All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Yeah, my comments didn’t rise to the level of overreaction you’re suggesting. It'd be wonderful if some studies began to show efficacy in treatment or prevention, but until then, it’s a better use of the president’s time to focus on implementing the solutions we know will save lives instead of promoting something that’s unproven.

Sorry, even though I was replying to your post I was referring to the reaction generally and in particular some of the media.

It's just been odd.

I get that there has not been the types of clinical trials we normally want to see. But, it's not as though there is no reason for hope either.

There has been enough favorable research that the 3,000 medical workers and first responders in Detroit are participating in an ongoing study on whether the use of the drug is effective as a prophylactic.

I find it odd that there is such a visceral reaction to this drug.

People seem to act as though the scientific community has unanimously agreed that there is no benefit to the drug. That's not the case.

You're correct, that's not the case. People are not acting as though the scientific community has unanimously agreed there is no benefit to the drug.

What is correct is that Trump has repeatedly claimed that the drug is a "game changer," even though there is no evidence to support that claim. What we DO KNOW is that there are multiple clinical trials going on all over the world, and to date, none of them have shown that there is any statistical benefit to this drug. Some of them have shown that there is no statistical difference between patients treated with the drug and patients who received a placebo.

There are physicians who are prescribing the drug and reporting that the outcomes they are seeing give them reason to believe that, at least for certain patients, there is a benefit.

This is true, however, this is what is known as anectdotal evidence. In other words, it's simply someone reporting a story. It's not an actual scientific way of showing that the drug works. They simply say, "Hey, I gave these patients this drug, and my patients all got better." It's possible it was the drug, it's also possible that it was a combination of the other therapies and the patients' own immune system that caused them to recover. As many people point out, the overwhelming majority of people recover from this virus, something like 97%. So, if a doctor treats 500 people with the drug, and all of them recover, that's not really a reliable way of saying the drug works, because statistically, 491 of them would have recovered no matter what. It's well within the margin of error that all 500 would have recovered without the drug.

You're correct, that's not the case. People are not acting as though the scientific community has unanimously agreed there is no benefit to the drug.

Actually, they have - there were headlines in the NY Times, the WaPo and others calling hydroxycloriquine "snake oil" and making similar comments. Of course, the usual idiots on CNN were hyperventilating over the very thought that a human might take the drug.

I wonder what happened with the media in March proclaiming Florida was going to be the next Italy and or worse than New York.

Yes, I know people are going to get butt hurt because I am calling out the media, but damn it feels good to call out the media.

I wonder what happened with the media in March proclaiming Florida was going to be the next Italy and or worse than New York.

Yes, I know people are going to get butt hurt because I am calling out the media, but damn it feels good to call out the media.

The headlines say "could be" or ask "will it happen". Your assertion that it was stated as fact is betrayed by the very headlines of the articles you shared.

What second wave? Australia is in their winter months right now, they have re-opened and there has been no noticeable increase in cases.

We don't even know that there will be a second wave. What happened to just "flattening the curve?"

Why do the goalposts keep moving on when we can re-open the country?
    Australia's daily cases have been in the double digits for over a month. They have a few hundred active cases. This is not comparable to considering re-opening with thousands of daily cases and hundreds of thousands of active ones.

That said, it's also not accurate to say Australia has 're-opened' with the implication that the effects of doing so are known. No. They've started to ease the restrictions, allowing some non-essential businesses and beaches to open for example. But in New South Wales, for example, they've only just (as of today) allowed public gatherings of 10 people, food and drink premises can open, but only subject to social distancing and headcount caps (maximum of ten people). Similarly weddings are limited to ten guests, religious gatherings to 10 worshippers. Plenty of places (indoor recreation facilities, indoor swimming pools, cinemas, theatres...) are still closed. They are nowhere near 'open' yet, and the effects of that level of easing restrictions are not yet known (obviously, since they only did it today).

You get that if there's a second wave, then the curve isn't flattened? Right? That is literally the same goalpost it's always been.

1. It's not winter in Australia. It's Fall. In either case, their winters are pretty mild, outside of Canberra, which is still pretty mild.

2. March, was actually the beginning of fall, so still pretty hot. That probably lessened the initial wave, and they were far more prepared for this than we were.

3. Then everything Rob Said..

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican political operatives are recruiting “extremely pro-Trump” doctors to go on television to prescribe reviving the U.S. economy as quickly as possible, without waiting to meet safety benchmarks proposed by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

The plan was discussed in a May 11 conference call with a senior staffer for the Trump reelection campaign organized by CNP Action, an affiliate of the GOP-aligned Council for National Policy.

A leaked recording of the hourlong call was provided to The Associated Press by the Center for Media and Democracy, a progressive watchdog group.............

El-Sadr said having doctors relay contradictory information on behalf of the president is “quite alarming.”

“I find it totally irresponsible to have physicians who are touting some information that’s not anchored in evidence and not anchored in science,” El-Sadr said. “What often creates confusion is the many voices that are out there, and many of those voices do have a political interest, which is the hugely dangerous situation we are at now.”

Murtaugh said the campaign is not concerned about contradicting government experts.

“Our job at the campaign is to reflect President Trump’s point of view,” Murtaugh said. “We are his campaign. There is no difference between us and him.”............

It's kind of like his Twitter usage... it's infuriating. He's trying to both be the president and the 2020 campaign. So, he has certain messages that are pure campaigning over official channels, and other messages that are actual governance.

Examples are like when he goes on the attack towards a government employee. Does he really want them fired or investigated and memebers of the admin are scrambling.. or is he just giving a campaign speech that is all make believe?

I'm not shocked that he'd undermine his own Administration to generate sound bytes to increase his chances of being re-elected. Why sabotage yourself?

Who would you say, media or otherwise, would have been the best voices to listen to back in March about what to expect with coronavirus?

I was defending Florida on SR when all this was going on. But, I get what these articles were doing.. they were pushing DeSantis to put on his big boy pants and make a decision. At this time, South Florida already cancelled schools (temporarily, until later made permanent), and basically started shutting down a few days later. Actually, it may have been the day after that LA Times piece. I said, that's what was really needed, and most of the state isn't that populated to probably worry. However, we needed a coherent plan. DeSantis finally acted.

I do think what saved a lot of folks, outside of the nice weather, is that DeSantis connected UF's College of Medicine and the Villages to partner together and do pretty wide spread testing. While his "please NYC people, quarantine yourselves" was likely too soft, anecdotally, from the few I've talked to, many complied.

I think those folks were too focused on what the State wasn't doing, vs what the major metro areas were doing that mitigated that lack of action.

but, Texas shouldn't be doing a dance.. they're still increasing last I checked.

1590033124714.png

And aren't you in Pinellas? Had a little burst of activity about a week ago..

1590033244733.png

What like this one?

Or this one?

Or this one?

Or this?

Don't count you chickens before they hatch.

What like this one?

Or this one?

Or this one?

Or this?

Don't count you chickens before they hatch.

yeah, I'd sit this one out.

yeah, I'd sit this one out.

Why cuz I don't buy Florida and the numbers they report?

Another nugget about Florida and their number issues.

Last edited:
    Yeah, a lot of media outlets have shown their bias when dealing wit DeSantis and Florida, like the story of firing the "architect" of Florida's corona virus website.
    No question why so many distrust so much of what is reported as news.

I was defending Florida on SR when all this was going on. But, I get what these articles were doing.. they were pushing DeSantis to put on his big boy pants and make a decision. At this time, South Florida already cancelled schools (temporarily, until later made permanent), and basically started shutting down a few days later. Actually, it may have been the day after that LA Times piece. I said, that's what was really needed, and most of the state isn't that populated to probably worry. However, we needed a coherent plan. DeSantis finally acted.

I do think what saved a lot of folks, outside of the nice weather, is that DeSantis connected UF's College of Medicine and the Villages to partner together and do pretty wide spread testing. While his "please NYC people, quarantine yourselves" was likely too soft, anecdotally, from the few I've talked to, many complied.

I think those folks were too focused on what the State wasn't doing, vs what the major metro areas were doing that mitigated that lack of action.

but, Texas shouldn't be doing a dance.. they're still increasing last I checked.

1590033124714.png

And aren't you in Pinellas? Had a little burst of activity about a week ago..

1590033244733.png
    Seems like Florida is one of the success stories: deferring to local health departments and leaders as opposed to a one size fits all approach.
    I think you can say similar things about Tennessee, although for whatever reason we seem to have been more on top of testing than a lot of places.

Why cuz I don't buy Florida and the numbers they report?

Another nugget about Florida and their number issues.

Want a shovel? Florida is fairing far better than most states with similar populations and makeup.

Yeah, a lot of media outlets have shown their bias when dealing wit DeSantis and Florida, like the story of firing the "architect" of Florida's corona virus website.

That article isn't the home run you want it to be Jim. It's very easy to read between the lines of "We need to review this data before you publish it." as "We need to delay this data so our numbers look better for reopening."

If they truly are having issues with incorrect data, they should have given examples, otherwise it sounds like a flimsy cover.

That article isn't the home run you want it to be Jim. It's very easy to read between the lines of "We need to review this data before you publish it." as "We need to delay this data so our numbers look better for reopening."

If they truly are having issues with incorrect data, they should have given examples, otherwise it sounds like a flimsy cover.
    It's also very easy to say it's common sense that epidemiologists and infectious disease experts should review data before a multiple-arrested non-public-health expert publishes it.

Do you want to explain exactly what the web site Tallahassee reports is to go with your post? Who is Brian Burgess?

Or do you want me to look for it?

If I were you I would read the CNN article I posted last.

Yes it is an opinion piece by a medical analyst and a physician and infection control expert at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

It basically says Florida counts forked up and if new York counted as crappy they would have 40% less in deaths.

Let me know will gladly use the Google machine for the blogger you posted

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom