2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Southern Baptists form a core part of the white evangelical Christian bloc that has reliably and overwhelmingly voted Republican in recent elections, and is expected to again in 2024.

But Southern Baptists are weighing their options in the GOP presidential primary field — some already lining up behind Donald Trump, others wary of the former president, whom most evangelical voters supported in previous elections despite his vulgar language, serial marriages and sexual bravado. Some are looking at what Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis or other candidates might offer.

But even critics of many Baptist voters' embrace of hard-right politics have little doubt where this is headed in November 2024 — support for whichever candidate emerges from the GOP nomination process. The only question is the extent of the fervor they bring to the polls.

In addition to Trump and DeSantis, other GOP candidates have made a point of proclaiming their Christian convictions, including former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, former Vice President Mike Pence and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott. Pence spoke to the SBC annual meeting in 2018.

“There is a segment of the white evangelical populace, they’re looking for a way to distance themselves with the deal with the devil they made in 2016" in supporting Trump, said the Rev. Joel Bowman Sr. of Louisville, Kentucky, who was among several Black pastors who left the SBC in 2021 in dismay over what they saw as a racial backlash in a denomination that had once formally repented of its forebears' racism.

“Whether that’s Ron DeSantis or Mike Pence, one thing you can be assured of is most of the white evangelical populace is going to be in alignment with some GOP candidate, whoever that might be,” said Bowman, pastor of Temple of Faith Baptist Church, which maintains ties to SBC churches on the state and local level.

Albert Mohler — longtime president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary also in Louisville, and one of the denomination's most prominent leaders — said he hopes “the Republican Party nominee will be someone not named Donald Trump.”

Mohler said opposition to abortion is non-negotiable.

“It's unclear where Donald Trump is placing himself vis a vis that issue,” Mohler said. He's looking for someone “sharper on the issues and carrying less baggage.”

It's the latest turn in Mohler's response to Trump. In 2016, he said evangelicals' support for Trump undermined their credibility. But he later said he was pleased with Trump's actions in office, particularly in appointing the Supreme Court justices who provided the tipping point needed to overturn the Roe v. Wade decision...........

One of Trump's staunchest supporters in this and past elections is Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas.

“When Trump first announced his re-election bid last November I predicted that some evangelicals would ‘kick the tires’ of other candidates but would eventually coalesce around Trump as they did in 2016,” Jeffress said via email. “However, ‘eventually’ happened even more quickly than even I expected.”

Jeffress, who began backing Trump during the 2016 primary season, said evangelicals are concluding that only Trump can defeat Biden. Jeffress cited issues traditionally important to evangelicals in calling Trump “the most pro-life, pro-religious liberty, and pro-Israel president in history."..........

Southern Baptists form a core part of the white evangelical Christian bloc that has reliably and overwhelmingly voted Republican in recent elections, and is expected to again in 2024.

But Southern Baptists are weighing their options in the GOP presidential primary field — some already lining up behind Donald Trump, others wary of the former president, whom most evangelical voters supported in previous elections despite his vulgar language, serial marriages and sexual bravado. Some are looking at what Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis or other candidates might offer.

But even critics of many Baptist voters' embrace of hard-right politics have little doubt where this is headed in November 2024 — support for whichever candidate emerges from the GOP nomination process. The only question is the extent of the fervor they bring to the polls.

In addition to Trump and DeSantis, other GOP candidates have made a point of proclaiming their Christian convictions, including former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, former Vice President Mike Pence and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott. Pence spoke to the SBC annual meeting in 2018.

“There is a segment of the white evangelical populace, they’re looking for a way to distance themselves with the deal with the devil they made in 2016" in supporting Trump, said the Rev. Joel Bowman Sr. of Louisville, Kentucky, who was among several Black pastors who left the SBC in 2021 in dismay over what they saw as a racial backlash in a denomination that had once formally repented of its forebears' racism.

“Whether that’s Ron DeSantis or Mike Pence, one thing you can be assured of is most of the white evangelical populace is going to be in alignment with some GOP candidate, whoever that might be,” said Bowman, pastor of Temple of Faith Baptist Church, which maintains ties to SBC churches on the state and local level.

Albert Mohler — longtime president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary also in Louisville, and one of the denomination's most prominent leaders — said he hopes “the Republican Party nominee will be someone not named Donald Trump.”

Mohler said opposition to abortion is non-negotiable.

“It's unclear where Donald Trump is placing himself vis a vis that issue,” Mohler said. He's looking for someone “sharper on the issues and carrying less baggage.”

It's the latest turn in Mohler's response to Trump. In 2016, he said evangelicals' support for Trump undermined their credibility. But he later said he was pleased with Trump's actions in office, particularly in appointing the Supreme Court justices who provided the tipping point needed to overturn the Roe v. Wade decision...........

One of Trump's staunchest supporters in this and past elections is Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas.

“When Trump first announced his re-election bid last November I predicted that some evangelicals would ‘kick the tires’ of other candidates but would eventually coalesce around Trump as they did in 2016,” Jeffress said via email. “However, ‘eventually’ happened even more quickly than even I expected.”

Jeffress, who began backing Trump during the 2016 primary season, said evangelicals are concluding that only Trump can defeat Biden. Jeffress cited issues traditionally important to evangelicals in calling Trump “the most pro-life, pro-religious liberty, and pro-Israel president in history."..........

Anyone who considers themselves a Christian who voted for Trump has already betrayed their faith. You cannot defend the indefensible without losing your integrity. They are lost.

This is how crazy DeSantis is. Manifestly unfit for office:

1686073992687.png

1686074009054.png

1686074036475.png

when you think "motorcycle ridin' bad arse" you think Mike Pence

If You Can Read This, Mother Fell Off

to be fair (not that i'm defending Pence) you can insert any candidate with either party. They sling mud at each other viciosly, then the ones that lose fall in line and support each other..
    I agree to a point, but I think instead of a blanket avowal to support anyone who gets the nomination, it would have been nice if he had said, unless that person is under federal indictment. That’s a pretty low bar to clear, lol.

to be fair (not that i'm defending Pence) you can insert any candidate with either party. They sling mud at each other viciosly, then the ones that lose fall in line and support each other..
    None of the other candidates are having espionage charges drawn up against them at the moment. It's not an equivalency.

in 'normal' politics absolutely

But this isn't a normal situation

It's not even just Trump's current and future charges

Trump put a target on Pence's back for a violent and unruly mob, and who's response to being told the crowd was chanting "Hang Mike Pence" (while only a few dozen yards from where he was) was basically "Oh well, he should have done what I told him to"

There should be a line that when crossed falling in line isn't an option, and if Trump putting himself and his family in very real mortal danger isn't that line for Pence what is?

Last edited:

Trump is decidedly unlike any other candidate. He foments violence. He whipped a crowd into a frenzy to attack the Capitol, a crowd that wanted blood. He put people in danger, including Pence and his family. For Pence to say he would support Trump is to display a level of spinelessness to make jellyfish jealous.

Trump is decidedly unlike any other candidate. He foments violence. He whipped a crowd into a frenzy to attack the Capitol, a crowd that wanted blood. He put people in danger, including Pence and his family. For Pence to say he would support Trump is to display a level of spinelessness to make jellyfish jealous.
    Pence is now saying he chose the Constitution over Trump, but would pardon all the 6Jan Criminals. And how about describing Trump as the Ring Leader of the insurrection? Nope. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too…:confused:

Last edited:
    Pence is now saying he chose the Constitution over Trump, but would pardon all the 6Jan Criminals. And how about describing Trump as the Ring Leader if the insurrection? Nope. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too…:confused:

This is why I don't attempt to define a line between far right extremism and most of American conservatism anymore. It's corrupted to its core. Pence is a zealot who has made it clear in his support of another hypothetical Trump presidency that he cannot, and should not, be distinguished from the rest.

A DeSantis worker, a nice-enough looking fairly young (30s) woman, came to our door this morning, I was at work. My wife answered.

Worker: Hi, do you support Ron DeSantis to be our next president?
    Wife: No.
    Worker: Can I ask why?
    Wife: No.
    Worker: Okay, have a nice day!

I wish I had been there, I would have loved to tell her why.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom