All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Speaking of New York...

There was no reason for DeBlasio to wear a mask because he was standing at least 6 feet away from everyone, and it would've made it harder to understand him while he was speaking into the microphone. I bet he put on a mask after he finished speaking. Are you trying to infer that he's just as bad as Trump, who has never been seen in public wearing a mask, whereas I found many pics of DeBlasio wearing masks.
    1592321695821.png

This is the best I can find for Trump

1592321767368.png

In all seriousness, I think there was only 1 image of Trump wearing a mask, and he mocks Biden for doing it. Trump is very irresponsible and a terrible leader. I'm not a huge DeBlasio fan, but I would take his leadership any day over Trump's.

There was no reason for DeBlasio to wear a mask because he was standing at least 6 feet away from everyone, and it would've made it harder to understand him while he was speaking into the microphone. I bet he put on a mask after he finished speaking. Are you trying to infer that he's just as bad as Trump, who has never been seen in public wearing a mask, whereas I found many pics of DeBlasio wearing masks.
    1592321695821.png

This is the best I can find for Trump

1592321767368.png

In all seriousness, I think there was only 1 image of Trump wearing a mask, and he mocks Biden for doing it. Trump is very irresponsible and a terrible leader. I'm not a huge DeBlasio fan, but I would take his leadership any day over Trump's.
    Are you able to make a post without mentioning Trump? Did you ignore the post right before yours where the Cuomo's Twitter account said people will be fined for not wearing masks in public?

Are you able to make a post without mentioning Trump? Did you ignore the post right before yours where the Cuomo's Twitter account said people will be fined for not wearing masks in public?
    Your post showing DeBlasio was obviously a veiled attempt to defend Trump's aversion and mockery of masks, so I unveiled it. I didn't see Cuomo's Twitter. I almost never look at Twitter. If Cuomo's policy doesn't allow people to remove their masks in any circumstance when outdoors, then it is an idiotic policy. I saw nothing wrong with what DeBlasio was doing, but you obviously felt it was hypocritical. Rather than making us guess what you think, how about telling why you posted that link showing DeBlasio without a mask?

Your post showing DeBlasio was obviously a veiled attempt to defend Trump's aversion and mockery of masks, so I unveiled it. I didn't see Cuomo's Twitter. I almost never look at Twitter. If Cuomo's policy doesn't allow people to remove their masks in any circumstance when outdoors, then it is an idiotic policy. I saw nothing wrong with what DeBlasio was doing, but you obviously felt it was hypocritical. Rather than making us guess what you think, how about telling why you posted that link showing DeBlasio without a mask?
    My post about Deblasio not wearing a mask contained a Tweet referencing Governor Cuomo not Trump.
    Speaking of New York...

Cuomo said if protesters or police didn't wear a mask they could be fined. So the Mayor of New York was ignoring Cuomo's orders. You don't have to read Twitter. I posted the Tweet literally in the post before yours.

Cuomo said if protesters or police didn't wear a mask they could be fined. So the Mayor of New York was ignoring Cuomo's orders. You don't have to read Twitter. I posted the Tweet literally in the post before yours.
    This is a strange hill to die on. It says can be fined. Not will be fined as you misstated earlier. Can be. Naturally, because there are circumstances in which masks don't have to be worn.

Situations where the New York state mandate does not require you to wear a mask include if you're under two, unable to for health reasons, or, if you're able to maintain at least six feet distance from others (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-face-covering-faq.pdf). And as @wardorican and @Lapaz have already said, "There was no reason for DeBlasio to wear a mask because he was standing at least 6 feet away from everyone."

This is a strange hill to die on. It says can be fined. Not will be fined as you misstated earlier. Can be. Naturally, because there are circumstances in which masks don't have to be worn.

Situations where the New York state mandate does not require you to wear a mask include if you're under two, unable to for health reasons, or, if you're able to maintain at least six feet distance from others (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-face-covering-faq.pdf). And as @wardorican and @Lapaz have already said, "There was no reason for DeBlasio to wear a mask because he was standing at least 6 feet away from everyone."
    It's simply pointing out the hypocrisy. The CDC says masks should be worn in addition to social distancing.

New York is refusing to allow many businesses to open, but they are fine with the protestors not practicing social distancing.

How effective do you think those homemade masks are? From what I've read 60% at the most.

People were told they couldn't be there to see a relative buried or see their child graduate, but apparently the protesting is okay. Do you not the see the blatant hypocrisy?

Well, this particular horse is dead. Catch y'all whenever this stupid argument is over with.

Everyone who has spoken to a crowd using a microphone or megaphone since things have re-opened has taken their mask off to speak so they can be understood and put it back on when they finish. Where's his mask? Probably in his pocket.

It's simply pointing out the hypocrisy. The CDC says masks should be worn in addition to social distancing.

New York is refusing to allow many businesses to open, but they are fine with the protestors not practicing social distancing.

How effective do you think those homemade masks are? From what I've read 60% at the most.

People were told they couldn't be there to see a relative buried or see their child graduate, but apparently the protesting is okay. Do you not the see the blatant hypocrisy?

If your point was about hypocrisy of the protesters being allowed despite the danger of spreading the virus, that's a fair point, but that's not the point you stressed. You were trying to mock DeBlasio and claiming he's breaking the law, which he wasn't. I agree with you that protesters are creating a health hazard, but there is a constitutional 1st amendment right that protects them. I don't agree with these gatherings as they've taken place, because hardly anyone is maintaining distances from each other, but people are riled up. Perhaps authorities should've required compliance with Covid separation policies, but the protests have gotten heated even without that enforcement, so it was a case of prudence to allow it. It is not much different than the Trump rallies, which will also create health hazards. I also agree that it is a travesty that people haven't been able to go their child's graduations and loved one's burials. We should've allowed accommodations for people. They could've at least allowed the closest family members to go to these events. There are many things going on to control Covid, most of which I think are proper, but some people go too far. That is human nature. No one will always agree with all measures taken. Some will always believe it is too strict, and some will always believe it is too lax. All we can do is try to change the fringes and work our way towards a consensus.

Here's another example of the hypocrisy

So is your point that, if we allow the protests, then we should drop all requirements to socially distance? To not be hypocritical, should authorities ban all protests, including those against closing due to Covid?

So is your point that, if we allow the protests, then we should drop all requirements to socially distance? To not be hypocritical, should authorities ban all protests, including those against closing due to Covid?
    What I'm saying is that they can allow that park to be open with social distancing and masks if they are allowing protests with masks and no social distancing.

Here's another example of the hypocrisy

Maybe try to get the whole story would help :)

Led by a contingent of children on bicycles, skateboards and scooters, more than 100 marchers from the Orthodox community trekked more than two miles through Williamsburg streets on Friday calling on Governor Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio to reopen both playgrounds and children’s sleep-away camps before the summer heat arrives.

Leaders say a failure to reopen activities for children would cause social disturbance in the communities, leaving children with nothing to do for the hot summer months. De Blasio maintains those reopenings won’t come until at least July, with New York City having just entered the first phase of reopening this week.
    https://www.amny.com/news/with-covi...munity-seeks-to-reopen-playgrounds-and-camps/

So they took it into their own hands....

City officials said Monday that the locks at Middleton had been broken multiple times. The welding — done from the inside, according to videos posted online — was a temporary measure, a Parks Department spokesperson said, because no staff was available to reinstall the chain earlier in the day.

Not long after the welding was removed and the park chained shut, a video was posted to Twitter showing two Orthodox men cutting the chains on a park gate. It was unclear where the video was taken. One man fell backwards as he pulled the chains off the gate. “Come on in, guys,” another said to the waiting crowd as the gates swung open.

And it was not the time - Another example of the community ignoring the state mandate

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...appear-to-enter-yeshiva-that-should-be-closed

Man, the Jewish community in NYC cannot catch a break.

What I'm saying is that they can allow that park to be open with social distancing and masks if they are allowing protests with masks and no social distancing.
    Well I get the sentiment of allowing playgrounds to open, but kids won't social distance, so it is risky. New York has erred on the side of being more cautious. There is evidence coming out that the risk to surfaces may be minimal due to the low amount of virus. If that can be confirmed, then perhaps they'll open. I think they would prefer not to have the protests as well, but its a bit harder to stop that given 1st amendment rights. It seems to me that you just favor more openings in general, which many people, including myself, consider too risky. We're barely keeping the virus under control as it is. The summer is helping, but we're steadily confirming about 20k cases daily. Our daily active cases is teetering on stabilizing. If we loosen up even more, it will start overwhelming areas of the country again, and will get ugly. New York has come out of a horrible situation. They are now doing better than most places in the country. Their measured steps may be too much for you, but its working for New York.

George Carlin was right.. The Public Sucks.

A month or so ago, one of the first parks to open in Miami-Dade had hundreds of citations for people not adhering to the rules, the next day they closed the park down.

FDA pulling what was clearly a rushed approval largely to appease the president’s (poor) instincts, and because the risky treatment has failed to demonstrate benefits, is described by a White House official as “a Deep State blindside”. This is where we are in American leadership these days - completely looney.

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration’s abrupt decision this week to revoke an emergency waiver for two malaria drugs promoted by President Trump as potential “game changers” against the coronavirus has left 66 million doses stranded in the federal stockpile — and officials do not yet know what they will do with them.

The F.D.A.’s withdrawal on Monday of its “emergency use authorization” for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine did not go over well at the White House, where top aides to Mr. Trump had rushed in March to fill the federal stockpile. That included accepting a donation from the pharmaceutical giant Bayer of three million tablets from a factory in Pakistan that had not been certified by the F.D.A. as safe.

“This is a Deep State blindside by bureaucrats who hate the administration they work for more than they’re concerned about saving American lives,” Peter Navarro, Mr. Trump’s trade adviser, who helped distribute 19 million hydroxychloroquine pills, fumed in an interview Monday night.

Medical experts across the country — including those who are researching hydroxychloroquine — on Tuesday applauded the F.D.A.’s withdrawal of the waiver after it concluded the drugs’ potential benefits did not outweigh their risks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/...coronavirus.html?referringSource=articleShare

FDA pulling what was clearly a rushed approval largely to appease the president’s (poor) instincts, and because the risky treatment has failed to demonstrate benefits, is described by a White House official as “a Deep State blindside”. This is where we are in American leadership these days - completely looney.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/...coronavirus.html?referringSource=articleShare
    Looney is such an understatement (totally understand the limitations on using other words to describe it on this board). This whole "Deep State" nonsense just needs to stop. At least there appears to be more and more people completely rejecting the whole concept lately and speaking out against it whenever it's used as a defense for something stupid Trump did. Then again, you still see people tagging all of their posts on twitter with that #WWG1WGA idiocy still and believe that Q is a real person.

Does anyone besides me remember the interview with KellyAnne Baghdad Bob right after the epidemic hit the US said, "It's not like this is COVID-1 or something, it's COVID-19. We'll have a handle on it soon because it's the 19th version of this virus..." or something along those lines not even knowing that the "19" in COVID-19 is because it occurred in 2019 and it's only the second, maybe third (pretty sure 2nd) coronavirus we've experienced?

And she's one of Trump's trusted advisers. No wonder he's forked this up so bad after listening to morons like her. She must be one hell of a lay for George Conway, one of the most vocal critics of Trump, to remain married throughout all of this.

I'm just sick of straight up idiocy being spouted as truth from the WH and no one really following up on it. She should have been shamed out of her job for that stupidity.

November can't get here fast enough. Although, I'm looking forward to the infection numbers after Trump's rally in Tulsa. I want to see him try to explain that away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom