All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (7 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

This article goes into the origins of Covid, and the campaign to push a zoonotic origin while discrediting lab leak. It's a long read, but really good.

This article goes into the origins of Covid, and the campaign to push a zoonotic origin while discrediting lab leak. It's a long read, but really good.

That is a very long read! I got through about 1/5th of it, and you’re right that it is very good. I will probably finish it later. I always suspected that it could’ve escaped the lab, and after reading that section of the article, I’m more convinced that that what happened. I’d like to learn more about the Andersen and Daszak papers that the article undercuts.

Here comes the people lying about being vaccinated...

Screenshot_20210513-133942.png

Last edited by a moderator:
    Here comes the people lying about being vaccinated...

Screenshot_20210513-133942.png

Oh for sure the liars are going to come out.

Thankfully, the guidance says that as an fully vaccinated person, I don't have to care if they all kill themselves, as I'll be just fine.

Oh for sure the liars are going to come out.

Thankfully, the guidance says that as an fully vaccinated person, I don't have to care if they all kill themselves, as I'll be just fine.
    It was the right thing to do to relax the mask standard for vaccinated people. I thought it didn’t seem logical that vaccinated people were a threat. I’m vaccinated, but I still wear my mask to help others feel comfortable. I’ll do it for at least a month or 2 more. Once I believe everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine, then I’ll start going maskless. Most probably will go maskless even sooner, and undoubtedly many will not be vaccinated. Those unvaccinated people are most likely the anti-Vaxers, and I think they’ll continue to keep the virus spreading at a low level. They’ll eventually come around, or suffer the consequences.

It was the right thing to do to relax the mask standard for vaccinated people. I thought it didn’t seem logical that vaccinated people were a threat. I’m vaccinated, but I still wear my mask to help others feel comfortable. I’ll do it for at least a month or 2 more. Once I believe everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine, then I’ll start going maskless. Most probably will go maskless even sooner, and undoubtedly many will not be vaccinated. Those unvaccinated people are most likely the anti-Vaxers, and I think they’ll continue to keep the virus spreading at a low level. They’ll eventually come around, or suffer the consequences.

My only issue with going maskless before today is I hadn’t seen confirmation on how much vaccinated folks could spread it. I understood how it didn’t seem logical, but I didn’t want to be a risk to anyone. My attitude all along has been to follow the CDC guidelines.

My main thing now is going to be to make sure if I’m walking by someone with a mask, that mine is also on. I have never had a problem wearing one, and I feel like it’s the right thing to be respectful of others preference.

Posted this on SR:
    Had my annual checkup today, it’s the first thing my doctor brought up. He said despite the ~50% number in Louisiana, about 80-90% of his patients have been vaccinated.
    I feel like people who go see/talk to their doctor are more likely to get it, but didn’t go down that road with him. I just appreciated he was going to take the time to discuss it with me.

But the part about seeing your doctor - I just really feel like anytime someone won’t get it, they just haven’t talked to a doctor about it. I mean, it’s important enough my doctor brought it up before we even started anything else.
    People saying it’s too politicized aren’t going to go see their senator for a broken arm, so why are they listening to them for this?

Interesting article
    ================
    ......And for that, we need the help of prominent Republicans.

We don’t need them to do much. They just have to do two things, one of which most of them have almost certainly already done.

First, they have to get vaccinated. Second, they have to tell everyone — especially their own supporters — that they’ve been vaccinated.

They don’t have to become crusaders. They don’t have to attack the anti-vaxxers among their own allies. They just have to be role models.

Yet at the moment, many of them are treating vaccination like some kind of shameful secret they have to conceal......

We’ve never before treated vaccination as a matter of inviolable privacy; children across the country are required to be vaccinated before coming to public school.

What’s more, public officials give up all kinds of privacy to run for office, making lengthy disclosures about income, debts, and assets.

And if I’m your co-worker, don’t I have a right to know whether you pose a danger to me and my family?

Finally, what exactly would be revealed by saying, “Yes, I got vaccinated?” In what universe would that be a shameful secret for anyone?

We know the unfortunate answer: in the Republican universe. And that’s the real reason so many GOP members of Congress don’t want to say......

This is the kind of shirt that vaccination is up against.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this video...

"what you just said" = "What I just read"

at this point, I have ZERO remorse for any eligible unvaccinated people who die or have severe medical issues from covid.

I feel the same. My personal opinion is if your state has allowed anyone 16+ to get the vaccine for 60 days. It's time to fully reopen. I think there has been some moving of the goalpost. The goal was simply not to overwhelm our hospital system. We can't protect the anti-vaxx crowd from themselves. We will reach herd immunity one way, or the other.

I feel the same. My personal opinion is if your state has allowed anyone 16+ to get the vaccine for 60 days. It's time to fully reopen. I think there has been some moving of the goalpost. The goal was simply not to overwhelm our hospital system. We can't protect the anti-vaxx crowd from themselves. We will reach herd immunity one way, or the other.

Well, at this point it hasn't even been 30 days. But yeah, I mostly agree.

Well, at this point it hasn't even been 30 days. But yeah, I mostly agree.
    Yea when Louisiana lifted the mask mandate, I felt it should have gone another month. Only because of the J&J pause.
    Beyond that, yea, the goalposts are being moved largely to protect those who don’t want to be.
    I do feel bad for anyone who can’t get a vaccine and has to deal with the anti-vaccine nonsense though.

Yea when Louisiana lifted the mask mandate, I felt it should have gone another month. Only because of the J&J pause.
    Beyond that, yea, the goalposts are being moved largely to protect those who don’t want to be.
    I do feel bad for anyone who can’t get a vaccine and has to deal with the anti-vaccine nonsense though.

Yeah, there are a small number that can't get the vaccine for whatever reason through no fault of their own. If everyone else would do their part, we can better protect that small number. But that 20% of the population still being irresponsible idiots makes protecting the innocent ones hard to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom