2024 GOP Presidential Race (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

In a movie, Ryan Binkley would be storming towards the presidency.

At more than 6ft tall, with a strong jaw and an athletic physique, Binkley looks the quintessential Hollywood vision of a political leader. The long-shot Republicancandidate for president wears well-cut suits and has a full head of dark brown hair. He has a lovely set of teeth, nice shiny shoes, and he smells nice.

But Binkley’s problem? No one knows who he is.

The Texan, a pastor and co-founder of a financial services company, has spent more than $8m of his own money on his quixotic presidential campaign. He has been running for president for more than nine months: three-quarters of a year spent in the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

The sum total of his efforts so far has been almost zero attention from US media, a lot of puzzlement when he introduces himself to people, and 774 votes in Iowa.

On Thursday night Binkley strode confidently into one of his political events, held in a back room of a bar in Manchester, New Hampshire. There was a broad grin fixed on his face, and his right palm was pre-extended, ready to shake the hands of potential voters.

That didn’t take long. Only two people had turned up. And they weren’t eligible to vote in New Hampshire.

“You know, I’ve been to meetings with one person in it,” Binkley said. “It’s disheartening sometimes, but you know, you do it 200 times and you get used to it.”

Binkley is trying to sell people his version of Republicanism: budget balancing and small government, with a heavy dash of Christianity-inspired social conservatism. It’s the faith bit that inspired Binkley to run for president.

“I am a business owner, I’m a pastor,” he said.

“And God spoke to me many years ago about this. It became increasingly clear that he had a message for our country that … I think is this: we are so far in debt, we’re at a precipice. Something’s coming financially that we’re not ready for. I don’t know what it is.”

It would be unfair to paint Binkley as solely a religious candidate – even if his campaign literature stresses that one of his aims is “restoring trust in God and each other”.……

In a movie, Ryan Binkley would be storming towards the presidency.

At more than 6ft tall, with a strong jaw and an athletic physique, Binkley looks the quintessential Hollywood vision of a political leader. The long-shot Republicancandidate for president wears well-cut suits and has a full head of dark brown hair. He has a lovely set of teeth, nice shiny shoes, and he smells nice.

But Binkley’s problem? No one knows who he is.

The Texan, a pastor and co-founder of a financial services company, has spent more than $8m of his own money on his quixotic presidential campaign. He has been running for president for more than nine months: three-quarters of a year spent in the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

The sum total of his efforts so far has been almost zero attention from US media, a lot of puzzlement when he introduces himself to people, and 774 votes in Iowa.

On Thursday night Binkley strode confidently into one of his political events, held in a back room of a bar in Manchester, New Hampshire. There was a broad grin fixed on his face, and his right palm was pre-extended, ready to shake the hands of potential voters.

That didn’t take long. Only two people had turned up. And they weren’t eligible to vote in New Hampshire.

“You know, I’ve been to meetings with one person in it,” Binkley said. “It’s disheartening sometimes, but you know, you do it 200 times and you get used to it.”

Binkley is trying to sell people his version of Republicanism: budget balancing and small government, with a heavy dash of Christianity-inspired social conservatism. It’s the faith bit that inspired Binkley to run for president.

“I am a business owner, I’m a pastor,” he said.

“And God spoke to me many years ago about this. It became increasingly clear that he had a message for our country that … I think is this: we are so far in debt, we’re at a precipice. Something’s coming financially that we’re not ready for. I don’t know what it is.”

It would be unfair to paint Binkley as solely a religious candidate – even if his campaign literature stresses that one of his aims is “restoring trust in God and each other”.……

The reincarnation of Ron Paul.

Official

I think this is very good news, because this is the best that we can hope for. Haley can now focus all of her campaign against Trump. My hope is that she stays in the race all the way till the end. If Trump gets convicted before the convention, then maybe Haley will still get the nomination. I don’t relish a Haley presidency, but it wouldn’t be as disastrous as Trump. DeSantis also didn’t respect laws, while at least Haley seems to. I can stomach a Haley vs Democratic candidate race, because I think democracy would be preserved. At that point, I wouldn’t even object to a 3rd party run by anyone not named Trump.

I think this is very good news, because this is the best that we can hope for. Haley can now focus all of her campaign against Trump. My hope is that she stays in the race all the way till the end. If Trump gets convicted before the convention, then maybe Haley will still get the nomination. I don’t relish a Haley presidency, but it wouldn’t be as disastrous as Trump. DeSantis also didn’t respect laws, while at least Haley seems to. I can stomach a Haley vs Democratic candidate race, because I think democracy would be preserved. At that point, I wouldn’t even object to a 3rd party run by anyone not named Trump.
    The only way Haley wins the presidency is if Trump were to endorse her after losing to her in the primary. The only way Trump does that is if Haley agrees to be his puppet. Haley wouldn't be able to go back on that agreement, because the Republicans in Congress wouldn't allow any legislation she supports to be passed.

If Haley or any Republican besides Trump wins the presidency, our democracy will still be in as much danger as if Trump won, because Trump and his fellow anti-democratic Republicans control the Republican party, including Haley. Most of the people in the Republican party support the party's anti-democratic goals.

Don't be fooled by Haley's more pleasant facade, she wants the same things Trump and the current Republicans want, which is bad for everyone except for a small minority of the country. It's actually bad for that small minority too, because they will force the majority of the country to fight back against them and the minority will lose badly and painfully.

Last edited:
    hell he never really ran it was a sham run he always supported trump
    DeSantis worked very hard in Iowa. He visited all 99 counties in that state. It is so easy for you to tap out a post on this forum thread passing judgment. WHO are YOU to say that?

DeSantis worked very hard in Iowa. He visited all 99 counties in that state. It is so easy for you to tap out a post on this forum thread passing judgment. WHO are YOU to say that?
    Hey, relax, everyone is entitled to an opinion. You can take issue with the opinion but you shouldn’t try to say someone isn’t entitled to have one.

I do agree that he very much attempted to run. And he had a lot of momentum early on. But there was always one huge problem with Ron DeSantis’s campaign: Ron DeSantis has no personal appeal whatsoever. He’s terribly awkward, his policy ideas are not supported by that many people, he has a fairly terrible record in Florida, and his political instincts are all wrong.

I’m honestly surprised he got as far as he did - I guess it’s Florida so who knows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom