All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

5-6 months vs summer is almost the same time frame though. Technically we're 4 months from the beginning of summer, but Summer would be the 4-6 month range. So, might be splitting hairs here. Think everyone is meaning the same general idea.
Both are still after the time frame that Osterholm gave for the next Covid spike due to the variants which remains my overall point.

It looks like one graph mentions first doses and the other overall doses per day.

I think Osterholm is a big proponent of skipping second doses and giving more people first doses, and I think his view was rejected by other scientists on Biden’s team. He’s worried about the variants, and the rest aren’t willing to take the gamble that he proposes. He is willing to gamble on incomplete vaccinations to get more people the first shot. Others have said that we can keep up with our ever increasing capacity and we don’t know for sure how much immunity one shot gives over the two.

It’s a scientific difference of opinion. If the outlook is as dire as Osterholm says, then a gamble may be in order. Others don’t see that dire of an outlook.

Both are still after the time frame that Osterholm gave for the next Covid spike due to the variants which remains my overall point.

Yeah, a spike is probably going to happen. The question will be how bad and widespread will it be, and whether the current vaccine will keep it reasonably manageable. Time will tell I guess.

Okay, I see that, thanks SFL. So I think I see the issue. For one, it’s calculating on total population, including children, it seems to me.

And, it’s assuming an average of 800,000 doses per day. We are far exceeding that now. You can see from the chart I posted from the CDC that we were averaging 1.6 million doses per day before the weather hit. The briefing today talked about a significant increase of available doses within the next couple of weeks as well.

Adult pop. in US is what, about 200 million? We could be close to that in 100 days if we can sustain that 2 million per day rate which will be possible shortly. So I would say we can see benefits from herd immunity by mid summer, and that most people who want a vaccination will at least have their first shot by then. My state is already seeing benefits with the 70+ crowd.

We are also not seeing a lot of reinfection just yet from these variants. It may still happen, but I would think we would be seeing it in some locations by now. I think there is reason to be cautiously optimistic here.

Dr. Gotleib said yesterday that he expected meaningful herd immunity to start showing up by April. That would be good.

Are you saying that people who live in Israel but are not Jewish aren’t getting vaccinated?

This article from BBC may explain some of the issues about palestinian living in Israeli occupied territory

Whose responsibility is it to vaccinate Palestinians?
The United Nations (UN) human rights body has released a statement saying it's Israel's responsibility to provide equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines for Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank.
The body says differential access is "morally and legally" unacceptable under international law laid out in the Geneva Conventions on the regulation of occupied territories.

https://www.bbc.com/news/55800921

This article from BBC may explain some of the issues about palestinian living in Israeli occupied territory

https://www.bbc.com/news/55800921

Thanks, I do agree Israel should provide equitable vaccine access to those areas. I'm just wondering what the logistical challenges are in getting it into those areas. Who is providing security in those areas to ensure the deliveries are made and supplies are distributed properly?

I have no idea and just asking.

It's not hard to acknowledge their wrongdoings. But that wasn't the discussion until you brought it up. But anyway, I asked my questions in my last post.

It is part of the discussion when a graphic is presented that shows Israel way ahead of everyone in covid vaccines, and yet, they are pulling a Cuomo and not counting the Palestinians they oppress in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom