All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I know that's confirmed cases. You know how I know that? I said that.

All of the other estimates about under counting aren't overly helpful, since they are anywhere from double to 4-5 times higher..

From what I understand you are better off looking at the official death rate, and adding the excess mortality numbers then factoring in a IFR of .6 to 1%. That gets you closer to a true count then maybe anything else. It's all a guess. New York is an extreme example, but those antibody test showed 20% of New Yorkers already had Covid.

Also there is a good subreddit for LA that gets updated everyday with the new numbers: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronaviruslouisiana/

fork it. I'm going maskless and going to fight anyone who gives me shirt about not wearing a mask. Seems like half of the country is doing it and getting away with it, but I'd probably be locked up pretty quick.

So, never mind.

fork it. I'm going maskless and going to fight anyone who gives me shirt about not wearing a mask. Seems like half of the country is doing it and getting away with it, but I'd probably be locked up pretty quick.

So, never mind.

Sadly, you'd probably be fine, but end up watching your wife/parent/child go into the ICU and never see them again outside a coffin.

Sometimes dark humor is all we have. On a personal note, my 76 year old sister-in-law now has Covid. And a former coworker texted me today to say her husband and she both have it, and he’s in ICU and intubated. Stay safe everyone, please.

Sometimes dark humor is all we have. On a personal note, my 76 year old sister-in-law now has Covid. And a former coworker texted me today to say her husband and she both have it, and he’s in ICU and intubated. Stay safe everyone, please.
    That's heartbreaking. The next few months will be heavily grief-stricken.

If there were a sad emoji to vote on this post with, I'd use it. Hearing things like this make me sick. Heard at the end of Nicole Wallace's show Deadline: White House today about a 70 yr. old RN who'd just retired before COVID hit us and she decided to un-retire so she could help. Sadly, she died over the past few days - from COVID. Literally makes me sick.

I'm really getting sick, tired and angry about hearing these stories all because we have an incompetent buffoon in the Oval who is going to do as little as possible between now and Biden's inauguration to stick it to the good ole U.S. of A. because he didn't win reelection.

At least now that his loss of the election is all but cemented, the focus will be on nothing but the biggest threat to our national security and safety which is COVID. Maybe Trump's COVID task force (can't believe I even typed those jokes of words) can get together with Biden's and make some meaningful steps towards progress since there have been none from Trump's White House yet.

I'm terribly sorry for those you know who are sick and hurting and will keep them in mind when I do my gratitude meditation tomorrow morning.

Stay well, MT.

I would say that if it was in a vacuum, if they want to gather in large buildings to worship and risk infecting each other, I say go right ahead and do it. But...unfortunately, they affect everyone else.

I believe in the separation of Church and State. It's a noble idea. But that doesn't mean the church should necessarily be exempt from basic human safety.

But here we are. I hope they do it safely and all, but I'm not optimistic.

Exhibit A as to why the court should be expanded. R's wanted to play dirty pool by having the majority of sitting justices appointed by presidents who didn't even win the popular vote (much less going against the "McConnell rule of not seating a justice in an election year"), how about we have one who got the most votes (popular) in the history of American elections set this shirt straight. God, I hope those two Georgia seats turn blue in the runoff.

Exhibit A as to why the court should be expanded. R's wanted to play dirty pool by having the majority of sitting justices appointed by presidents who didn't even win the popular vote (much less going against the "McConnell rule of not seating a justice in an election year"), how about we have one who got the most votes (popular) in the history of American elections set this shirt straight. God, I hope those two Georgia seats turn blue in the runoff.

Maybe, but, Roberts has joined the dissenting side enough times along with Gorsuch on some occasions that it's not going to be every case. 5-4 is a split decision and if say Thomas decides to retire, Biden can pick a justice that would more evenly balance the court. Packing the court is a bad idea, because then Scotus becomes even more of a political football and every 4 or 8 years you'll have Democrats and Republicans fighting over how many on the court should be. It's been 9 for a lot of years and it's served us pretty well. I would say that if Democrats get an open seat weeks before the election, Biden gets his pick and the Senate will confirm him, particularly if they attain a majority by then. I don't want to hear Republicans whine about it. What's good for the goose and all that.

I would say that if it was in a vacuum, if they want to gather in large buildings to worship and risk infecting each other, I say go right ahead and do it. But...unfortunately, they affect everyone else.

I believe in the separation of Church and State. It's a noble idea. But that doesn't mean the church should necessarily be exempt from basic human safety.

But here we are. I hope they do it safely and all, but I'm not optimistic.

I agree with your entire post, but I mainly really wanted +1 what I bolded.

And not just for churches - if you want to have a gathering of 25 people at your house, I’m ok with that on its face. The problem is those 25 people affect everyone they come in contact with for 2 weeks.

It's been 9 for a lot of years and it's served us pretty well.
    Not all of "us" have been served well by the courts. In fact, a lot of "us" have not been served well by the courts over the past 8 years. Remember that "my" interests are not necessarily representative of "everyone's" interests.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom