All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Schools start opening soon, we’ll see how bad this gets
    ===================
    Schools across the country are considering mask mandates as they chart a path toward allowing students to return in the coming weeks.

And in some coronavirus hot spots, they find themselves caught between guidance from the federal government to wear masks in the classroom to stop the spread — and laws passed by Republican governors that limit such requirements.

In Florida, Broward County Public Schools reversed course this week on its decision to mandate masks for students, staff and visitors indoors after Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) issued an executive order allowing the state’s education official to withhold funds to school boards that impose mask mandates on students.

In Arizona, a court hearing is scheduled on Wednesday in a lawsuit filed by a high school biology teacher challenging a decision by the Phoenix Union High School District to require masks indoors.

The teacher — in the state where Gov. Doug Ducey (R) has banned schools from mandating masks — has argued that the district does not have this authority.

But in Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) called for state legislators to gather for a special session on Wednesday to provide an exception to the state’s ban on mask mandates.

Hutchinson seeks to allow schools to require face coverings as the state battles rising cases fueled by the more contagious delta variant.
As Arkansas officials described surging infection rates among children in the state, Hutchinson said he regretted signing the bill months earlier. “In hindsight, I wish that it had not become law,” he said at a news conference Tuesday……..

I feel like all these no mask laws should have been challenged by now. It seems…unethical…to punish schools for responding to a public health situation. If someone’s kid catches covid and has a bad case, can that parent take action against the school?

I feel like all these no mask laws should have been challenged by now. It seems…unethical…to punish schools for responding to a public health situation. If someone’s kid catches covid and has a bad case, can that parent take action against the school?
    It seems like if the governor or legislative body prevents mask mandates they could sue the state.

It seems like if the governor or legislative body prevents mask mandates they could sue the state.
    Yep, this is the answer. The state will have to answer for this, not individual school districts who were not allowed to respond to the crisis.

Honestly Optimus, as a teacher I think this year is going to be very bad. Delta being as transmissible as the flu is concerning, because that puts it into the air that much easier. While masks and everything done help, it will still spread, and if not at school it will as kids get together to play and do homework after school. Also on the first round it was adults and generally older or sicker adults who passed. Now this is hitting kids. Parents may be fools when it comes to them, but wait until kids start ending up on vents and dying. How many schools are going to be able to go through having a student die and life goes on? Not many I assume. I’ve had kids get caught up in gang shootings and near killed. It messes up a class pretty badly. I cant imagine a healthy kid dying.

Honestly Optimus, as a teacher I think this year is going to be very bad. Delta being as transmissible as the flu is concerning, because that puts it into the air that much easier. While masks and everything done help, it will still spread, and if not at school it will as kids get together to play and do homework after school. Also on the first round it was adults and generally older or sicker adults who passed. Now this is hitting kids. Parents may be fools when it comes to them, but wait until kids start ending up on vents and dying. How many schools are going to be able to go through having a student die and life goes on? Not many I assume. I’ve had kids get caught up in gang shootings and near killed. It messes up a class pretty badly. I cant imagine a healthy kid dying.
    The fact that we need to have this discussion makes me sad for humanity.

Now this is hitting kids. Parents may be fools when it comes to them, but wait until kids start ending up on vents and dying. How many schools are going to be able to go through having a student die and life goes on? Not many I assume. I’ve had kids get caught up in gang shootings and near killed. It messes up a class pretty badly. I cant imagine a healthy kid dying.

I think this could be a game changing trigger

I'm worried about this, if there is a huge uptick in hospitalized and dying children

I'm concerned about violence from vaccinated parents of too young to be vaccinated children (who are in ICU or have passed) against the unvaccinated parents

If kids start dying I'm worried about the unvaccinated turning on politicians, media and friends/families who advised them not to get the shot, not to have mask mandates

My worse case scenario has the potential of getting really ugly

I think this could be a game changing trigger

I'm worried about this, if there is a huge uptick in hospitalized and dying children

I'm concerned about violence from vaccinated parents of too young to be vaccinated children (who are in ICU or have passed) against the unvaccinated parents

If kids start dying I'm worried about the unvaccinated turning on politicians, media and friends/families who advised them not to get the shot, not to have mask mandates

My worse case scenario has the potential of getting really ugly

Honestly, I don't see that one happening. The ones who ignore science are mostly set in their ways and would never admit they were wrong.
    The sooner the vaccine is FDA approved, the sooner the schools can mandate the vaccine for attendance. It should not be any different than the requirements for all other vaccines.

Honestly, I don't see that one happening. The ones who ignore science are mostly set in their ways and would never admit they were wrong.
    The sooner the vaccine is FDA approved, the sooner the schools can mandate the vaccine for attendance. It should not be any different than the requirements for all other vaccines.

I agree. But there's a chance that their kids being involved may change that (for some at least)

That wouldn't change the first scenario, angry, grief stricken vaccinated parents looking for someone to blame for their sick/dying kids

Their gleefully unvaccinated unmasked neighbors are a good target, as are the politicians that not only refused to put mandates in place but banned schools from doing it on their own

You did seem to imply that the POC who are lagging in vaccination are not Republicans. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I implied that the majority of the city is not republican, like most big urban cities
    Nice job of deflecting
    Do you have any thoughts on the article I posted?
    Is the city’s policy racist given the lagging vaccination rates of POC?

Mask should be mandatory in all school districts until the vaccine is approved for school age children. In districts where it's not allowed because of their idiot governers executive actions, they should have all parents declare before the school year whether or not their children will be masked. Then try as best as possible to separate masked and unmasked students. By classroom if possible or at least by partitions if necessary.

All teachers should be vaccinated and masked. After 600,000 deaths and now this delta variant, I don't understand how people can continue to be so obtuse and ignorant, but I'm tired of accommodating them.

Mask should be mandatory in all school districts until the vaccine is approved for school age children. In districts where it's not allowed because of their idiot governers executive actions, they should have all parents declare before the school year whether or not their children will be masked. Then try as best as possible to separate masked and unmasked students. By classroom if possible or at least by partitions if necessary.

All teachers should be vaccinated and masked. After 600,000 deaths and now this delta variant, I don't understand how people can continue to be so obtuse and ignorant, but I'm tired of accommodating them.
    No argument here.

I implied that the majority of the city is not republican, like most big urban cities
    Nice job of deflecting
    Do you have any thoughts on the article I posted?
    Is the city’s policy racist given the lagging vaccination rates of POC?
    That’s not a deflection. I’m not the only one who took your statement to mean that the people not being vaccinated in NY were not Republicans.

I haven’t read the article. Tell me this, though. If people have the opportunity to be vaccinated and choose to not use that opportunity, how is that a racist policy?

Racism would be to deny POC the vaccine as a function of their race, would it not?

Just like the feds should let the states decide, the states should let the school districts decide. It's insane anti-science QAnon Trumpism nonsense to take that choice away from the school districts.
    The GOP has always been about Federalism for thee but not for me. Or maybe I should have phrased that the other way around... you get the idea!

That’s not a deflection. I’m not the only one who took your statement to mean that the people not being vaccinated in NY were not Republicans.

I haven’t read the article. Tell me this, though. If people have the opportunity to be vaccinated and choose to not use that opportunity, how is that a racist policy?

Racism would be to deny POC the vaccine as a function of their race, would it not?
    Since you’re too busy to read the article, I’ll help you out.
    A lower percentage of minorities are vaccinated in NYC compared to whites.

Disparate impact:​

• Typically, disparate impact is considered when a policy that is unintentionally discriminatory becomes discriminatory when put into practice. To explore this concept, consider the following disparate impact definition. An unintentionally discriminatory policy that adversely impacts an otherwise protected class of people

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom