All Things LGBTQ+ (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

By day two of Florida’s legislative session, which started last month, lawmakers had introduced nearly 20 anti-gay or anti-trans bills. One such bill, SB 1780, would make accusing someone of being homophobic, transphobic, racist or sexist, even if the accusation is true, equivalent to defamation, and punishable by a fine of at least $35,000. If passed, the bill would severely limit and punish constitutionally protected free speech in the state.

Though SB 1780 is not likely to survive past higher courts, its introduction is indicative of a wider conservative strategy to stifle criticism of racist, sexist and homophobic behavior. The bill, critics argue, is being introduced to test the waters and see how far, legally, lawmakers can go until they are able to silence detractors.

“That’s the pattern here in Florida,” said Sharon Austin, a professor of political science at the University of Florida. “They introduce a bill that many of us find to be really extreme. When we start to protest, eventually they take out some of the provisions and sort of water it down a little bit, but in the end it ends up getting passed.”

Austin notes that similar bills, such as SB 266, which severely limits diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts, and HB7, “the stop woke act”, which regulates how race and race issues can be taught in schools, were ultimately passed after lawmakers made the bills slightly less extreme.

Understanding the landscape that legislators in the state are attempting to construct is crucial, said Howard Simon, the executive director of the ACLU of Florida. “This session is probably going to be known as the ‘gay bigotry legislative session’,” he said. “They’re on track to spend the [two-month legislative session] exercising their bigotry and hostility to the gay community in Florida.”

During last year’s legislative session, multiple anti-gay bills were introduced, including the infamous “don’t say gay” bill, which has been challenged multiple times since it was signed into law. Florida taxpayers have footed the costs for a number of lawsuits in the last several years, totaling well into the millions.

Simon and Austin both argue that by crafting bills that specifically target LGBTQ+ people, DEI efforts and free speech, conservative legislators are trying to push those who do not fit the mold of what they believe Florida should look like out of the state.

“Whether you like it or not, if someone wants to accuse you of being racist or sexist or homophobic, they have a right to do that,” said Austin. “It’s protected speech. There are attempts to intimidate and bully educators and individuals by letting them know that if you say something that’s unpopular, that offends conservatives, then we will come after you, then we will punish you.”

‘It’s a frightening time’​

The passage of SB 1780 would have sweeping implications for free speech, as the bill’s restrictions apply to everything from print and television to online social media posts.

The bill would not only make it virtually impossible to prove accusations of racism, sexism, homophobia or transphobia, but it would also make it so that the victim of discriminatory statements is responsible for damages to the offender.

If enough people were charged under the bill, Simon said, it would likely intimidate others from coming forward about discrimination, effectively silencing victims of hate crimes or other forms of bigotry. Austin likens the bill and others like it to McCarthyism.……

By day two of Florida’s legislative session, which started last month, lawmakers had introduced nearly 20 anti-gay or anti-trans bills. One such bill, SB 1780, would make accusing someone of being homophobic, transphobic, racist or sexist, even if the accusation is true, equivalent to defamation, and punishable by a fine of at least $35,000. If passed, the bill would severely limit and punish constitutionally protected free speech in the state.

Though SB 1780 is not likely to survive past higher courts, its introduction is indicative of a wider conservative strategy to stifle criticism of racist, sexist and homophobic behavior. The bill, critics argue, is being introduced to test the waters and see how far, legally, lawmakers can go until they are able to silence detractors.

“That’s the pattern here in Florida,” said Sharon Austin, a professor of political science at the University of Florida. “They introduce a bill that many of us find to be really extreme. When we start to protest, eventually they take out some of the provisions and sort of water it down a little bit, but in the end it ends up getting passed.”

Austin notes that similar bills, such as SB 266, which severely limits diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts, and HB7, “the stop woke act”, which regulates how race and race issues can be taught in schools, were ultimately passed after lawmakers made the bills slightly less extreme.

Understanding the landscape that legislators in the state are attempting to construct is crucial, said Howard Simon, the executive director of the ACLU of Florida. “This session is probably going to be known as the ‘gay bigotry legislative session’,” he said. “They’re on track to spend the [two-month legislative session] exercising their bigotry and hostility to the gay community in Florida.”

During last year’s legislative session, multiple anti-gay bills were introduced, including the infamous “don’t say gay” bill, which has been challenged multiple times since it was signed into law. Florida taxpayers have footed the costs for a number of lawsuits in the last several years, totaling well into the millions.

Simon and Austin both argue that by crafting bills that specifically target LGBTQ+ people, DEI efforts and free speech, conservative legislators are trying to push those who do not fit the mold of what they believe Florida should look like out of the state.

“Whether you like it or not, if someone wants to accuse you of being racist or sexist or homophobic, they have a right to do that,” said Austin. “It’s protected speech. There are attempts to intimidate and bully educators and individuals by letting them know that if you say something that’s unpopular, that offends conservatives, then we will come after you, then we will punish you.”

‘It’s a frightening time’​

The passage of SB 1780 would have sweeping implications for free speech, as the bill’s restrictions apply to everything from print and television to online social media posts.

The bill would not only make it virtually impossible to prove accusations of racism, sexism, homophobia or transphobia, but it would also make it so that the victim of discriminatory statements is responsible for damages to the offender.

If enough people were charged under the bill, Simon said, it would likely intimidate others from coming forward about discrimination, effectively silencing victims of hate crimes or other forms of bigotry. Austin likens the bill and others like it to McCarthyism.……

If the bill passes, then anyone living in Florida can let me know who to accuse of what with links to back it up. Good luck to Florida bigots trying to sue me in CA all the way from the limp phallus of the nation.

An increase in violent attacks and murder are on the way, as intended.
    You are correct. It is almost leftists favorite time of year, riot season! Get your masks ready, with the elections right around the corner, this years dance card predicts to be very full!

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/opinion/transgender-children-gender-dysphoria.html
    Reading about transgender people online, Powell believed that the reason she didn’t feel comfortable in her body was that she was in the wrong body. Transitioning seemed like the obvious solution. The narrative she had heard and absorbed was that if you don’t transition, you’ll kill yourself.

More conspiracy theories from the alt right dirt rag NYT, amma I right? I was told in no uncertain terms this is false and I am a biggot for suggesting that the people who make money on this were maybe lying to the vulnerable to rake in the profits. What is next, the fascists in Europe wanting to slow down the process for "gender affirming care' (child mutilation)? Sad day for seahorse birthing people.

You are correct. It is almost leftists favorite time of year, riot season! Get your masks ready, with the elections right around the corner, this years dance card predicts to be very full!
    Nah, no riots when the SCOTUS incorrectly intervened in 2000. No riots when Trump was elected in 2016. Yet there was a Reich Wing riot in 2021 to overturn an election. Funny how that works that way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/opinion/transgender-children-gender-dysphoria.html
    Reading about transgender people online, Powell believed that the reason she didn’t feel comfortable in her body was that she was in the wrong body. Transitioning seemed like the obvious solution. The narrative she had heard and absorbed was that if you don’t transition, you’ll kill yourself.

More conspiracy theories from the alt right dirt rag NYT, amma I right? I was told in no uncertain terms this is false and I am a biggot for suggesting that the people who make money on this were maybe lying to the vulnerable to rake in the profits. What is next, the fascists in Europe wanting to slow down the process for "gender affirming care' (child mutilation)? Sad day for seahorse birthing people.
    That’s an opinion piece. You may not realize it because the media you consume is entirely one sided, but actual journalism allows for all sorts of opinions to be posted. It’s one person’s opinion.

Funny thing is - nobody on the side of transgender rights wants to force anyone to transition. While the right wing DOES want to control what other people can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Your side is against freedom. In almost all cases.

That's the lamest form of "I'm rubber, you're glue" I've ever heard. Your failure is so rank, the reek makes it all the way here to Los Angeles from over there in Mobile.

What's the number of people of who are heterosexual and cis that have been violently attacked or killed just for being heterosexual and cis?

Name the time that your so called "leftists" attacked the Capitol to stop the certification of an election?

You've gone completely off the deep end.

The opinion piece seems to be somewhat problematic, lol. Shocker, right?

Yes, your tribe would never try to censure language. Oh wait, they do it all the time. Like way more than anyone else. They are busy right now regulating speech in schools in a whole bunch of states.

You don’t have a high horse here so may as well dismount
    So basically he's saying that the Left censors speeches, and your best response is, "your side does it too"??

Funny thing is - nobody on the side of transgender rights wants to force anyone to transition.
    I am not super familiar with your country, but don't some states allow minors to transition, and what's more, they aren't required to tell the parents about it?

I am not super familiar with your country, but don't some states allow minors to transition, and what's more, they aren't required to tell the parents about it?
    Do you think that equals “forcing”? what is your definition of “transition”?

No doctor would ever do any surgery on a minor without proper consent from parents, with the possible exception of those minors who have been abandoned by their parents.

AFAIK, what some schools do allow is the child to go by a different name, or change their pronouns, without parental consent.

So basically he's saying that the Left censors speeches, and your best response is, "your side does it too"??
    The “left” doesn’t censor speech. But the right (certain governors, state legislators, right wing school boards) certainly has been on a censorship jag for over a year now.

Criticizing speech isn’t censorship. Censorship has to involve the government (some form of) outlawing speech in some way. Which is what the right is doing.

The “left” doesn’t censor speech. But the right (certain governors, state legislators, right wing school boards) certainly has been on a censorship jag for over a year now.

Criticizing speech isn’t censorship. Censorship has to involve the government (some form of) outlawing speech in some way. Which is what the right is doing.

it's the same as when the right decries cancel culture... no. you can say whatever you want, but people can/will hold you accountable for the things you say.

Agay high school English teacher in Alexandria, Virginia, says he has been repeatedly harassed and called anti-gay slurs by students.

In a letter to the Alexandria School Board obtained by the Washington Blade, Matthew Henry explained that he has taught at Alexandria City High School for 13 years and has “never previously been called fa***t” to his face.

… and there may not be much that the governor can legally do about it.
    “I have never been made to feel less than by any student that I can recall due to my sexuality, even if their religion, culture, church, neighborhood, friends, or family tells them otherwise,” he wrote.

But this year, he said he was called the slur twice in one month simply in response to his asking students to go to class. “A third time, I was physically threatened, though that word was not used,” he said.

Henry also said he feels like “my school and district is letting me down” because of their lack of action to support him.

“This is why I’m so shaken by this,” he said. “I am not allowed to defend myself and my instinct is to defend, both myself and others, especially LGBTQ+ students, in all aspects of my life. The word ‘fa***t’ immediately alerts me and other LGBTQ+ people that a situation is now dangerous. The response by campus leaders was very unsatisfactory.”

A statement from Julia Burgos, the Alexandria School System’s Chief of School & Community Relations, said that “safety is a top priority at Alexandria City Public Schools” and “we are dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all students, staff, visitors and members of our school community.”

“To that end,” the statement continued, “we place a strong emphasis on adherence to our Student Code of Conduct with our students. When we are made aware of matters that do not align with our code of conduct, we address them and take appropriate action with those students as warranted.”

An anonymous parent of a former student of Henry’s spoke to the Alexandria Times about the matter and called the situation “completely unacceptable.”

“Every parent should be angry; anyone who hears this should be angry,” he said. “If we can’t even protect or make a teacher who’s been there as long as Henry feel safe, how can we make a child feel safe?”

Henry finished his letter by emphasizing that the hallways of school are “an absolute NIGHTMARE.”

“I love being an educator,” he said. “I love this school, and teaching is something I think I’m really good at. Many in this building feel the same. It saddens me that a small group of students in this school is taking that away from us and is forcing many of us to look for off-ramps.”

Virginia is governed by anti-LGBTQ+ Republican Glenn Youngkin, who was elected in part based on his support of the so-called “parents’ rights” movement that seeks to shut down racially- and LGBTQ+-inclusive learning environments, calling such inclusion a form of “woke indoctrination.”..............

Why don't Republicans and right wingers just move to Russia? It's everything they want America to be and is already their. Plus, I'm pretty sure they can use the people. Putin will be very welcoming.

its crazy how much the RWNJ have in common with Putins ideology and Muslim ideology.
    Well, yes, but also Abrahamic faith ideology. All three regard homosexuality in the same manner. That in many instances different sects choose to ignore the admonitions does not mean that the admonitions are not there.

Men wrote these “laws” and used the cover of deity to justify their actions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom