2024 GOP Presidential Race (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Linda Portel has watched a barrage of presidential campaign commercials this year from her living room in Urbandale, Iowa. Many have faded from her memory. But one stuck with her: an ad attacking Nikki Haley that Portel viewed as sexist.

The 30-second spot tying Haley to Hillary Clinton is just the kind of broadside that Portel, who is undecided, and other Haley admirers worry could derail the former U.N. ambassador’s long-shot bid to defeat Donald Trump for the Republican nomination.

A former Trump supporter, Portel is concerned that the misleading portrayal of Haley as an acolyte of a former female candidate reviled by conservatives could hurt her in the crucial weeks ahead.

“Unfortunately, people don’t read between the lines,” said Portel, 76, in an interview.

As Haley has risen in the polls in recent months amid a shrinking GOP field, she has faced escalating attacks from rivals and their allies that critics regard as sexist and meant to single out her gender in a Republican Party that has been slower than Democrats to elevate women

into some of the most prominent elected offices. The party remains dominated by Trump, who routinely attacks women with sexist and demeaning language and was this year found liable for sexual abuse.

Interviews with more than 40 Republican voters, activists and officials in key early states show a party that has never nominated a woman for president navigating conflicting opinions, including some signs of voter unease at the prospect, even as Haley has grown her support and seeks to cement her position as Trump’s top GOP challenger.

Some Haley backers say they are increasingly concerned about this trend — and what they see as efforts from rival candidates and their allies to exploit it.

Haley supporter Bart Weller, who attended her town hall in Ankeny, Iowa, summed up some of the challenges that Haley faces when he recalled one of his brothers bluntly telling him, “I don’t want to vote for a woman to be president.”
Male rivals have gone after Haley in ways that some GOP critics say is either flatly sexist or carries sexist undertones.

Trump has labeled Haley “birdbrain.” He told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt earlier this year that she was “overly ambitious” and “just couldn’t stay in her seat.” (Haley has said being called ambitious used to bother her, but now she considers it being a “badass”).

Biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy has suggested Haley should switch over to “the party of identity politics” and claimed her “gender-card shtick is pathetic & straight out of the Kamala Harris / Hillary Clinton playbook.”……

This is amazing. Haley said over 100 words about the Civil War and never once mentioned slavery. Not her best moment. This was in New Hampshire, btw.

I've mentioned that to a couple people before when they say "Civil war wasn't about slavery, it was about States Rights!" they usually get mad when i ask the states right to do what specifically?

then they don't believe me when i tell them in the CSA's Constitution specially put in the right to own slaves. smh..

Here is a statement from Haley years ago. And much of my problem with her has to do with the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any moral compass evident. This guy calls her a “shape-shifter” and I think that’s pretty accurate, and damning.

No third party ticket is winning 25 states.
    ===============================

Third parties could hurt Donald Trump as much as Joe Biden in the 2024 presidential election, the group No Labels has claimed, insisting that its contentious effort to build a unity ticket cannot be compared to spoiler candidates of the past.

“We’re not spoiling anything,” No Labels’ Jay Nixon, a lifelong Democrat who spent 30 years serving Missouri as a governor, attorney general and state senator, told the Guardian.

The centrist group is preparing for the strongest third-party presidential bid since the Texas businessman Ross Perot earned nearly 19% of the popular vote in 1992. It has gained ballot access in 12 states so far. But No Labels’ critics in the Democratic party have warned that it could siphon votes that would otherwise go to Biden.

They point to Green party examples such as Ralph Nader, who in 2000 polled at less than 3% but was widely blamed for depriving Al Gore of critical votes, and Jill Stein, who in 2016 notched just 1% but may have made all the difference in battleground states that Hillary Clinton lost by a similar margin.

Ryan Clancy, chief strategist at No Labels, told the Guardian: “There is no parallel between what those two did and what we’re doing, the reason being Ralph Nader and Jill Stein were leftwing protest candidates. The only votes they were ever going to pull were going to be votes that otherwise went to Gore or Hillary Clinton.

Clancy pointed to a recent USA Today newspaper opinion poll that showed the leftwing independent candidate Cornel West eating into Biden’s support but rival Robert Kennedy Jr taking votes from Trump. He said: “The takeaway there is whether the independent pulls from one side or the other depends on who the independent is.

“Some are bad for Biden, some are bad for Trump, some it’s a wash. The problem we have is that for a year now the people attacking us just keep hammering home if an independent runs, it by definition can only help Trump and we don’t agree with them.”…….

Polling has shown that most Americans have no appetite for a Biden v Trump rematch. The current president’s approval rating sits in the 30s while his predecessor’s hovers in the low 40s. Although no third party candidate has ever come close to winning a presidential election, No Labels claims that its polling shows a unity ticket could realistically prevail in 25 states – enough to win the electoral college.……

Clancy pointed out that there have been two lines of attack on No Labels. “One of which is: you know what, even if you guys think you’re doing the right thing, the unintended consequence of what you’re doing is you’re going to help Trump. I don’t agree with that, but OK, we can have a debate about that.

“There’s another line of argument which is: look, you want to help Trump, that’s the secret goal, which is so stupid, because for starters, I came up in Democratic politics – I used to work for Joe Biden – and I don’t ever want to see Donald Trump in the White House again.

“For me, there’s no equivalency between the two of them. Governor Nixon said the same thing. All our co-chairs have said that. Why would these people who have multi-decade careers in civil rights and public service put their whole reputation on the line so they can be part of a secret cabal to help Trump? It doesn’t pass the stupid test but that doesn’t stop our opponents from saying it.”………

Last edited:
    WAUKEE, Iowa — Asa Hutchinson surveyed the beer and burger joint. “Do we have any Iowans here?” the Republican presidential candidate asked dubiously.

He hesitated, knowing there weren’t many. Most of those staring back were students visiting from Duke University, attending Iowa caucus campaign events hosted by several candidates to learn more about the state’s democratic tradition.

One woman couldn’t quite figure out who he was. “Was he a state trooper?” wondered Debbie White, who was visiting Iowa and had heard snippets of Hutchinson’s speech on fentanyl and immigration.

Canvassing earlier in the day also gave rise to some confusion. “I knocked on a door today, and they said they loved me,” Hutchinson said in an interview. “And they said, ‘Who are you going support?’ and I said, ‘I’m still running.’

”
There are long shots, longer shots, and then there is Hutchinson, a former two-term Arkansas governor turned 2024 footnote. Months after better-polling, better-funded candidates such as Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and former vice president Mike Pence concluded they had no path in a race dominated by former president Donald Trump and ended their campaigns, Hutchinson is still running…….

This should interesting!

I've mentioned that to a couple people before when they say "Civil war wasn't about slavery, it was about States Rights!" they usually get mad when i ask the states right to do what specifically?

then they don't believe me when i tell them in the CSA's Constitution specially put in the right to own slaves. smh..
    To add on this.

Starting around 50:01 minute where Steve Inskeep explains why this idea that the Civil War wasn't about slavery is incorrect.

Captioning below:

WHY DON'T I PICK UP ON THE IDEA OF WHAT THE CIVIL WAR WAS FOUGHT ABOUT? HE MADE THE ASSERTION, WHICH IS VERY COMMON, SO I'M GLAD HE BROUGHT IT UP, THE IDEA THAT THE CIVIL WAR WAS NOT ABOUT SLAVERY. I THINK YOU SAID IT WAS ABOUT STATES FIGHTING OVER MONEY. PEOPLE SAY IT IS ABOUT STATES RIGHTS. THE CIVIL WAR WAS STARTED BY SOUTHERN STATES OVER SLAVERY FOR THE PURPOSE OF PRESERVING SLAVERY AND THE REASON WE KNOW THIS IS BECAUSE THEY SAID SO, THEY PUBLICLY SAID SO. ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS EXAMPLES, AND NOT THE ONLY ONE, COMES FROM ALEXANDER STEPHENS, WHO WAS THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERACY, WHO IN EARLY 1861, AS THE WAR WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN, GAVE WHAT IS KNOWN AS THE CORNERSTONE SPEECH IN WHICH HE SAID SLAVERY WAS THE CORNERSTONE OF THIS NEW REPUBLIC THAT HE AND OTHERS WERE TRYING TO FOUND. HE SAYS EXPLICITLY IN THIS SPEECH THAT THERE HAD BEEN IN AMERICA UP TO THEM AN IDEA OF EQUALITY AND THAT THIS IDEA OF EQUALITY WAS AN ERROR. IT WAS A MISTAKE. OTHER PEOPLE AT THAT TIME SAW AMERICA AS A LAND OF EQUALITY WHERE THERE WAS THIS ABERRATION OF SLAVERY, THIS HORRIBLE, EVIL ABERRATION OF SLAVERY THAT CONFLICTED WITH THE FOUNDING. STEVENS IS SAYING THE OPPOSITE, THAT EQUALITY IS WRONG, AND WE SHOULD BUILD A NEW NATION ON THIS RACIAL CASTE SYSTEM, AND THIS IS A GUY WHO WAS ABOUT TO BECOME THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERACY. WE CAN FIND OTHER EXAMPLES. SO I THINK WE CAN BELIEVE THE PEOPLE WHO STARTED THE WAR AND FIRED THE FIRST SHOT IN WHY THEY DID THAT BECAUSE THEY SO PUBLICLY SAID THAT IT WAS ABOUT SLAVERY.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom