All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Minimum wage doesn’t add to the price tag of the bill since it isn’t a government expense. In fact, higher wages equals more taxes paid, equals net positive receipts for the government.

Minimum wage doesn’t add to the price tag of the bill since it isn’t a government expense. In fact, higher wages equals more taxes paid, equals net positive receipts for the government.

Well, there are administrative expenses, which can be substantial, for updating the minimum wage. All of the labor rules touching on minimum wage would have to be updated, a lot of documents would have to be sent explaining the rules changes, and all of the public announcements would have to be sent to every business. That ultimately going to add up. Those are all acceptable expenses related to increasing the minimum wage. I'm not so sure it would be revenue neutral. Time will tell on that.

Well, there are administrative expenses, which can be substantial, for updating the minimum wage. All of the labor rules touching on minimum wage would have to be updated, a lot of documents would have to be sent explaining the rules changes, and all of the public announcements would have to be sent to every business. That ultimately going to add up. Those are all acceptable expenses related to increasing the minimum wage. I'm not so sure it would be revenue neutral. Time will tell on that.

I doubt any of that is in the COVID relief bill though. I don’t know for certain, but it feels like that would be part of the agency budgets. However, even if the costs were in the bill I don’t think it would even be a blip on the 1.9 trillion price tag.

In terms of revenue neutral, I can’t imagine the cost is anything substantial. It’s a lot of red tape but it’s mostly things they’d have to do anyway in one way or another.

I doubt any of that is in the COVID relief bill though. I don’t know for certain, but it feels like that would be part of the agency budgets. However, even if the costs were in the bill I don’t think it would even be a blip on the 1.9 trillion price tag.

In terms of revenue neutral, I can’t imagine the cost is anything substantial. It’s a lot of red tape but it’s mostly things they’d have to do anyway in one way or another.

Trust me, there's little efficient about the federal government when it comes to red tape. :hihi: It's not going to be more than 1% of this bill, but...1% of $1.9 trillion is still an awful lot of money.

If you file your 2020 taxes before the IRS starts processing payments it will use your 2020 taxes. If they vote this weekend it will probably be too late because the IRS will start processing them early next week and I’m not sure the timing for getting it into the IRS system.
    Again, 75-100k in Mamou, LA is not the same in SF, NYC, or DC. Dems just played into Republican hands by cutting 7M voters out of a check. What was the popular vote margin again? Dumb.

They kept pension bailouts, farm loan forgiveness, and PPP but cut out people in HCOL areas (often the most impacted by Covid) who got a Trump check. That’s how you lose elections.

The bigger change, for me, that will make me file and amended return is the 10k non-taxed from Unemployment benefits. I don't think I even had 10k in total unemployment.
    This is another dumb decision. If you made 75k in wages and 10k in UI, you get stimulus check and only taxed on 75k. If you made 85k in wages, you get no stimulus and taxed on the full amount. The tax and stimulus difference is about $3900 for the same income.

This is another dumb decision. If you made 75k in wages and 10k in UI, you get stimulus check and only taxed on 75k. If you made 85k in wages, you get no stimulus and taxed on the full amount. The tax and stimulus difference is about $3900 for the same income.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I mean, if it were me, just make the cutoff 100k and give people the option of using their 2019 or 2020 returns. People who live in those high cost areas are feeling the pinch too. It's not gonna add all that much to the price tag, relatively speaking.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Wednesday used procedural tactics to hold up congressional business, this time to delay the House's vote on President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus stimulus package.

She introduced a motion to adjourn the House just as the chamber prepared to begin debate on the COVID-19 bill. That forced every representative to vote on whether to keep the House in session, a long process that pushed back a vote on the stimulus legislation.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Wednesday used procedural tactics to hold up congressional business, this time to delay the House's vote on President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus stimulus package.

She introduced a motion to adjourn the House just as the chamber prepared to begin debate on the COVID-19 bill. That forced every representative to vote on whether to keep the House in session, a long process that pushed back a vote on the stimulus legislation.

You forced a vote to see where people would vote before...they voted on it?

I can't imagine there are a lot of people in that specific category.

I'm a weird one, where I actually would be in that category, if not married. I got just under 10k in unemployment, and if I were single, I'd make too much for the stimulus. But, to be honest, if it were just me, I wouldn't need it.

Heck, we really don't need this next check, it just helps to recoup the lost wages I had from last summer, and the fact that my wife stopped working to finish her masters. So, it's a nice to have thing, and with this one, I'll actually likely stimulate the economy a bit, and also check on some close friends, if they need help.

FYI... if anyone is in the Zachary area or willing to come to Zachary, we'll be administering 400 doses of the J&J vaccine at the Zachary Youth Park from 8-noon. First come, first serve under the new eligibility list.

What day(s)?

FYI... if anyone is in the Zachary area or willing to come to Zachary, we'll be administering 400 doses of the J&J vaccine at the Zachary Youth Park from 8-noon. First come, first serve under the new eligibility list.
    Ask everyone if they've ever been on Tiger Droppings, and if they say yes, tell them they aren't eligible. ;)

Kidding..

kinda.

Ask everyone if they've ever been on Tiger Droppings, and if they say yes, tell them they aren't eligible. ;)

Kidding..

kinda.

Dude, I posted about it in a Zachary FB group and Trumpers came out of the woodwork - full crying about DNA being changed and everything. The level of ignorance and stupidity became wow evident when I joined the group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom