All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

DE843F7E-76C2-4C43-8BCE-B47A66E8FA99.png
    Get a letter from your mechanic stating you have a condition that doesn’t allow you put chains on your tires

Residents of Lakewood Ranch and other well-off neighborhoods in East Manatee will have special access to COVID-19 vaccines, after Gov. Ron DeSantis reached out to Lakewood Ranch’s developer and offered to set up an exclusive vaccination site, according to Manatee County Commissioner Vanessa Baugh.

Baugh confirmed that health workers at the Premier Sports Campus site in Lakewood Ranch are scheduled to inoculate 1,000 residents a day from Wednesday to Friday.

“We’ll have 3,000 more residents receiving the vaccine,” Baugh said. “I think this is a positive all around.”

If it was any other Governor, I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but being that it is DeSantis, it just reeks of preferential treatment. Couple that with the decision to set up the vaccination site at Lakewood Ranch comes with no explanation, I mean, if the decision was a scientific one it wouldn't be so susceptible to criticism.

If it was any other Governor, I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but being that it is DeSantis, it just reeks of preferential treatment. Couple that with the decision to set up the vaccination site at Lakewood Ranch comes with no explanation, I mean, if the decision was a scientific one it wouldn't be so susceptible to criticism.

People are rightly excoriating Cuomo for hiding the Covid reality in NY nursing homes, yet DeSantis gets a pass for blatantly lying about his entire state's Covid response?
    Going so far as to fire, then harass his original data collator because she wouldn't go along with the coverup.
    If Cuomo has to go, 'ol Ron needs to go so hard he bounces.

People are rightly excoriating Cuomo for hiding the Covid reality in NY nursing homes, yet DeSantis gets a pass for blatantly lying about his entire state's Covid response?
    Going so far as to fire, then harass his original data collator because she wouldn't go along with the coverup.
    That won't happen because Cuomo and DeSantis are judged by different standards by their voters.

I don't have a problem with NY bouncing Cuomo but I think ol' Ron should go to jail....

Louisiana finally recognized that teachers should be considered front line workers if they expect them to teach school in person and they became eligible yesterday to get vaccinated starting Monday. I was so happy for my sister when I saw that. Then yesterday evening, she sent me a text that said there aren't any available appointments for teachers for weeks and she just has to keep calling back everyday to find out when she can get it. It'd be nice if they thought about logistics before hand and not after they've got a mess on their hands.

Louisiana finally recognized that teachers should be considered front line workers if they expect them to teach school in person and they became eligible yesterday to get vaccinated starting Monday. I was so happy for my sister when I saw that. Then yesterday evening, she sent me a text that said there aren't any available appointments for teachers for weeks and she just has to keep calling back everyday to find out when she can get it. It'd be nice if they thought about logistics before hand and not after they've got a mess on their hands.

Yeah, but I would imagine this is a pretty fluid situation and the logistics will always lag somewhat behind policy changes. These things can't turn on a dime. Sort of like using a rudder to turn a large ship in a different direction. But hopefully this is days and not weeks to get resources redirected.

Yeah, but I would imagine this is a pretty fluid situation and the logistics will always lag somewhat behind policy changes. This things can't turn on a dime. Sort of like using a rudder to turn a large ship in a different direction. But hopefully this is days and not weeks to get resources redirected.
    I saw a story about a couple from Alabama who traveled 1000 miles total to get vaccinated in MS. (MS, of course, singled out LA in making a statement about how LA residents can't get vaccinated in MS). The doctor at the hospital where they got it was interviewed about vaccinating people he knew weren't from MS and said, "It's not like we would turn them away if they had to travel here for an operation, so why should we turn them away when it comes to potentially saving their lives?" Dude has a point. Making this a state by state issue is ridiculous. Any US citizen should be able to get a vaccination in any US state as long as they meet the criteria. States sitting on a surplus of vaccine should be shipping it to states with diminished reserves. Why make this harder than it has to be?

I saw a story about a couple from Alabama who traveled 1000 miles total to get vaccinated in MS. (MS, of course, singled out LA in making a statement about how LA residents can't get vaccinated in MS). The doctor at the hospital where they got it was interviewed about vaccinating people he knew weren't from MS and said, "It's not like we would turn them away if they had to travel here for an operation, so why should we turn them away when it comes to potentially saving their lives?" Dude has a point. Making this a state by state issue is ridiculous. Any US citizen should be able to get a vaccination in any US state as long as they meet the criteria. States sitting on a surplus of vaccine should be shipping it to states with diminished reserves. Why make this harder than it has to be?

Yeah, this is a direct result of the "us vs them" tribalism that exists in politics today. It's made harder precisely for that reason.

Yeah, but I would imagine this is a pretty fluid situation and the logistics will always lag somewhat behind policy changes. These things can't turn on a dime. Sort of like using a rudder to turn a large ship in a different direction. But hopefully this is days and not weeks to get resources redirected.
    Agree.

Now, if they're smart, they'll do it like how a lot of health care provides set it up. They just scheduled their work force, secured the doses, and administered it.

So, like my wife's mental health / addiction center was able to get all of their clients (who live there and all are HIV+), and the medical / therapy staff and interns doses. They scheduled it for a Friday, everyone got their shot. Then they came back 3 weeks later for shot 2.

To me, it would be easier for the school districts to coordinate with the department of health and secure something for their teachers. Then let the 65+ group still sign up at whatever distribution sites are open. If you throw teachers into that same gen pop mix, it will be a cluster, and you'll have a lot of teachers unable to secure a shot.

That being said, it looks like with proper protocols, and allowing students to maintain online learning as an option, the schools have done a good job of not having spread. It's the schools that go full tilt in person, no online, screw the rona... that have issues.

Unfortunately a lot of eligible people are declining to take the vaccine. Hopefully that changes over time. At least this is good news:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom