All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Not all of "us" have been served well by the courts. In fact, a lot of "us" have not been served well by the courts over the past 8 years. Remember that "my" interests are not necessarily representative of "everyone's" interests.

By us, I mean the country. Neither side always gets what they want in terms of the courts. They're not perfect. I think the system works. It's cyclical though. Sort of like our society. That said, I don't think there's much appetite to change the court in the Senate. That could change, but not likely in the next 2-4 years.

By us, I mean the country.
    I know what you meant. What I mean is that a system that's works for "me" is not necessarily a system that works for many others.

Recent Supreme Court rulings haven't made it harder for me to vote, but it has made it harder for many others to vote. That's a direct result of an ideologically packed Supreme Court.

The recent ruling in favor of religious gatherings versus COVID restrictions is going to lead to the preventable deaths of people who don't even attend those religious gatherings. You seem to agree with that. Well, that ruling is a direct result of an ideologically packed Supreme Court.

It's easy to think the status quo is "a-okay" when the status quo hasn't caused oneself any personal harm. That's not the way one should evaluate whether or not the status quo is actually serving all of us well.

The Supreme Court has already been ideologically packed and politicized. That ship has sailed. What remains to be seen is if we have the courage of our convictions to actually fix the problem or surrender to the injustices and "just accept them."

I know what you meant. What I mean is that a system that's works for "me" is not necessarily a system that works for many others.

Recent Supreme Court rulings haven't made it harder for me to vote, but it has made it harder for many others to vote. That's a direct result of an ideologically packed Supreme Court.

The recent ruling in favor of religious gatherings versus COVID restrictions is going to lead to the preventable deaths of people who don't even attend those religious gatherings. You seem to agree with that. Well, that ruling is a direct result of an ideologically packed Supreme Court.

It's easy to think the status quo is "a-okay" when the status quo hasn't caused oneself any personal harm. That's not the way one should evaluate whether or not the status quo is actually serving all of us well.

The Supreme Court has already been ideologically packed and politicized. That ship has sailed. What remains to be seen is if we have the courage of our convictions to actually fix the problem or surrender to the injustices and "just accept them."

I hear what you are saying, but imo the "fix" is select Scotus judges that counter the balance when the party needing to balance has the power to do it. Biden will probably get at least one shot, and maybe 2. But, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll like every ruling. We won't agree on the effectiveness of the court though. I think it's mostly effective. There are some that I have fundamental issues with, but for most cases I've seen, there's sound reasoning behind the decisions handed down.

The voting issue is something Congress and state legislatures need to address more than the courts anyway. I'm not a fan of the church ruling. For the purposes of public safety, churches should follow the same protocols as businesses are required to follow. I get religious freedom, but there should limits in the same way that there are limits to free speech.

To me, the greater responsibility for fixing the mess our country is in Congress. They're the ones who pass the laws and can change laws. I think the greater emphasis lies there than Scotus or even the Presidency.

I would say that if Democrats get an open seat weeks before the election, Biden gets his pick and the Senate will confirm him, particularly if they attain a majority by then. I don't want to hear Republicans whine about it. What's good for the goose and all that.

If a spot opens up (especially a conservative spot) anytime during 2024 you’re going to hear a bunch of whining, yelling, screaming about the “will of the people” and how “unfair” it is

GOP, as they often do, will simply pretend that Merrick Garland and Amy Barrett never happened

THIS is different

Why? Because roles are reversed, that’s why

And if Biden does get a couple picks when the republicans get the White House and Congress again I fully expect them to seriously look at expanding the court

If a spot opens up (especially a conservative spot) anytime during 2024 you’re going to hear a bunch of whining, yelling, screaming about the “will of the people” and how “unfair” it is

GOP, as they often do, will simply pretend that Merrick Garland and Amy Barrett never happened

THIS is different

Why? Because roles are reversed, that’s why

And if Biden does get a couple picks when the republicans get the White House and Congress again I fully expect them to seriously look at expanding the court

Absolutely, if the Republicans stall again after all that, expanding is fair game.

Absolutely great concept. The number of southern states involved? One... :facepalm:

Works nicely. We've had that here since april. A few technical issues initially but the latest version actually works in most of EU - so if even if you are in another country, your app can work with the local apps too

The money is not coming in.

That's more a byproduct of many people being unable to work during the pandemic. They make less, which less to less money to give to churches. Religious groups take the brunt of the downturn because people's mortgages and other living expenses don't typically go down much.

I also think people are tired of the pandemic. I get it, the virus will spread just the same, but it's human nature for people to want to gather. It's a bad idea, but it is what it is.

That's more a byproduct of many people being unable to work during the pandemic. They make less, which less to less money to give to churches. Religious groups take the brunt of the downturn because people's mortgages and other living expenses don't typically go down much.
    It is a byproduct of not being able to pass the plate.

I also think people are tired of the pandemic. I get it, the virus will spread just the same, but it's human nature for people to want to gather. It's a bad idea, but it is what it is.
    Perhaps they should pray to Jesus to give them the strength...

Matthew 6:5

“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get."

It is a byproduct of not being able to pass the plate.

Perhaps they should pray to Jesus to give them the strength...

They don't need to pass the plate. A lot of churches take online donations and PayPal and other services.

I don't expect to be kind to people about prayer and faith, so your sarcastic comment isn't surprising.

They don't need to pass the plate. A lot of churches take online donations and PayPal and other services.

I don't expect to be kind to people about prayer and faith, so your sarcastic comment isn't surprising.

Exactly. I attend Mass online and tithes are regularly taken out through an app with the church.

For me, this is just another "we got one over the libs" decision.

No it isn't. It's a step towards the church having their own separate state. They have no more control over the actual State than anyone else does.
    Do you think that members and participants in those religious groups are going to bubble themselves off from the rest of us? That they are going to set up their on separate nation and physically isolate themselves?

Did the ruling not just allow the members and participants of those religious groups to put their rights above health and safety laws of the state? Were they not given control to ignore health and safety laws put in place to protect every member of the state, including those who are not members of those religious groups?

Is that not literally putting the will of the Church over the laws of the State?

Last edited:
    Do you think that members and participants in those religious groups are going to bubble themselves off from the rest of us? That they are going to set up their on separate nation and physically isolate themselves?

Did the ruling not just allow the members and participants of those religious groups to put their rights above health and safety laws of the state? Were they not given control to ignore health and safety laws put in place to protect every member of the state, including those who are not members of those religious groups?

Is that not literally putting the will of the Church over the laws of the State?

Good thoughts. Eh, I'll think it over some more when I have some time. That was my first thought. I reserve the right to change my mind.

Regardless...Happy Thanksgiving!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom