All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

There are places that can't open safely, but there are places that can open with limited risk. It's wrong to force everyone to remain closed due to those that can't open with limited risk. This isn't a binary situation. I know some areas that are providing computers to kids that need them, and other areas are paying for internet services. For other areas, those that don't have internet may be the subset that return to school. There will be fewer kids if it is mixed, therefore they can maintain distancing, cleansing, masking and other safety protocols. I would say for parents that don't comply with the safety protocols, then their kids must stay home. Everyone must cooperate to limit the risk, but with proper cooperation and precautions, I think the risk can be controlled. In areas with significant positivity rates (I'll randomly say higher than 5%), kids and staff must be tested regularly otherwise this won't work. We can monitor the increase of positivity, and if it exceeds say 15%, then it'll probably be time to shut down again. With proper precautions, many schools may not get there. Note, there are states with over 20% positivity rates today (Arizona is over 25%). For this positivity test to matter, a region must provide timely test (as in within 2 days) results. I'd favor the under 30 minute result antigen swab, but kids won't like that. It's not an easy proposition, but I think it can be done in some areas.

Certainly some school districts can return more easily. A high percentage have computers and internet access at home, so as you say, that could help lower the number of students who have to attend physically. I am selfishly thinking of the school districts in my area. Even during the shutdown, many districts around here still provided drive-thru breakfast and lunch. These districts are just not able to expect a significant number of students learning from home.

I agree that if parents/students don't comply with safety protocols, those students must stay home. That is really the only way it can work. Strict guidelines and strict enforcement. Of course, if a student doesn't have a mask you don't send them home; you provide a mask. Common sense enforcement of strict guidelines would give nervous parents some peace of mind that the district is doing all it can reasonably be expected to do to keep their children safe.

There are school districts around here that will do all they can, but I fear they are fighting a losing battle.

Two teachers in this house. Three school-aged children. Canada has been doing a really good job - we are sub-100 cases in the province and the GTA (6 million) has no new deaths and no new hospitaliztations with only a few dozen active cases.

We are headed back to school in a month, but much could change.

I am anxious, my wife is more anxious. But our school has implemented a lot of policies and changes - my wife is still waiting to see what it looks like in her class. She's wondering, for the first time, if not having AC will be a benefit - they rely on windows.

But if I were back home. I'd be very very nervous.

Well it looks like New York Gov Cuomo just gave the green light for schools to open up state wide next month. I was surprised to see this, I wonder what the response will be.

Trump stated last night that he will use an executive order to extend the Unemployment benefits, among other actions... I think that the reason the Republicans have not even attempted to negotiate with the Democrats is that it’s a strategy to let Trump swoop in and extend the benefits, thereby making him appear as the hero.. either that, or the Republicans are just dumb as to the political consequences of allowing tens of millions to go hungry and get tossed on the street in an election year.

Personally, as a guy who was furloughed and for whom the Unemployment benefits have been a tremendous help (otherwise i would have had to go deep into debt just to get bills paid)- i dont care who gets the credit.. If Trump does extend the Unemployment at $400 additional per week, then he’s basically doing exactly what the Democrats have wanted all along.

Last edited:
    If this holds (can he even actually do this?), $400 is more than Republicans wanted anyway, isn’t it?

Trump said the orders would provide an extra $400 per week to unemployed Americans, temporarily suspend the collection of payroll taxes, stop evictions from rental housing that has federal financial backing and extend zero percent interest on federally financed student loans.

Trump to sign executive orders for coronavirus stimulus
    https://reut.rs/2XHzvEg

If this holds (can he even actually do this?), $400 is more than Republicans wanted anyway, isn’t it?

Trump to sign executive orders for coronavirus stimulus
    https://reut.rs/2XHzvEg

Also, Trump is saying that the Fed govt will pick up 75% of the addl $400, and the states will pick up 25%.. How exactly is he able to legislate that? And where do the states come up with the addl 25% when their unemployment coffers in most cases are almost dry? Also, wouldnot that translate to Trump only extending by $300 (I’m no mathematician, but I think 75% of $400 is $300)... Sounds like a huge cluster.

Also, Trump is saying that the Fed govt will pick up 75% of the addl $400, and the states will pick up 25%.. How exactly is he able to legislate that? And where do the states come up with the addl 25% when their unemployment coffers in most cases are almost dry? Also, wouldnot that translate to Trump only extending by $300 (I’m no mathematician, but I think 75% of $400 is $300)... Sounds like a huge cluster.

Worst case scenario, maybe it’s a bit of a blueprint for further negotiations. I’ve been of thought extending it for $400 while a percentage based is negotiated made the most sense. Trump’s now told us he’s ok with $400 and some eviction protections.

I think more nefarious than that.... Trying to break the back of Democrat run states

Worst case scenario, maybe it’s a bit of a blueprint for further negotiations. I’ve been of thought extending it for $400 while a percentage based is negotiated made the most sense. Trump’s now told us he’s ok with $400 and some eviction protections.

Help me understand why/how you think it’s an additional $400 per week? Because Trump said it?? He said the Feds will pay $300 and the states will pay an additional $100 over and above what the states are already paying .. How do you think that’s going to work out? You think all the states are gonna magically come up with it? It’s pure gamesmanship.. IF Trump has the power to do this (I’m nowhere near enough of an expert to say if he does or doesnt have the power, I’ll leave that to those smarter than myself) then he’s basically going $100 over what the Republicans were offering anyway.. Gee, Trump- you’re the best President EVER...

I think more nefarious than that.... Trying to break the back of Democrat run states

Yeah, and i love how he threw in “AND if you reelect me I’ll see about making the payroll tax cut permanent!” Which ordinarily would have to be paid back... This guy is such a transparent weasel, yet people just lap it up.

Help me understand why/how you think it’s an additional $400 per week? Because Trump said it?? He said the Feds will pay $300 and the states will pay an additional $100 over

Because 300 + 100 = 400? I don’t understand what you’re trying to get at here.

I said when I posted the article, I don’t think Trump even has the power to put this in place. All I’m saying is, however it works out in his head, he signaled $400 is number he’s good with. I’m not arguing where it’s coming from, how it’s coming, or even if it’s coming. I’m just looking at it as a “he told us his negotiation stance”

Yeah, and i love how he threw in “AND if you reelect me I’ll see about making the payroll tax cut permanent!” Which ordinarily would have to be paid back... This guy is such a transparent weasel, yet people just lap it up.

And it’s still the weirdest damn hill to die on. Cutting payroll taxes doesn’t do squat for the people who aren’t working.

Because 300 + 100 = 400? I don’t understand what you’re trying to get at here.

I said when I posted the article, I don’t think Trump even has the power to put this in place. All I’m saying is, however it works out in his head, he signaled $400 is number he’s good with. I’m not arguing where it’s coming from, how it’s coming, or even if it’s coming. I’m just looking at it as a “he told us his negotiation stance”

Sorry if i misunderstood you, but yeah- as someone on SR pointed out, this sounds like a ‘poison pill’ where if the states cant come up with their 25% (an addl $100 per week) then they wont be able to offer the people of their state the addl $300 from the feds... Not sure if that’s true, or not- as i stated, I’m no expert.. I’ll withhold judgement until we get further details.. but it seems that Trump, as usual, has managed to muddle things p even more.

And it’s still the weirdest damn hill to die on. Cutting payroll taxes doesn’t do squat for the people who aren’t working.

And it literally defunds Socoal Security and Medicare, since they are directly tied to the payroll tax... Not sure how many people will realize that, or care, come Election Day.

ETA: what grandadmiral said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom