All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I guess the 68% of unvaccinated blacks in NYC are republicans. Got it
    The case could be made that if something like majority of the white people are vaccinated and a low % of black people are vaccinated, then a racist point could be brought up, but when both are such low percentile, that the article is just reaching and trying to say "look, democrats are being racist"...

Since you’re too busy to read the article, I’ll help you out.
    A lower percentage of minorities are vaccinated in NYC compared to whites.

Disparate impact:​

• Typically, disparate impact is considered when a policy that is unintentionally discriminatory becomes discriminatory when put into practice. To explore this concept, consider the following disparate impact definition. An unintentionally discriminatory policy that adversely impacts an otherwise protected class of people
    I read it.

Firstly, it's an opinion column.

Secondly, it's a poorly written and thought out opinion column. It misrepresents how disparate impact analysis is applied; it's an important factor that should be taken into proper account, not an instant disqualifier. You appear to have taken your definition, above, from here: https://legaldictionary.net/disparate-impact/ . If you read the rest of it, you would see that a policy being necessary to achieve a particular goal - in this case, that would be public health - is a valid defense.

I would add that in this instance, an individual can avoid being affected by the policy by getting vaccinated. That would not be comparable with many instances where disparate impact analysis is applied, where avoiding the discriminatory effect would require an individual change, for example, their ethnicity.

Thirdly, while the misunderstanding of disparate impact may be unintentional due to a lack of comprehension and consideration, the misrepresentation of comparison to school discipline rules at the end of the column is clearly intentional. It states, as follows, "That administration targeted “zero tolerance” rules in student discipline because “students of color … are disproportionately impacted by zero-tolerance policies.”

Note that '...' indicating a section of the quote left out. What was the content of that? This:

"Regrettably, students of color are receiving different and harsher disciplinary punishments than whites for the same or similar infractions, and they are disproportionately impacted by zero-tolerance policies." (source)

Dishonestly shoddy stuff.

To conclude, while a disproportional impact on minorities from a vaccination requirement is a valid consideration to take into account, and clearly underscores a need to improve vaccination rates amongst those minorities (and note that the policy itself is intended to drive increased vaccination uptake), attempting to use it to score points against "the Left and the media" in the ill-considered manner the opinion column takes as outlined above is shameful stuff.

Since you’re too busy to read the article, I’ll help you out.
    A lower percentage of minorities are vaccinated in NYC compared to whites.

Disparate impact:​

• Typically, disparate impact is considered when a policy that is unintentionally discriminatory becomes discriminatory when put into practice. To explore this concept, consider the following disparate impact definition. An unintentionally discriminatory policy that adversely impacts an otherwise protected class of people
    That's not how disparate impact works. There is no discretion at work by the government entity here unlike scenarios where disparate impact actually does apply, i.e., hiring and such.

This 'article' is basically just a few substantive paragraphs of schlocky forum trolling-esque quips.

Last edited:
    That's not how disparate impact works. There is no discretion at work by the government entity here unlike scenarios where disparate impact actually does apply, i.e., hiring and such.

This 'article' is basically just a few substantive paragraphs of schlocky forum trolling-esque quips.

I wrote all that, and you have to go and do it in three sentences? Sheesh, some people.

The guy is an immature bloated puffer-fish C-List version of Trump. I didn't hear him complain when Biden was down there after the condo collapse.

It's funny to watch these idiots think they can fight the realities of science and the natural world with political bluster. You can't debate a virus, Ron.

The case could be made that if something like majority of the white people are vaccinated and a low % of black people are vaccinated, then a racist point could be brought up, but when both are such low percentile, that the article is just reaching and trying to say "look, democrats are being racist"...
    Sadly, victimhood culture is real. I also realized some may say it is racist to point that out. But if they do they are making my point.
    We need a better paradigm to deal with racist white America. A new strategy is sorely needed.

If kids start dying I'm worried about the unvaccinated turning on politicians, media and friends/families who advised them not to get the shot, not to have mask mandates
    As someone has already pointed out, I don't believe that will ever happen. The wrong will never admit they were wrong even as their child or spouse lay dying in a hospital. They'll just double down and find a way to blame the people who were actually trying to help them. I can see one of them being interviewed and blaming demoncrats for their child dying.
    I'm concerned about violence from vaccinated parents of too young to be vaccinated children (who are in ICU or have passed) against the unvaccinated parents
    Now this, this I could see happening and quite frankly, I wouldn't give a damn if it did. I want to see the unvaccinated forced out of public places and if I had my way, the unvaccinated wouldn't be eligible to receive treatment for Covid if they got infected. If there is a medical reason for not getting vaccinated, that's understandable. Not getting vaccinated because you are an f'ing imbecile who thinks they know more than doctors and people who have spent their lives in the field doing research, then take your arse home and mix you up some vinegar and cat piss because you read on Facebook that it works against the virus.

Unvaccinated by choice individuals shouldn't be allowed to put the people who are putting their lives on the line to treat them in danger to try to save their lives due to their choice. They should have to live with or die for their choice.

Racism gets way better when one side gets to know the other side and then most realize we are all more or less the same. However, if we keep the walls up and constantly demonize the other side we will never get there.
    The North Dakotans (Dakotians?) will pay for the wall!

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I want it to be true.

Reading further, the lady who posted this says her son works at the Lowe’s in Springfield, MO. So this may be a local thing.

Last edited:
    I do wonder if HMO's are putting pressure on large employers? Does anyone know if that's the case? At the end of the day, HMO/PP0 providers are the ones who have to insure these people. The average covid hospital stay is lengthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom