All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Did they? I don't know, I haven't seen that reported. But yeah, I would say if it's not a critical function, then the organization should be subject to the same regulations as everyone else. It's just that in some situations, the limitations placed seemed arbitrary and targeted churches specifically. I'm more about the rules being applied fairly. The problem is that all of the states are doing their own thing, so determining equal application of the law becomes tricky.

Yeah, they got 1.4 billion which blows my mind.

I agree. My guess is they are being more lax on bars, and restaurants because of tax income. That shouldn't happen. I could be completely wrong though.

Sooooo. How’s y’all’s week been going?
    2601F9D9-556A-44C3-816D-571395EDA9F2.jpeg

Darn it! Did you lose your senses of smell and taste? Are you having any respiratory symptoms?

Me too!! My son is about your age, he had similar to you. He was over everything but the sense of smell issues in about 3 days. Hope your case is the same.

I think one of the most unforgivable parts of the Trump response to this pandemic will be that he didn’t make the virus the enemy. Instead, he made public health officials and opposing politicians the enemy. You cannot win against this large of a public health issue when you are fighting anything other than the virus.

While we are waiting on an update from Kid, my former coworker and I have been texting. Her husband is stable and remains intubated. They think it will take some time, but at least he is holding his own. He’s got several other health issues and is high risk. He’s in his early 60s, and retired due to his health. She took a plasma transfusion and is on Remdesivir, also doing breathing treatments at home. Last time we talked she said she was starting to feel better. 🤞🏻She is 65, only a few months older than me.

My sister in law still feels “crummy” in her words, but is at home. She is in her upper 70s, she has a lot of body aches and upper respiratory symptoms, but her breathing seems to be okay so far. 🤞🏻

And I talked with my sister this weekend, sigh, who is 75 and a big time Fox viewer. She doesn’t believe me that this is a serious threat. She says 99% of people who get it get better, and got mad when I pointed out that for her age that was definitely not the case. I heard all the usual Fox talking points about how it‘s being overblown and she isn’t going to live her life in fear. She also tried to tell me about the testing, when I have worked in diagnostic medical lab for over 40 years, just like she didn’t want to hear anything from my younger brother who has done medical viral research for about the same amount of time (we tag teamed her). It’s very frustrating. I don’t see how she will avoid getting it at this point, just simply due to prevalence in the community and her not being willing to take necessary precautions. I’m trying to not let that bother me and failing.

Kid, hope you are doing okay!

I think one of the most unforgivable parts of the Trump response to this pandemic will be that he didn’t make the virus the enemy. Instead, he made public health officials and opposing politicians the enemy. You cannot win against this large of a public health issue when you are fighting anything other than the virus.

Yeah, this could have been a layup for Trump, and in all likelihood it cost him the election. He botched this in every way that could possibly be botched. The entire virus response, from the bogus travel bans, to the confusing and inconsistent press conferences, to the demonizing of Democrat states and threatening to withhold resources from those states, to the handcuffed posture of the CDC and experts and politicizing mask usage and vaccines.

It couldn't have been worse. And while I'm not happy that what he did happened, I am relieved that Trump has been voted out. Hopefully Biden does a better job on this issue.

We were discussing this in the gameday chat yesterday, but I had to shut down the dental dept. at one of our facilities as all three members at that location tested positive. It irks me to know end as we know who Patient 0 is. He/she/it admitted to not taking precautions outside of work and there's nothing we can do about it except deal with the fact this person might return emboldened because of the claim of immunity.

:facepalm:

Yeah, this could have been a layup for Trump, and in all likelihood it cost him the election.

I'm not so sure about this.

If you look at Biden's polling it didn't change much from March until now. I know we are all suspect of the polling methods, but I'm not talking about the actual numbers, just the change in them.

The reality is Trump got a lot more votes than 2016. Millions more. I honestly think he hit his literal voter ceiling. I still don't think it would have been enough. Too much of America was fed up with him before the virus even hit.

I think Biden's popular vote lead would have been smaller, but I still think he wins everything he won except maybe Arizona.

And if you're a President Biden coming in, how do you possibly flip the script? With public health now apparently a political issue, how do you possibly get any traction on "wear a mask"? If you try to prioritize any relief/vaccine distribution, it's just going to be "favoring the blue states!", so you're only deepening the divide. It's not an enviable position.

If you look at Biden's polling it didn't change much from March until now. I know we are all suspect of the polling methods, but I'm not talking about the actual numbers, just the change in them.

The reality is Trump got a lot more votes than 2016. Millions more. I honestly think he hit his literal voter ceiling. I still don't think it would have been enough. Too much of America was fed up with him before the virus even hit.

I think Biden's popular vote lead would have been smaller, but I still think he wins everything he won except maybe Arizona.

Maybe, I just think that had Trump handled the virus the right way, the angst with Trump would have been a lot lower, which would probably have led to lower enthusiasm for a change. It would certainly have been a lot closer. I think it's possible. But yeah, I see what you're saying.

I think what we'll find is that a lot of people are just tired of the virus and want to get back to work / normal. Not realizing that isn't exactly an option. So, they voted for Trump. I think that was the shift, even as cases were rising again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom