All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

The restrictions themselves are not Orwellian. What seems Orwellian to me are people who are calling Trump a dictator, authoritarian, fascist, etc. while forcing Americans to cancel graduations, funerals, weddings, and now Thanksgiving family gatherings.
And it seems even more Orwellian when those same people do not abide by the rules they impose on others.

Hypocritical behavior (do as I say and not as I do) is unacceptable - it’s a failure of leadership and it sucks.

But certainly you recognize that social measures in the midst of an acute viral outbreak is not the same as a general, authoritarian approach to governance.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm pretty sure you just circled the entire country. Or may as well have because it's about to go down.
Looks like they listened to my complaint..lol.

1605761178108.png

1605761196998.png

Hypocritical behavior (do as I say and not as I do) is unacceptable - it’s a failure of leadership and it sucks.

But certainly you recognize that social measures in the midst of an acute viral outbreak is not the same as a general, authoritarian approach to governance.

My guess is he wants to pretend he doesn't, but knows better....

The NY Times homepage shows this as a gif over time. Not sure if I can copy it here.

Here are the stationary graphics.

1605806662159.png

1605806751845.png

These are better to view as the graphic.

1605806814666.png

1605806878512.png

This one you really have to watch. I can't see a way to link this here..

1605806942983.png

The wave of new restrictions in the United States follows national and regional lockdowns in Europe, where outbreaks surged past their spring peaks but cases per capita remained lower than many Upper Midwest states. A couple weeks into those lockdowns, countries with new restrictions may be seeing results: The rate of new daily cases has begun to level off or drop in France, Spain, Germany and Italy, though it continues to rise in the United Kingdom.

Mr. Hale said the Oxford data makes it clear that acting quickly and forcefully is the best shot governments have to combat the virus. And the more swiftly they can act, the shorter any lockdown-style policies need to be.

Some countries that implemented fast, early restrictions and robust test-and-trace programs have seen the most success. New Zealand recently lifted all restrictions following 10 days with no new cases. New Zealand’s prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, called it a validation of the country’s “go hard, go early” strategy, in which the country reacts rapidly to signs of community spread.

Oh good, now the brilliant folks at Fox have opinions on Mardi Gras parades. They're actually safe because they're socially distanced and bars are not involved.

tenor.gif

"I'd like to invite you back to Mardi Gras" I'm gonna stop you there. Because the next two things that come out of your dumb mouth proves that you have never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleanns.

Last edited:
Oh good, now the brilliant folks at Fox have opinions on Mardi Gras parades. They're actually safe because they're socially distanced and bars are not involved.

Sounds like what a husband told his wife Mardi Gras was like when he was in NO on a business trip

"Oh no honey, you heard wrong, it was a classy tea and crumpet kind of thing"

So Biden is having (organizing?) a virtual meeting with both Republican and Democratic governors to discuss the pandemic today (he may be doing it now)

Is there any way trump can claim something like Biden is meddling/interfering since he never conceded and officially the transition isn't taking place

Therefore Biden has no right to reach out to the governors to discuss current or future actions or policies?
=================================================

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) -- Joe Biden's meeting Thursday with a group of Democratic and Republican governors is his latest attempt to fight through President Donald Trump's unprecedented attempt to block the president-elect's transition to power.

Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris planned a virtual session in the afternoon with the National Governors Association's leadership team, which includes five Republicans and four Democrats. All the Democrats and a majority of the Republicans involved have acknowledged Biden as the winner of the White House election..................

They ain't never been in one of them crowds.

I'd average, at least hopping between 3 different bars, but often it would be closer to 5-8, with some being repeats. Depends on how far I decided to walk.

The NY Times homepage shows this as a gif over time. Not sure if I can copy it here.

Here are the stationary graphics.

These are better to view as the graphic.

This one you really have to watch. I can't see a way to link this here..

Don't worry, the "pretend it doesn't exist" method is going to work, you'll see.

If I have one complaint about Mardi Gras, it's how people are so spread out and there's always so much room to move around.

Don't worry, the "pretend it doesn't exist" method is going to work, you'll see.

If I have one complaint about Mardi Gras, it's how people are so spread out and there's always so much room to move around.
Ocean of Humanity and shoulder to shoulder, of course, are ways to describe sparse crowds. ;)

Actually, wait, I figured it out.

I understand why they think Mardi Gras in New Orleans isn't that crowded and socially distanced.

It's because "these people" are the people who show up with the "you're going to hell, if you're a catholic, liar, thief, adulterer, drunkard...." folks, and other than making fun of them, we mostly do stay away from them.

So, if that's the only experience they have, well...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom