this is a big deal?

Are we still talking about Florida? The state which tried to suppress the information that their covid reporting app was relaying (because it was reporting higher cases than the governor wanted it to show).

She was asked to manipulate the data, she refused and they fired her.

Are we still talking about Florida? The state which tried to suppress the information that their covid reporting app was relaying (because it was reporting higher cases than the governor wanted it to show).

What's new here? Didn't this happen months ago?

What's new here? Didn't this happen months ago?

yes, but look two posts above mine ^ people still talking about Florida. So it isn't really "new" information, about under-reporting etc, but for some reason FL keeps getting brought up. In some places it is held as an example of "FL did not have severe lockdown, but look how well it did" meanwhile "fl suppressed covid information to make it seem less terrible that it actually was" (my interpretation of events)

Last edited:

Oh, it got worse after that....DeSantis should be in jail....

Navarro is just a terrible human being.

I'm going to say something controversial for this board. He is being to simplistic but not wrong.

I haven't been a fan of Fauci since the mask debacle. He proved to me he would lie through his teeth, and put American lives at risk. Fauci was a proponent of gain of function research. He also states it wasn't a lab virus. It was an animal transmission, and then covid spent months circulating in China undetected. China has not produced proto-coronavirus samples when the virus should have been circulating in human populations for months. China has a lot of incentive to find this if it's true. It would kill the lab leak theory, and absolve them of some fault.

We also haven't found an animal reservoir that this virus originated from. In fact, the WHO said they thought this thing came from animal farms because china had them all shutdown. That little bit of circumstantial evidence is all they are going on.

This is a WAPO article talking about China's coverup:

P.S. I want to make it clear. I'm not saying it was a lab leak. We have no idea still on the origins of the virus. These people saying the lab leak theory is a conspiracy theory, and has been dismissed are wrong. I find it weird how hard the zoonotic origin theory has been pushed from the very beginning. I think some of this is political driven with the increase in Asian violence, and some CYA on the part of guys like Fauci.

Last edited:
    I'm going to say something controversial for this board. He is being to simplistic but not wrong.

I haven't been a fan of Fauci since the mask debacle. He proved to me he would lie through his teeth, and put American lives at risk. Fauci was a proponent of gain of function research. He also states it wasn't a lab virus. It was an animal transmission, and then covid spent months circulating in China undetected. China has not produced proto-coronavirus samples when the virus should have been circulating in human populations for months. China has a lot of incentive to find this if it's true. It would kill the lab leak theory, and absolve them of some fault.

We also haven't found an animal reservoir that this virus originated from. In fact, the WHO said they thought this thing came from animal farms because china had them all shutdown. That little bit of circumstantial evidence is all they are going on.

This is a WAPO article talking about China's coverup:

P.S. I want to make it clear. I'm not saying it was a lab leak. We have no idea still on the origins of the virus. These people saying the lab leak theory is a conspiracy theory, and has been dismissed are wrong. I find it weird how hard the zoonotic origin theory has been pushed from the very beginning. I think some of this is political driven with the increase in Asian violence, and some CYA on the part of guys like Fauci.

Navarro was being hyperbolic. There's no two ways about it. And I completely disagree about Fauci. He's one of the more pragmatic and reasonable experts out there.

And what exactly was the mask debacle? We all know the efficacy of masks vs Covid has been debated at length for months. It's clear they provide additional protection, but on their own, they've never been idiot proof. We still needed to social distance, and limit crowds for good reasons.

As for the origins of the virus. That was never Fauci's wheelhouse. He only has as much info as anyone else. As far as I know, he hasn't been to China and studied the origins of the virus.

And for Navarro to call him the virus is just stupid and absurd. Which, I guess coming from him isn't all that surprising.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom