All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Ok.

Geez Louise, i really wish i were one of you guys, the true believers who think that ‘it cant happen here’.. ‘Trump doesnt have the authority blah blah’.. Wake the **** up... IT’S HAPPENING.

As i mentioned before, I’m just thankful that I’m pushing 50 years old so I won’t have to live under this authoritarian regime for more than a couple decades , most likely... But go ahead and tell me how I’m overreacting.

Please don't call me Louise (or Shirley)....I think/hope you are overreacting....

Now the latest political football...is literally football!

The responses to Jordan are just

tenor.gif

Also how slimier can DeSantis be? Really? Poach players from other conferences doing what they feel is in the best interest of their students and athletes? Yeesh.
    LOL! I initially read that as DeSantis being slimmer. Has he lost weight? :covri: :hihi: He really is slimy. Anytime I have heard him speak, it sounds like he is trying to say whatever he can think of that is the opposite of logical, decent or plain common sense.

LOL! I initially read that as DeSantis being slimmer. Has he lost weight? :covri: :hihi: He really is slimy. Anytime I have heard him speak, it sounds like he is trying to say whatever he can think of that is the opposite of logical, decent or plain common sense.
    The more I've heard him actually speak, the more convinced that there are truly evil people among us. Not once have I heard him speak and come away from it feeling like he made some good points or is doing anything that's in the best interests of the people of Florida. It's all Trumpism talking points and attitudes.

I've also noticed that Bobby Jindal has started tweeting lately. I really hope this clown has no plans of doing anything in the state of Louisiana ever again. If we were ever stupid enough to elect him as dog catcher in a town with 50 citizens, I'd move out of the state immediately.

This is what's going to happen in every state just not at such an insane number.

If his numbers are correct, it would also mean that the US would be funding $2.1 billion in additional unemployment payments each week for California alone. Taken further, if passed, the Democrat's plan for $600 per person would mean paying unemployed people in California $4.2 billion weekly (assuming a constant number of unemployed). I'm not saying that any plan is inherently good or bad, but 49 other states will be in line at the same pay window and it's good to get a sense of how much things cost. I am sure someone has the figures for how much has already been paid out for the $600 allotment that has expired. I'd guess it's a number that we would all find massive.

Yes, it’s a massive number, but it’s a good idea to consider the alternative. What would all those people being evicted from their homes, etc. do to the economy? They already have no jobs. We could very well slide into a depression, rather than the recession we are currently in. This is a problem the federal government has to solve. The people who get this money will immediately use it to prop up the economy. They will pay their rent or mortgage, buy groceries, buy the kids back to school clothes, etc.

We can return to fiscal responsibility once this virus has been truly defeated. What is so freaking maddening to me is that Trump is doing the exact wrong thing at almost every turn. He thinks he is protecting the economy, but it cannot get back to normal until there is a vaccine or a treatment. If he had paid attention to testing, contact tracing, and so forth back in early April, we could be in the same position right now as the rest of the civilized world. Closely monitoring for flare ups, and getting back to more or less normal, or at least something adjacent to normal, until the vaccine is ready.

Kids could safely be going back to school, we could have real sports again. Just infuriating incompetency.

If his numbers are correct, it would also mean that the US would be funding $2.1 billion in additional unemployment payments each week for California alone. Taken further, if passed, the Democrat's plan for $600 per person would mean paying unemployed people in California $4.2 billion weekly (assuming a constant number of unemployed). I'm not saying that any plan is inherently good or bad, but 49 other states will be in line at the same pay window and it's good to get a sense of how much things cost. I am sure someone has the figures for how much has already been paid out for the $600 allotment that has expired. I'd guess it's a number that we would all find massive.

But Trump's action is pure genius. His supporters see him as the savior who extended unemployment benefits...and most states won't be able to participate, so the federal government won't actually spend that much money.

. I'm not saying that any plan is inherently good or bad

Neither am I... i think a good way to look at this is to ask ourselves, when we are considering whether we can afford extended unemployment, stimulus, etc to keep the economy from sliding into the ****er for the next however many years- ask yourself what the reaction woulda been if, in the middle of our dual wars against Iraq and Afghanistan under the Dubya administration, where we put Trillions (plural) of dollars on the nations credit card- what would have been the reaction at any point if someone had said “We need an extra 2 or 3 Trillion dollars in order to fully support our troops in combat’ and the reply would have been ‘Nah, we cant afford that’............. The scenario playing out right now isnt that different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom